Forum Index > Trip Reports > Van Trump Park MRNP 9/4/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 9:10 pm 
Van Trump Park is one of my favorites places at Mt. Rainier because it's a unique perspective of The Mountain, very few people go there, and if you time it right the flower show is phenomenal. Well, we got 2 out 3 so no complaints! We knew we had to have an early start for this one in order to get a parking space. This lot fills up really fast with folks heading up to Comet Falls. So we rolled out of Bothell around 6 AM zzz.gif arriving in the Park around 8:15. Now I usually don't take alot of sign photos but this trailhead sign had some really nifty footings...
And this is not a great photo but it really is what the sun-dappled trail looked like...
Pretty soon we came to one of my favorite bridges. It's just cool looking, and the views down into the creek that forms Christine Falls (viewed from the road) are cool as well.
Alot of the trail is rougher than most MRNP trails, with roots, rocks, etc... but it's not bad.
The views along the way are enjoyable...down into the creek, up to the Mountain...
This section here has been deteriorating over the past year or two. It won't be an easy fix since it's right next to a steep hillside. And it's a long way down if you get too close to the edge... eek.gif
There are a few peek-a-boo views of the falls before you actually get to the best view point
When we arrived at the falls there were 2 other folks there. It's a bit dark in there in the early morning so if you're going for photos you'll need to wait until after noon. Most of these shots are from the afternoon and you can see it gets quite busy...
Continuing up the trail we found lots of steps, some more roots and rocks and some really nice little mini-meadows...
And finally in less than a mile from the falls, the Mountain emerges
From here on, you just hike as far as you'd like toward the Mountain. You can go all the way to Camp Hazard if you want. We stopped briefly for a lunch break here...
Unfortunately the mosquitoes were eating more than we were so we ambled onward and upward for a little while. The flowers were no where near peaking but there were a few pretty meadows here and there. Even a few small avalanche lily meadows remain!
Our turn around point was determined by the flies and skeeters. Would have loved to wander farther and nap in the sunshine, but maybe another time. We took the long drive around to go home. It's fun seeing the different sides of the Mountain. Visited with Howard, the Ranger at Tipsoo. Hardly any flowers there right now. Here are a few parting shots from the drive

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
tigermn

tigermn
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 9:17 pm 
Great fall hike as well. No flowers, but colors and no bugs and fewer people. So there is still snow up there lingering around. What else is new this year. Mildred Point is another interesting side trip around there as you sit with your feet dangling below and the mountain right there in your face.

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 1:07 pm 
That's a neat picture, Nancy, any time of day. agree.gif
Love it ! up.gif up.gif wink.gif
Reminds me of my Big Four 'social commentary'. hmmm.gif
And then there's always the magnet. humpy.gif biggrin.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostSat Sep 10, 2011 1:19 am 
cool.gif The world just looks better through sunglasses. Glad you got a stellar weather day for the mountain!

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Sep 10, 2011 7:00 am 
I've got to hit this one this year...wonderful pics as always! But I kind of missed Cedar in the photos. biggrin.gif