Forum Index > Trip Reports > 8/6-8/7 - Tubal Cain to Buckhorn Pass towards Marmot Pass
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schryder

Schryder
PostWed Aug 10, 2011 9:11 pm 
Last weekend we made it to above Buckhorn Pass and had a great time. It's snow-free and easy-breezy to the pass and only a few patches of snow between the pass and the ridge below the peak. Apparently it was also snowfree to the top of Buckhorn as we understood it. There is still snow between Buckhorn pass and Marmot Pass -- several people made it over from Marmot, and several people turned back in the attempt... We got on the trail very late, and were past the Tubal Cain mine by 4:30 or so. Just about then the clouds dropped into the valley and we had to settle with hiking along beautiful flower meadows and looking at cloud draped ridges. **The last water source before the pass is a running snowbank right before the turnoff to the lake, or 0.1m down the trail towards the lake** As we missed the last water source and were running out as evening approached - we were looking for the first flat place next to a snowfield, and were happy to drop our packs when we found one. Shout out to the guy who gave us almost a liter of water, that was very helpful! We were basically in the clouds at this point. As we ate dinner we were passed by a father and son who had started from the trailhead at 6:30 PM (they were much faster than us). About halfway through the sunset we looked up and noticed that the clouds were gone. We walked about 100 yards and found ourselves at the pass! We had no idea. The father and son had an awesome site right on the pass - oh well. The views of the Gray Wolf range were fantastic, and the cloud layer had dropped across the Dungeness valley - leaving the peaks poking above a cloud sea. We enjoyed the last of the light, including meeting two guys who came down from Marmot at dark and were going to go all the way down the trail that night. They had decided they'd rather spend the day somewhere cool and put up with a crappy night in exchange.
Clouds over the Dungeness valley, looking at the Gray Wolf range,.
Clouds over the Dungeness valley, looking at the Gray Wolf range,.
Straight out of the camera.  Clouds across the Dungeness valley to the Gray Wolf range
Straight out of the camera. Clouds across the Dungeness valley to the Gray Wolf range
Since we had neglected to refill our water in time, and only had one small jetboil canister so couldn't melt too much snow - Mary volunteered to run down to the lake and get us water so we could explore the area above before we headed home. It turns out to have been much farther than we remembered - so fill up by the time you pass the trail to the lake, or bring enough fuel. While she was gone, I packed up our gear and then futzed around taking pictures (I got the better end of that deal for sure).
View towards Buckhorn Mountain etc from the Buckhorn Pass area
View towards Buckhorn Mountain etc from the Buckhorn Pass area
Looking up the ridge towards the path to Marmot Pass
Looking up the ridge towards the path to Marmot Pass
At the knoll to the right of Buckhorn pass, I ran across what I think was a young pine marten - based on google. It was probably 5-7" long w/o the tail, and had a bushy tail that I would guess was 4" long. Is that what this is?
Pine Marten?
Pine Marten?
Another view of the suspected Pine Marten.
Another view of the suspected Pine Marten.
When Mary got back, we headed up with the intention of climbing up Buckhorn Mountain. The walk there was a beautiful ridge walk with views for days. We ended up getting to the top of the ridge that takes you to Buckhorn, but the clouds rolled in and we decided to call it a day.
Up the ridge on the way to Marmot Pass.  We stopped right about in the center of this picture - highest point towards the right.
Up the ridge on the way to Marmot Pass. We stopped right about in the center of this picture - highest point towards the right.
Nice ridge walk.
Nice ridge walk.
The trail back can be seen far off in the distance...but there was still quite a ways after that.
The trail back can be seen far off in the distance...but there was still quite a ways after that.
The flowers were bangin, but they weren't in drifts - more like tons of different varieties spread out over every meadow.
The flowers were bangin, but they weren't in drifts - more like tons of different varieties spread out over every meadow.
The walk back to the trailhead was much longer than I remembered, but they always are I suppose. The last three miles were significantly worse than the first three, and they were pretty lame the first time. All in all, a fantastic trip that I would highly recommend. It wasn't too crowded at all and in the immediate pass area there were only us and the one other party on a Saturday night. A group (that already posted a TR on here I think) stayed on the first big hump up towards the pass, which also looked like a great spot. Have fun out there everyone, Carl
Cleo in the Lupine
Cleo in the Lupine
Cleo in the Lupine
Cleo in the Lupine

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tag Man
side hiller

Tag Man
side hiller
PostThu Aug 11, 2011 8:27 am 
Cool Pine Martin! At least that is certainly what it looks like. Can't say I've ever seen one of those while out and about. Nice report.

FungiFan

FungiFan
PostThu Aug 11, 2011 9:54 am 
Sure looks like a martin. Fishers (a close relative) have been reintroduced to the ONP but are much bigger than you describe. Great pictures! FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
Phil

Phil
PostThu Aug 11, 2011 6:04 pm 
Schryder wrote:
Straight out of the camera.  Clouds across the Dungeness valley to the Gray Wolf range
Straight out of the camera. Clouds across the Dungeness valley to the Gray Wolf range
What a shot. Almost looks artificial, like something made with a digital art program.