Forum Index > Food & Grub > Favorite lunch food for overnight trips
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 3:28 pm 
For me, coming up with breakfast is a no-brainer. Dinner is generally one of our regular meals that I dehydrated over the winter, so also no big deal. Lunches, I struggle with. Trail mix is dry, heavy and something I quickly get tired of. Jerky is nice as a snack, but not something I'd make a meal of. Trail bars are "ok" but also a pretty boring lunch. I like wraps, but am challenged trying to figure out what reasonably non-perishable stuff to put in it aside from PB&J (which I'm not a big fan of). So, what do YOU like for lunches? Note that I'm not talking about dayhikes, where weight isn't an issue.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 3:36 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
Note that I'm not talking about dayhikes, where weight isn't an issue.
Or spoilage either on dayhikes. I wouldn't want to eat my ham/turkey sandwich that I would bring on a typical dayhike after it had been sitting in my pack for a few days. lol.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 4:19 pm 
Na'an bread and a tub of hummus is good. Smoked salmon or a bit of chicken and hard cheese. Miniature bagels provide a good platform for a variety of stuff - a swath of peanut butter (or whatever spread) with raisins one day, a miniature hamburger patty another day. Envelope of tunafish or flaked salmon. For me, meat stays good longer than one would think. Just bury it deep in the pack. Maybe eat the fish or hamburger on days 1 and 2, then other stuff later on. I usually do a little of everything, and munch every few hours, rather than do a full-blown lunch. I'm not a huge fan of sandwiches either. I also add a couple baggies of home dehydrated fruit. You can get an apple, a mango or two, a couple bananas, tons of strawberries, peaches, etc all in a couple of ziplocs. Of course, some sort of desert; you can shove red licorice anywhere in your pack, or pop tarts.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 6:25 pm 
You can find instant hummus at grocery stores. Just add water, smoosh it around, and spread it on anything your heart desires. Hard salami keeps just about forever. So does hard cheese. Combine slices of those with a tortilla and you have yourself a backcountry sammich. Quark mentioned smoked salmon. I'll toss in tuna pouches - the flavored ones make a tasty wrap.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 6:54 pm 
String (mozzarella) cheese or summer sausage & Triscuits.

bkellygr

bkellygr
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 7:42 pm 
Bagel, cheese, and tuna sandwich. I buy the tuna in the packet. It's kinda of squished into a patty shape, so I just slap it on the bagel and cheese. Sometimes, I'll bring a mayo packet to add. I got this from one of my backpacker magazines a year or two ago. This is probably my go-to lunch on the second day of an overnight trip. Very filling and you get your protein.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 8:33 pm 
Couscous salads! No cook, no fuss and they taste great. If you haven't tried it, well I have plenty of easy recipes for them smile.gif The oldest, Ford, likes chicken salad sammies or wraps. He also likes wraps made with Sunflower butter (they come in tubes) pr Justin's nut butters, honey packets and granola.

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 9:07 pm 
I bring a regular Chicago South Sider from Safeway. Eat half on day one. Half on day two. Problem solved. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 9:16 pm 
@Dayhike, do they still do those? The sandwich menu changed ages ago. I want the# 2!

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 9:19 pm 
Taboulli is sold in bulk at Fred Meyer in the health food section. Light weight and easy to make. There are many cheeses that last a few days too.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 9:44 pm 
Allison wrote:
@Dayhike, do they still do those? The sandwich menu changed ages ago. I want the# 2!
Yep! They still make it. I even found that the Renton Safeway stocks the Rustic Italian bread that I love (most don't carry it anymore frown.gif ).

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 9:52 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
Allison wrote:
Yep! They still make it. I even found that the Renton Safeway stocks the Rustic Italian bread that I love (most don't carry it anymore frown.gif ).
Do they have the old menu too?

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday

Tom_Sjolseth
Born Yesterday
PostMon Aug 22, 2011 11:52 pm 
Peppered salami, cheddar, and potato rolls with mayo and mustard packets is my go to. Salami and cheddar will last a week or so if you're careful.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Aug 23, 2011 9:36 am 
Wow, thanks for all the great suggestions -- makes me hungry just reading about them!

JPH

JPH
PostTue Aug 23, 2011 1:41 pm 
This Lentil Couscous Salad is one of my lunch favorites for multi-day trips (many thanks to Sarbar): http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/lentil-couscous-salad Really that or any of the no-cook meals on that website. Lunch = no stove for me. You just add cold water ~2-3 hrs before you are planning on eating and it rehydrates without heat. You don't need that much time, but I've found that the longer you give it, the better it comes out. When I'm really feeling fancy I'll bring a little chicken packet and add that to it also just before eating. The Spam packets are a good choice too. If you don't have a dehydrator (I don't) you can cook the lentils, then just spread them on some parchment paper and put in the oven for many hours at the lowest setting with the oven door cracked for at least part of the time.