Forum Index > Trip Reports > Big Mac Attack w/ Cheese and a Side of Flies! 08-20-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSat Aug 20, 2011 10:39 pm 
Well, Middle E (Barry) had the Traveling Summit Register burning in his backpack, and since our planned trip to Bull's Tooth was unsuccessful last weekend, he needed to find a resting spot. Mac Peak had been in the back of his mind and Type E's (no relation) trip report from earlier this week about Mac was all the inspiration he needed! Mac Peak with map . But first, there was some unfinished business. The trip last week was cut short due to some unforgiving blow-downs hindering our progress. Now, Barry is a smart guy - a statistician in fact! So, he "Did the Math" and came prepared for anything we might encounter on today's trip. Read on for all of the details! (And, for a fuller explanation about math, you can read the commentary at the end of the No Bull Trip Report. ) agree.gif Barb E and Tish joined us for this little jaunt. It was to be a stellar day - perhaps a little too warm. We weren't sure what to expect in the way of bugs, but we were armed . . . or so we thought! But, first things first - we need to deal with "habituated" bears first! eek.gif stun.gif
Beware!
Beware!
Oh my!  Habituated Bears!  Call the ATF!
Oh my! Habituated Bears! Call the ATF!
Undaunted (or perhaps not too bright) we headed out.
Signing in at the Deception Creek TH
Signing in at the Deception Creek TH
To get to the Deception Creek TH - drive the Foss Lake Road off of Hwy 2; split off just beyond the train tressel you drive under and head up towards Tonga Ridge. You will split off of this road - taking the lower road to the left (which isn't marked) at about 10 miles. Drive another ten almost to the end of the road. You'll see the TH sign. Sadly, you have to drop down 500' to Deception Creek - sad, because you have to regain this 500' at the end of the hike, when you least want to! We got down to Deception Creek (you actually CAN walk all the way out to Highway 2 from here! Why you would, I have no idea! dizzy.gif confused.gif )
It was here that we began the battle of the bugs! OMG - they were awful and would get nastier!
Ladies vs. Bugs
Ladies vs. Bugs
We forged on . . .
We would cross on the foot log over Deception Creek. Before long, however, we encountered the dreaded "BLOW DOWN!" But fear not, Barry was ready today!
He's ready . . . .
He's ready . . . .
Preparing to remove the obstacle
Preparing to remove the obstacle
I think he's done this before . . .
I think he's done this before . . .
Tough work - but someone's gotta' do it!
Tough work - but someone's gotta' do it!
Amazing . . .
Amazing . . .
The man is amazing! He really did Do The Math and was able to clear the way for us in no time!!! winksmile.gif From Deception Creek, you climb about 1900' to the Pacific Crest Trail. Right at that juncture, we basically headed up - Type E's map included in the link above, has a decent route to follow.
First boulder field almost immediately off of the PCT
First boulder field almost immediately off of the PCT
You are in forest much of the way - sometimes finding a trail - sometimes not. You finally break out into a basin with a couple of small tarns. You need to keep going to get to the next set of tarns that are in the very open basin.
Mac in the distance
Mac in the distance
In this basin, you will see an obvious gully to the southeast - which will take you to the upper (and larger) tarn.
Obvious gully to the southeast in the basin below Mac
Obvious gully to the southeast in the basin below Mac
It's a little steep, but not too bad.
Some bouldering on the way to the upper tarn below Mac
Some bouldering on the way to the upper tarn below Mac
From there, basically stick to the ridge - we stayed pretty much to the east side of the ridge almost all the way to the summit of Mac (Gus and I had to go on the west side at one spot where he had trouble negotiating some of the rocks and moat just below the summit - no big deal.)
Last push to Mac summit
Last push to Mac summit
The bugs had been feasting on us pretty much the whole way - but as we reached the summit, they were literally in swarms around us! Ugh. The summit of Mac can be seen before you actually get there.
Summit of Mac - register in view
Summit of Mac - register in view
You actually have to drop over to the west and then head up the final 25' to a very, very small summit. There you will find Fay Pullen's register (Type E and another group in July are the only ones in 2011; before that, the last visitor was in July of 2010!) - but now, there is a companion register - the NW Hikers Traveling Summit Register. Perhaps other adventurous souls will take up the challenge to visit this spot. The views are pretty cool - and Daniel DOES dominate!
Glacier from Mac summit
Glacier from Mac summit
Baker in the distance
Baker in the distance
Not sure - Trico?
Not sure - Trico?
Cathedral Rock
Cathedral Rock
So, as for the title of this little tome, here's the Mac (summit) with "Cheese" and a side of flies (don't know if you can see the swarming little bas*ards!).
Mac with Cheese and a side of flies!
Mac with Cheese and a side of flies!
We didn't dawdle on top - maybe a whole 15 or 20 minutes! Soon, we headed back down.
Small moat remains on route to Mac summit
Small moat remains on route to Mac summit
Heading back down off of Mac
Heading back down off of Mac
Daniel dominates!
Daniel dominates!
Talus Lake below Mac
Talus Lake below Mac
Barry and Tish heading down to the tarn
Barry and Tish heading down to the tarn
Largest tarn below Mac
Largest tarn below Mac
I saw this peak and wondered (aloud) what it could be with those interesting terrace-like rocks . . . . doh.gif
Doh!  Terrace Mountain!
Doh! Terrace Mountain!
We kinda' did the same thing as Type E on our way down - we ended up at Deception Lakes - oops!
Deception Lake(s)
Deception Lake(s)
When I was last here in 2009 - the lakes weren't nearly so full (in fact, they were more like ponds and the bugs were horrible!) Because there was a bit of a breeze, the bugs weren't too bad here, but as soon as we got back on trail to head down, they were swarming once more. The rest of the trip back to the car was unremarkable - a bit warm - but a lovely day despite the bugs. We did not see any other people on the trail and only one car at the TH - likely they were overnighting somewhere, because the car was stil there when we got back around 5:30 p.m. Nice to have a light pack with no ice ax or other gear to carry. Just took trekking poles and used them. About 4600' of gain and around 10 or 11 miles. Nice trip! Now go get that Register! lol.gif up.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Nietzsche's Horse
Equine Philosopher

