Forum Index > Trip Reports > Spade Lake
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
LC Ingalls

LC Ingalls
PostFri Sep 09, 2011 10:45 am 
Spade Lake A solo hike to Waptus Lake and on to Spade Lake introduced me to one of the most beautiful alpine lakes I have walked the shores of. It started with a quick hike (3.5 hrs to cover about 11 miles) along the Waptus River trail,
Waptus River trail
Waptus River trail
crossing the river at the horse ford and following the NE shore looking for a campsite. I was told about one on a small island off the shore below the trail to Spade lake which I found and claimed for the night. After setting up camp I went looking for huckleberries . A hiker walked up on me as I was collecting berries for my breakfast the next morning so quietly that I about jumped out of my skin. We both got a good chuckle out of it, I showed him a solo site down the trail that he gladly took. There was a nice Huckleberry patch next to his camp and he graciously told me to help myself which I did, gathering a large cup of ripe glossy purple huckleberries to go with my oatmeal. I saw only two other sites taken and was thinking that it might be a quiet evening. Little was I to know that a young couple was to arrive at about 6 looking for a site and decided to set up camp about 30 yards from me. They happily chattered away the evening and as I was dropping off to sleep I heard the man announce proudly and loudly that dinner was now simmering away. Sigh ... what is one to do? And then there was the man walking the shoreline trail yelling someone’s name followed by profanities. He stopped to loudly tell the young couple that he was looking for his hiking pardners. I eventually heard a holler from the other side of the lake as someone responded to his calls and whooped it up at their having found each other. As I feel asleep I remember thinking "Hotel Waptus"-- a good name. I awoke to a very quiet lake and had a leisurely breakfast and several mugs of coffee (the huckleberries were a hit).
I then broke camp, packing up with the intent of heading up to Spade Lake for the night. As I set out I smiled and thankfully noted not a soul was stirring at the lake. A nice quiet sunrise and some charming chirping birds shared the moment with me. So up I went, and I do mean up. My GPS was to show at the end of the day about 3450 feet of elevation gain... most of it, as my legs were to confer, in about 3 miles.
Waptus Lake from above
Waptus Lake from above
And this was not an easy trail to hike on. The blow downs were not too bad (though there were two in particular that took some work to get around), it was the nature of the trail that worked on my legs. There were sections that were relatively ungraded and with few switchbacks ... just up ... BUT punctuated with frequent stops to stuff myself with Huckleberries until my hands and mouth were stained that telltale "I've been in a berry patch" maroon. And on up I went... but the reward was to be well worth every step taken. I met three backpackers coming down who gave me a tip that the north end of the lake was nice and to take a fork to the right just before heading to the south end of the lake. They also warned me about mosquitoes and said it got very cold the previous night with water in a pot skimming over with ice. Hummm! They were the last humans I was to see until I was almost out the next day. :-) And as it were the mosquitoes were very manageable, and though there was to be a little bit of low lying frost on a bag, it didn't seem cold at all... just nicely crisp. So on I climbed ... about 3.5 hours and 4.5 miles after starting up, I walked over and around a bend and there it was .... as beautiful an alpine lake as I have ever seen!
Spade Lake I did find the fork in the trail and wandered the lakeside to its north end, where there is a loud and stunning waterfall bringing its torrent down from Venus Lake. Actually two waterfalls, with the second much higher and very misty. I walked along the gravel shoreline at the head of the lake without finding a site suitable for me and started back along the lake’s edge, passing by a beautiful site near a meadow full of flowers,
but thought better of it given the bug factor. And glad I am, as I found a fabulous site I missed coming in on a jut of rock pushing out into the lake about half to three quarters of the way toward the north end of the lake.
To say that it was almost perfect would not do it justice. To go along with a stunning view, it offered perfect swimming and the ever present soft roar of the waterfall in the background. After exploring and taking numerous photos I sat and soaked up the sun for a bit, waiting for the sun to dip below the mountains and to bring respite from the heat of the day.
In the soft glow of the extended twilight I fixed my dinner, surrounded by the comforting fumes given off by several mosquito coils. The little blood sucking beasties vanished and I was to enjoy a beautiful sunset and dinner without their annoying presence.
I was a little leery of the cold warning as I went to bed, so wore my down jacket as extra insurance but ended up sleeping warmly through the night. I did go to sleep rather early, 8:45, and attributed it to the hard clambering around I had done that day. I got up early though, looking for a beautiful sunrise, and though it was indeed nice, it was lacking some of the color I had hoped for.
I also became aware that the sun was striking the south end of the lake earlier, but still think my chosen site was superior for my tastes.
The lake was like glass and breakfast was very tasty, as was the coffee.
I had a hard time breaking camp and leaving, but I did, and was walking by 9. And down the mountain I went ... across the horse ford and along the river where I stopped for lunch and saw my first humans as a father –son duo passed by with a nod. Now ... if only my knees could type I would let them take over the tale at this point but I will have to speak for them and say OUCH! Thirteen miles later my feet and my knees were letting me know they didn't appreciate the task they had had to perform ... but perform they did, and brought me to the trail head safely, where I took a much needed swim in the river before heading back to Seattle.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Sep 09, 2011 10:52 am 
Nice job, and nice photos. Can you elaborate on these "mosquito coils"?

Hutch

Hutch
PostFri Sep 09, 2011 10:58 am 
What a gem that lake is. Pretty unreal.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Sep 09, 2011 1:24 pm 
Nicely written and beautifully photographed TR! Spade is one of my favorite places. If you go back there, take the trip up to Venus, it's worth it. It's only a 400' climb up the slabs next to the waterfalls, not that big of a deal. The first time I went to Spade was the first time I'd ever done a week long backpacking trip, back in my early 20s. We didn't know how to pack for such trips and I was carrying 68 lbs! We went all the way to Spade in one day. I remember being practically delirious by the time we got there. I don't think I could even do that now with that much weight.
Foist wrote:
Nice job, and nice photos. Can you elaborate on these "mosquito coils"?
You've never seen these things? http://www.rei.com/product/407032/coghlans-mosquito-coil

Foist
Sultan of Sweat

Foist
Sultan of Sweat
PostFri Sep 09, 2011 1:26 pm 
Nope. 4 ounces -- significant, but not too bad. probably worth it for lake hikes. good to know!

Lakes&Summits

Lakes&Summits
PostFri Sep 09, 2011 6:56 pm 
Absolutely gorgeous! Great pics too : - )

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Sep 09, 2011 9:38 pm 
Good Lord, when the weather is nice Washington state is perfect. Nice pics Mr..

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slim
This space for rent

Slim
This space for rent
PostMon Sep 12, 2011 12:45 pm 
Chainsaw_Willie wrote:
Nicely written and beautifully photographed TR!
ditto.gif

"Lean mean money-making-machines serving fiends"