Forum Index > Trip Reports > No Bull - There's a Missing Link to Chain Lakes 08-13-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Aug 13, 2011 9:02 pm 
OK - for a number of reasons, the overnight to Chain Lakes and Bulls Tooth (to deposit the NW Hikers Traveling Register) turned into a day trip. The original Gang of 9, turned into a modest two (Driver and Middle E - Barry) along with Gus the lead dog. A day trip was a good decision and a bad decision. In any case, the Driver had done this trip four years ago with Trail Pair Bulls Tooth 2007. We decided to cut off about 3 1/2 miles by going up the Mill Creek Road (at the Stevens Pass Nordic Center turn). I don't think my Highlander has forgiven me! WARNING: Do not try this with Mom's Taurus! Likely my next repair bill will be a new suspension system! If you go this route, be aware that about 2 miles in you will come to a "Y" - take the left hand road. From there, the road turns from lousy to awful! We did a little minor road reconstruction at a small creek crossing in order to ensure that I wouldn't bottom out. It worked. From there you continue on to a hairpin turn (where you can pull over and park) or you can continue a little farther up the road to another turn-around and parking area - which is what we did, because there already was someone parked at the hairpin. NOTE: there is a "Caution" tape hung here by the creek and what looks to be the start of the trail.
Not here!
Not here!
That is NOT where you want to start. Keep going about 100' back down the road to what looks like a dry creek bed. It's actually the start of the trail and a very nice trail it is. There are a few blow-downs as you climb the 3/4 mile (and about 400') up to the PCT. These are nothing! Here's the junction with the PCT and the short cut.
Fork to the right is the short cut down to Mill Creek Road (this is the view heading north on the PCT)
Fork to the right is the short cut down to Mill Creek Road (this is the view heading north on the PCT)
From there, it's a short jaunt to Lake Susan Jane and continuing on the PCT to the junction with the Icicle Creek Trail. There's a little bit of snow on the PCT above Susan Jane - nothing much. And, there is some blow down - but nothing like what we would encounter.
Blow down on the PCT
Blow down on the PCT
Lake Susan Jane
Lake Susan Jane
Susan Jane
Susan Jane
Pondlet above Susan Jane is still partially frozen - Gus doesn't care!
Pondlet above Susan Jane is still partially frozen - Gus doesn't care!
Several forks in the road
Several forks in the road
We turned here to make our way along the north side of Lake Josephine.
Lake Josephine from the north
Lake Josephine from the north
It's a wonderful thing that even the illiterate have the opportunity to enjoy the beauty of the wilderness . . . . shakehead.gif
Probably couldn't read this!
Probably couldn't read this!
A few more than 12!
1 label
A few more than 12!
Our only explanation is that these folks were thinking in terms of meters and not miles! I hope a friendly Ranger happened upon them!!! But regardless, someone enjoyed the Lake.
Dork Dog looking to swim
1 label
Dork Dog looking to swim
We were cruising right along, making good time and dropped from Lake Josephine down to about 3800' to follow Icicle Creek - crossing little creek-lets along the way - going past the White Pine trail junction - it's about here that the "fun" begins! rolleyes.gif The blow downs are incredible! This pretty much shows our adventure!
Over
Over
Under
Under
More under
More under
Around
Around
This place is a mess! There was none of this in 2007. It took us at least an hour from Lake Josephine to the major Icicle Creek crossing. We knew we had a little ways to go, and there was no end in sight of the blow down. In fact, it looked worse!
A big mess!
A big mess!
Knocked down roots and all
Now what?
Now what?
It was daunting. At least we didn't have overnight packs on - but, at this rate, there is no way we would be able to get the traveling register to the summit of Bulls Tooth and make it back to the car in daylight! We didn't know what kind of conditions lay ahead, either (e.g. snow on the trail). We had to make a decision.
Where the heck is the junction?
Where the heck is the junction?
We decided to bail out - there was a reason we hadn't seen any trip reports yet this season for Chain Lakes/Bulls Tooth. On our way back, we ran into a guy who was solo and heading to Chain Lakes as an overnight. We cautioned him on the conditions ahead, but he was determined. So, hopefully, he will add onto this trip report and let all of us know what the conditions were like on the way to the Chains. If nothing else, at least the weather was perfect! Beautiful blue skies - not a cloud in evidence - and the temperature was ideal. On we trucked - back the way we came - stopping at the Pondlets above Lake Josephine for lunch. We considered going on up the PCT to the ridge by the ski area, but opted to head straight back to the car.
Ski area - Stevens Pass
Ski area - Stevens Pass
A great day to be out - not quite sure what we accomplished - other than a nice walk by some pretty lakes! I'll take it. Beats pulling weeds in the garden! agree.gif up.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Aug 13, 2011 9:16 pm 
Nice work guys. Dang, and I had hopped to get into the Chains that way. Ugh. Its gonna suck.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Aug 13, 2011 10:21 pm 
Wow, that's ugly. Between Whitepine and the Chain Lakes Trail was fairly brushy and had a few blowdowns in September of '09, but nothing anywhere near that bad.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostSat Aug 13, 2011 11:54 pm 
Yuck. That's too bad about the blowdowns.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer

Trailblazing Todd
Trail Wanderer
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 1:01 am 
The tree obstacle course is fun practice, is it not! eek.gif winksmile.gif What a difference 3 weeks makes.
Pondlet area
Pondlet area
View from Susan Jane (after)
View from Susan Jane (after)

Wherever the trail takes me.
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 8:38 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Nice work guys. Dang, and I had hopped to get into the Chains that way. Ugh. Its gonna suck.
BPJ - Yeah, we need to get John (Morrow) and a few of his burly FS friends up there along with their trusty cross-cuts to have at it for a few days! lol.gif Honestly, we tried everything - going further up-slope was just as awful. I supposed we could have waded in the creek! winksmile.gif rant.gif P.S. The bugs are in full bloom - fine when you're moving - but you become human suet stick once you stop!!! Double ugh. waah.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB

DRSpalding
Probably riding MTB
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 9:55 am 
Sigh, it sounds like I'll have to postpone my bike-hike-bike ramble of stashing a bike at Black Pine on Icicle Creek, day-hiking from Stevens Pass to the bike and riding back to Leavenworth for a Gustav burger and beer or a South mole enchilada and margarita before heading back over Stevens Pass. I want the hiking part of roughly 16 miles or so to be more of a cruise than a crusade against the blowdowns. Has anyone gone on the PCT from Stevens Pass to Lake Susan Jane? I am trying to schedule the 2/3 of a mini triathlon sometime during the last week of August.

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 11:09 am 
boy am I ever glad we opted out! An obstacle course is not what the doctor ordered at the moment. doh.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Type E

Type E
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 12:15 pm 
Glad you were able to find the secret shortcut trail, it makes Chain Lakes much more manageable as a day hike. At least the weather cooperated with you, I haven't had that luck in the few times I have been to Chain Lakes. I plan on being there in two weeks and thankfully I won't be using your approach. Eric

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 1:13 pm 
I know a guy who did that trip but to lower Doelle and back in a day hike the next day after you guys were there. He's an animal.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 2:07 pm 
So there have been 3 mantras for this summer... #1: "I can't believe how much snow there is here" #2: "At least it's not raining" and #3: "I can't believe how many trees are down here" What a summer! Glad you enjoyed your time outside! up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 3:50 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
A big mess!
A big mess!
Now what?
Now what?
This was the worst blowdown I've ever seen. No, it was not impenetrable. If you had to, you could get through it. But having no idea whether relief was 50 yards away or 500 yards away we didn't really agonize over deciding to turn back and try again another day or another route.

pithy yet insightful signature
Billoutwest

Billoutwest
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 6:29 pm 
Ouch. Man that is impressive. I"ll wonder out loud about how much is on that trail crews plate and even if that level of blowdown could be handled this year. Cross cuts were known as misery whips.

retired USFS
Billoutwest

Billoutwest
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 6:48 pm 
Modern trail crews are usually handicapped by the ground they cover. In the old days cross cut users had two basic types of saws to choose from. Bucking, (thicker and wider) and falling saws (thinner and lighter). Nowadays the trail crews use the falling saws for bucking because of pack weight. They're counting on usually just a couple bucks and take off hiking to the next one. ============= Here is a 6 1/2 ft bucking saw that would be perfect for that mess.
==============
==============
Wilderness administration varies. In Southern Cal they used to fly helicopters into wilderness helipads and use chainsaws to maintain those helispots. I suspect they still do under the banner of fire safety. No arguments here, just FYI.

retired USFS
Billoutwest

Billoutwest
PostSun Aug 14, 2011 6:56 pm 
You're going to think I'm crazy. Buy and pack a top quality hand saw. These would be the type of non-motorized saw used by an arborist in a tree. Weight is under one pound with case for a 10-12" blade. =============== Think about being able to cut 20 limbs in a day to make the trail a little better and have a great firewood saw. This will not make it with any ultralight campers .......... Sorry, I'd like to recommend a product but doubt that is allowed on the forum.

retired USFS