Forum Index > Trip Reports > Upper Big Quilcene + Buckhorn
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Hesman

Hesman
PostThu Aug 04, 2011 6:20 pm 
Had a magical day off from any and all types of paid employment on August 3rd, so I decided to head up to Marmot Pass and Buckhorn via the Upper Big Quilcene Trail. It was also planned to look for the Gray-crowned Rosy-finch again. I think I heard it while on the summit of Buckhorn, but I wasn't sure as it was very cloudy and by the time I had the bino's ready for searching I didn't hear anymore bird calls. Left the full parking lot, 10 cars for a Wednesday(!), a few minutes before 9:00. Chugged up the trail to Shelter Rock and took a break. Chugged up the trail to Camp Mystery where I found 8 tents. Count 'em! 8 tents at Camp Mystery in the middle of the week. I have never seen that many tents at Camp Mystery before. I remember hiking to Marmot Pass and Buckhorn in the mid-1980's and seeing no one else. Ah yes, the good old days. The Marmot Pass area has become quite the attraction for people in the last 10 years. Its a place kind of not worth going to anymore as it is becoming loved to death. Took another rest at the pass before heading up to the summit of Buckhorn. I ate lunch just below the false summit so I could have a view of Marmot Pass and watched some clouds move in. After lunch I hiked the rest of the way to the summit, which I had to myself. Near the summit, I found a sizable patch of the endemic Flett's Violet, which has got to be one of the prettiest violets. I stayed on the summit for nearly an hour before heading back down to Marmot Pass. One the way down to Marmot Pass I passed 6 pack goats with 3 people on their way to Marmot Pass coming from the Tubal Cain trailhead. Rested at Marmot Pass for a little bit before making it out to the trailhead from Marmot Pass in 2 hours flat.
Salmonberry
Salmonberry
Yellow Wood Violet
Yellow Wood Violet
Tiger Lily
Tiger Lily
Western Pasque Flower
Western Pasque Flower
Flett's Violet
Flett's Violet
Red Columbine
Red Columbine
Big Quilcene River
Big Quilcene River
Meadow Above Camp Mystery
Meadow Above Camp Mystery
Mt. Mystery
Mt. Mystery
Ridge Above Buckhorn Pass
Ridge Above Buckhorn Pass
Clouds and Mountains
Clouds and Mountains
Pack Goats
Pack Goats
Pine Trees
Pine Trees
Heather Creek Valley
Heather Creek Valley
Pack Goats
Pack Goats

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Aug 04, 2011 7:52 pm 
What a great area. I was surprised last year when I did Buckhorn during the week it was a little crowded on the summit. Did you talk to the goat people? If so what was the story with the goats? Last year up Tubal Cain I saw a troop of girl scouts leading llamas up hauling their gear. Thought that was kind of cool.

FungiFan

FungiFan
PostThu Aug 04, 2011 8:30 pm 
We noticed the crowds too on our trip on Tuesday. I'm blaming pent up demand with the late snow melt. We were up in that area several times last summer in August and Sept and there were not many people at all. Great pictures as usual and thanks for ID'ing the flowers, now I know several more. FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
coho

coho
PostThu Aug 04, 2011 9:42 pm 
Nice flower photos. It takes skill to get flower photos beyond the ordinary. That has to be one of the busiest trails in the Olympics I would think.

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Aug 04, 2011 9:51 pm 
coho wrote:
That has to be one of the busiest trails in the Olympics I would think.
Yea since at least one hiking book I have mentions if you are going to do only one hike in the Olympics, do the trail up to Marmot Pass. lol.gif

Ancient Ambler

Ancient Ambler
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 6:56 am 
Great photos of a great area, HJT. You're a real master at bringing back the fine flower shots. Thanks for sharing!

Don

Don
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 7:00 am 
I must echo AA's sentiment on your flower shots. Score! up.gif

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 pm 
Go easy on yourself. Those all are some great flower pics. Thanks for the report HJ

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 11:05 am 
Hes you are the flower king. Great report about an area you first turned me onto. Did you get up to Charlia Pass?

marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 4:19 pm 
Absolutely lovely. It looks like a great place to explore.

Perry

Perry
PostSat Aug 06, 2011 9:25 pm 
That was us with the pack goats. My wife and I can’t carry overnight backpacks any more, so the goats allow us to still get out in the mountains. Our granddaughter was with us. A mountain goat did start to come down to visit our camp the next morning. He got within about 150 ft. when we made enough noise/movement that he turned around and promptly headed back up over the ridge. Our goats just stood there and watched him. I was surprised how busy it was. It was a great trip for us…no rain, lots of wildflowers, and few bugs.