Forum Index > Trip Reports > My New Favorite Ridge Walk: Skyline Divide (8/27/11)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
half fast

half fast
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 10:07 am 
Thanks for the TR, wonderful photos and memories... up.gif up.gif WOW... did you guys ever hit this trail at the perfect time !!! I love this hike... lots of variety... you can go for miles and Awesome views when you hit the ridge. This is also one of my favorite hikes on your side of the pond... and when I lived there, I did my best to do this hike every spring and fall. Thanks for sharing... biggrin.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
peltoms

peltoms
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 10:14 am 
Best meadows of flowers I have seen in this late summer of blooms, nice. up.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 12:22 pm 
Very nice! I have to say I'm surprised the bugs weren't bad, especially wth all the blooming flowers. bug.gif I've been up Skyline and Chowder ridge 3 times during the bloom and the bugs were insane each time! Very lucky timing! Gorgeous photos of one of my favourite local areas. You guys seem to do a fair bit up at Baker, next time drop us a line, we're just a hop skip and jump across the border perhaps we should hook up one of these times.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Dani
Kimtah's Mom

Dani
Kimtah's Mom
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 2:22 pm 
Love this one. