Forum Index > Trip Reports > Libby Lake 8-23-2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostTue Aug 23, 2011 10:37 pm 
Weekend guests returned to the westside, so I figured good time for a day hike... While I was building our house over here in Winthrop I could always gaze to the south and see Libby Mtn... Today I went there... lol... The regular Libby Creek road access is "washed out", but you can get to the trailhead fron the Twisp River Rd/Poorman Creek Rd. Got to the trailhead at 8:30am...
Only rig there...   Last visitor was "Jen" from the westside on 8/18
Only rig there... Last visitor was "Jen" from the westside on 8/18
After a while, the goal appears thru the trees...
Goal peeking thru...
Goal peeking thru...
Trail is going to here
Trail is going to here
Yep, thats the basin I see from my house... The east slopes actually had a little rain the previous evening and the brush along the trail was still wet... Strange for this time of the year... There were also a lot of blowdowns on the trail, but all of them were easily navigated for a hiker... Horse dudes will have to do some logging... been there/done that... lol... 3 hrs and 40 minutes later, the lake is in sight...
Libby Lake left
Libby Lake left
Libby Lake center
Libby Lake center
Libby Lake right
Libby Lake right
You can still see the old irrigation weir...
Old system used for irrigation supply
Old system used for irrigation supply
This lake is great... I had to change my wet socks, but I am a happy camper...
A happy place for me...
A happy place for me...
Fishing was great and I had a hookup nearly every cast... The fish are running 7-10 inches... Some are getting fat and some are still skinny... It was about 2pm, so I decided to explore the northern ridge ringing the lake...
Looking out the valley
Looking out the valley
Ridge and basin north of lake
Ridge and basin north of lake
Looks pretty deep
Looks pretty deep
Libby Lake from above
Libby Lake from above
OK, 3pm... time to turn around...
Ran out of time a little above 8000ft
Ran out of time a little above 8000ft
Great views from up here
Great views from up here
OK, back at the lake and saying goodbye at 4pm...
Interesting rock "chair"...
Rock Chair
Rock Chair
and of course the cabin below the lake... And major bugs buzzing around...
The cabin below the lake
The cabin below the lake
Nice time to hike out as the sun is low enough so that the trail out is in a lot of shadow... Back at the truck around 6:30pm and in Twisp near 7pm... Called East 20 Pizza in Winthrop for take out to pick up dinner on the way home for my wife and myself... 7:45pm sitting on our deck eating pizza and gazing at Libby Mtn where I just visited... A great day of fishing and exploring in spectacular country... Put this on the list to visit after the Larch turn this fall... :-)

Happy Trails... pasayten
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Aug 23, 2011 10:55 pm 
Now you'll have to go up there again next year so you can figure out how fast the fish are growing. That's a heckuva cabin - does it keep rain out? Thanks for the TR - looks like a nice place to have in your back yard!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 1:03 pm 
At least you didnt leave your phone up there and have to go back two days later like I did last October. Lol

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 1:09 pm 
Last week, when I went to Williams Lake, there was a father, son, grandson up there with a pack horse... One of them drop a Motorola Talk About radio on the way out.... I saw it laying in the trail and called on it and got them at the trailhead... They left their address on my car window and I mailed it to them... :-) I had read your report before going to the Lake... You can be rest assured I checked ALL my gear before leaving... Yes, I have left a few things scattered about the wilderness... and found many a thing... I think it all evens out in the end... lol...

Happy Trails... pasayten
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 1:25 pm 
Which way did you go into Williams? That bloody road walk wouldnt be any fun.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 1:33 pm 
Road walk? No road to walk either to Williams or Libby... Williams in on Twisp River Rd with no problems or road issues. Libby TH can be reached from Poorman Crk Rd (off Twisp River from north) or Gold Crk Rd system (from south). Libby Creek Rd (the normal entrance) does have a reported washout issue.

Happy Trails... pasayten
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 2:31 pm 
Oops. I thought you meant Williams in the Alpine Lakes. Isnt that Williams lake (Twisp) trail no twice as long as it used to be?

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostWed Aug 24, 2011 10:35 pm 
BPJ, The Williams Lk trail probably has an added mile with the gently sloped switchbacks at the start. :-)

Happy Trails... pasayten
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Aug 25, 2011 3:33 pm 
The "new" Williams Lake trail is now 7.5 miles long. The USGS maps still show the old route which was much shorter - ~ 4 miles. I got burnt recently on this discrepancy which is how I know! I was told the trail was much elongated after a fire, to accomodate motorcycles - but then the area was incorporated into the wilderness designation. so no m/c. But, we're left with a heck of a long trail, when the lake itself is only about 3 miles from the trailhead!.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 25, 2011 3:40 pm 
Thanks Kat. That's where I remember it from. LOL

Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostThu Aug 25, 2011 3:43 pm 
Yes - it was not a pleasant surprise after that 4.5 hour drive to the trailhead! lol.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Aug 25, 2011 5:04 pm 
pasayten is my new favorite trip reporter. Thanks guy; awesome stuff. Looking forward to more. Is the Williams Lake (Twisp) an extra one mile long, or an extra 7.5 miles long? I don't care about Williams Lake (Alpine Lakes) right now; just answer about Twisp, pls.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostThu Aug 25, 2011 5:37 pm 
The total length of the Williams Lake trail in Twisp area is about 7.5 to 7.8 miles each way... Gently graded, it took me a little over 4 hrs in and a little under 3 1/2 out... that should indicate the ease of the grade... and I am still hiking a little slow from the "old days"... getting faster each time though... lol... On the topo map, Williams Lake is 2.9 miles from the trailhead as the Raven flies... Trailhead is around 2800ft ans lake at 6500ft... so you climb about 3700ft with no loss due to up/down stuff... :-)
williams_lake_trail
williams_lake_trail
With the easy grade, the in-shape folks might even be able to run in and out!!! :-)

Happy Trails... pasayten
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Aug 25, 2011 5:53 pm 
pasayten wrote:
With the easy grade, the in-shape folks might even be able to run in and out!!! :-)
Ya, now there ya go. That's Quarky all the way. Trail runner extra-or-din-aire! hockeygrin.gif