Forum Index > Trip Reports > Backpack north from Harts Pass to Canada Aug 19-22?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
CBTalbert

CBTalbert
PostThu Aug 11, 2011 1:43 pm 
Looking for feedback from anyone who has gone north from Harts Pass or south from Manning BC and could advise whether a group could reasonably make this trip Aug 19-22 without steep icy ice-axe traverses and extensive (slow) route-finding. Thank you!

Cheryl aka TreeLady
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
CBTalbert

CBTalbert
PostFri Aug 12, 2011 8:22 am 
Thank you...my real concern is with any steep snowfields that we might have to cross, because the group doesn't have ice-axe skills. Any direct info on how treacherous the route is likely to be? I am expecting consolidated snow that can hold kick-stepped tracks pretty readily but not sure of the exposure to long falls. I'm anticipating long stretches above the snowline based on what I've heard so far, and Rock Pass in particular appears very steep on the northern descent.

Cheryl aka TreeLady
mike

mike
PostFri Aug 12, 2011 11:01 am 
What is the current info on the border crossing red tape?

jackchinook

jackchinook
PostFri Aug 12, 2011 11:07 am 
you can legally cross north into Canada, according to them, but I believe you need to check with their customs office first. There is no legal way to come into the US without going through an official point of entry. Call the Methow Valley Ranger District office in Winthrop for PCT conditions. I know that the backcountry rangers have already been out and back, probably multiple times.

cartman

cartman
PostFri Aug 12, 2011 12:44 pm 
I just called the Winthrop RS. They said the PCT is still largely snow-covered from Rainy Pass to Hart's Pass with "potentially hazardous areas". You'll need to call to find out what it's like from Hart's Pass north, but expect snow.

CBTalbert

CBTalbert
PostFri Aug 12, 2011 8:04 pm 
Go to PCTA.org for info on crossing legally into Canada from the US on the PCT. You need to send in a form(available for download on the site) to apply for a permit to make the crossing, accompanied by color copies of 2 forms of ID. No charge for the permit but it does take a little time because you can't e-mail or fax the form. The website says that permits must be submitted before June 30 but that is 'only a guideline' according to them and you can submit applications later than that without an issue. I made it a point to do this because in my past experience it's very difficulty to cross back into the US without the right paperwork for entry into Canada. (We are going back by bus from Manning)

Cheryl aka TreeLady
CBTalbert

CBTalbert
PostFri Aug 12, 2011 8:06 pm 
Thanks cartman - I did call Methow Valley RS and they have a trail crew working the PCT north of Harts right now. Hope to get a report from the crew by Monday - they expect to be done with that section of the trail by then. I'm anticipating snow for much of the route - what a summer!! Already snowed out of a Tuolumne Valley backpack this season.

Cheryl aka TreeLady
Tortoise

Tortoise
PostSat Aug 13, 2011 10:03 pm 
Hi Getting a permit for crossing in to Canada was surprisingly easy. I called and spoke with a very kind man named Barry and sent in the required papers and it took maybe a week or a little more altogether. Happily we didn't need the permit. For current PCT conditions, esp Rock Pass, please see my trip report just posted. We definitely needed our ice axes. Good Luck!!