Nietzsche's Horse
Equine Philosopher
PostSat Aug 20, 2011 11:24 pm 
This is a delightfully witty and entertaining trip report, but I am hung up on the fact of Barry's superhuman saw-work. For example, I did my own math, and can only conclude that between "habituated bears" and the myriad swarms of bloodsuckers, Barry would not have survived long enough to cut that blowdown with that "saw":
Amazing . . .
Amazing . . .
So, what dark camera artistry is at work here? smile.gif

"Trails are like that: you're floating along in a Shakespearean Arden paradise and expect to see nymphs and fluteboys, then suddenly you're struggling in a hot broiling sun of hell in dust and nettles and poison oak... just like life." - Kerouac
touron

touron
PostSun Aug 21, 2011 7:37 am 
It may be a statistical coicidence that this report occurs a day after the proclamation that the King is dead. Somebody needs to hang some flypaper up there so people can have a mac attack in peace. burger.gif drink.gif bug.gif The crosscut version of that saw allows you to cut twice the diameter tree in the same amount of time.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
BarbE

BarbE
PostSun Aug 21, 2011 9:56 am 
Good thing Barry carried his saw to clear the trail up.gif for this determined group about to give the register a new home. This will be a great hike once the fall colors are happening and the bugs are gone. The NW Hikers Traveling Summit Register is waiting-come and get it! chickenleg.gif
steep bushwhack
steep bushwhack
up the gully
up the gully
just below summit
just below summit
long legs required!
long legs required!
so happy together!
so happy together!
Glacier from Mac summit
Glacier from Mac summit
cheese on Mac w/bugs
cheese on Mac w/bugs
come'n get it!
come'n get it!
Gus looks for alternate route
Gus looks for alternate route
fun moat scramble
fun moat scramble
Barry and Gus leaving the summit
Barry and Gus leaving the summit
Talus Lake & Junggeselle, another Backcourt 100
Talus Lake & Junggeselle, another Backcourt 100
Terrace Mtn.
Terrace Mtn.
the ridge below Mac Peak
the ridge below Mac Peak
the tarn beckons
the tarn beckons
Tarn below Mac Peak
Tarn below Mac Peak
Deception Lake
Deception Lake
well fed Deception Lake frog
well fed Deception Lake frog

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Aug 21, 2011 2:22 pm 
Sweet! up.gif up.gif

Middle E
no more moustache

Middle E
no more moustache
PostSun Aug 21, 2011 2:26 pm 
Except for the bugs, this is an OK little peak. Even if the peak itself is not that impressive, the views from the summit are outstanding. The route finding is not hard with a good map, and fairly forgiving - meaning you can get there many different ways. With time and energy, it appeared feasible to get from the summit of Mac to either Swallow Tail or Junggeselle, although with considerable elevation loss and gain for either. Thanks to Suzanne, Barb, and Tish for helping to place the Traveling Summit Register. Hopefully it will find a new home before snow flies!
Ladies debugging
Ladies debugging
Daniel and southwest ridgeline
Daniel and southwest ridgeline
Two registers
Two registers
Talus Lk with Junggeselle behind
Talus Lk with Junggeselle behind
Descending to upper tarn
Descending to upper tarn
Upper tarn
Upper tarn
Surprise behind tarn
Surprise behind tarn
Although I don't think the road goes much beyond the Deception Cutoff trailhead, for now it doesn't go anywhere beyond. About 100 yds past the trailhead it is completely blocked by avalanche debris.
Avalanche debris blocking road
Avalanche debris blocking road

pithy yet insightful signature
Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostSun Aug 21, 2011 3:23 pm 
I have to get back to that area on a sunny day! It looks so gorgeous. I just saw white two years ago. Glad you had a great day. That blowdown clearing was quite the feat smile.gif .

Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 11:04 am 
I really like the group pictures with your friendly bugs. It shows how many bugs there were!

Art is an adventure.
Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 12:09 pm 
Great trip! The weather certainly cooperated for everyone this weekend. biggrin.gif

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998
Roald

Roald
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 12:34 pm 
Fun report! Thanks for the tip, although I will wait until the bugs are frozen.

TrailPair

TrailPair
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 4:30 pm 
Beautiful spot, but I bet you are all glad you were not camping with those bugs! eek.gif

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen

Schmidt Alti-Babe
The Ice Queen
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 5:15 am 
Thank you for the great hike! I wasn't expecting as many skeeters as there were (think I went through my entire supply of deet bug.gif ), but I really enjoyed knocking off another Backcourt Peak! cool.gif