Forum Index > Trip Reports > Skinnydipping @ Sekrit Swimming Holz (rekrab yellav) 7.30.11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostMon Aug 01, 2011 7:23 pm 
Yes, there are pictures. moon.gif But b/c this place is SO SEKRIT, I'm doing a trimmed down version of my usual trip report. OK, not really. This place is in plenty of guide books, just like Bathtub, er, I mean Buthtab Sekal. winksmile.gif It was a hot & humid day, & the idea of finding some swimming holes nestled in an infrequently visited area was mighty tantalizing. slobber.gif We took a long narrow bumpy rd. to get to the TH, & as is with many of our hikes, no one else was there when we arrived. up.gif up.gif
Parking area
Parking area
TH
TH
We descended gently down an old rd. that eventually turned into a "new" trail, although by "new" we quickly realized that it didn't necessarily mean "better". suuure.gif
The valley
The valley
View southish
View southish
After switchbacking down the hot open south slope, we reached the valley. We turned southerly to reach the creek, then made our way downstream about a mile to the sekrit swimming holz. Of course the book neglected to mention all the POISON OAK we had to carefully prune our way through. eek.gif shakehead.gif
Shallow pools
Shallow pools
Lone fir
Lone fir
Thunderclouds
Thunderclouds
Big puffy clouds built up to the east, & soon we heard thunder. It was far enough away that we decided to take our chances & press on. After slowly & painstakingly making our way through thickets of poison oak, traversing some steep & slippery slopes, we finally spotted the structure near the pools that the book mentioned. We figured the real holz were a tad further down, but time was running short so we settled for a nice big pool here. We had brought bathing suits, but since we had seen no one else on the trail we took our chances & freeballed it. hockeygrin.gif tongue.gif The thing I was more concerned about was the nasty snakes I had seen swimming in a pool a little further upstream. huh.gif I hate snakes & the thought of swimming w/them was more than a little disgusting. down.gif Nevertheless the water temp was just right to cool me off before our long slog back up the hill in the sun, so I put aside my snake fears for just a little bit. embarassedlaugh.gif
Structure below
Structure below
Naked MM
Naked MM
After the dip
After the dip
Thankfully I never saw a snake in the pool, & no other hikers came waltzing up to the shore while we were taking the dip. As we toweled off, the rumbling of thunder grew a little louder & we felt some raindrops. This was one of the rare times I actually welcomed the rain & wanted more of it. borank.gif Through the valley on the way back:
Nasty stuff
Nasty stuff
Ass in the air beetle
Ass in the air beetle
Big tree
Big tree
MM in the brush
MM in the brush
Why the long face?
Why the long face?
& as we traversed northward across the valley to start climbing again, what should appear but a double rainbow. The upper one appeared a little after I took this pic, but was really faint anyway. So what does it MEAN?! lol.gif smoker.gif
What does it MEAN?!?
What does it MEAN?!?
& of course, no hike of ours wouldn't be complete w/o.......shadow shot & sunset pics. (You thought I was going to say "margaritas", right? Well, that too. wink.gif )
Long shadows
Long shadows
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset
Sunset

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 4:34 pm 
You both look incredibly refreshed and clean. Nice cloud shots! up.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostTue Aug 02, 2011 6:02 pm 
Rekrab Yellav is Russia right? dizzy.gif Looks like a nice time!

crazy62981

crazy62981
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 9:25 am 
Great trip report! Love the pics. winksmile.gif Where is this at? I'll have to check it out sometime.

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. -Thoreau
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostFri Aug 05, 2011 11:41 am 
Love your TRs always up.gif

BPLlama

BPLlama
PostMon Aug 08, 2011 11:31 pm 
The title reminded me of that one time a while back we went to the sekret tubs together but it was so friggin cold we couldn't get ourselves hyped up enough to have a dip in them. Looks like it's nice and warm to actually go skinny dippin in that hole there! up.gif Jason up.gif moon.gif

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostWed Aug 10, 2011 8:45 pm 
Yeah, it sure is nice to actually live in a place where it's warm enough to swim in the lakes & canyon pools! cool.gif up.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
JimK

JimK
PostWed Aug 10, 2011 9:32 pm 
Wadda ya mean it's too cold to swim in mountain lakes in August in the Northwest?
Chipmunk Pool
Chipmunk Pool

furthur
Berry Bagger

furthur
Berry Bagger
PostSat Aug 13, 2011 4:23 pm 
Bloated Chipmunk wrote:
Naked MM
Naked MM
Bet this got a high percentage of clicks. What is that building? The stonework looks beautiful, and the little runoff is like a painting.

"You're either on the bus or off the bus." Kesey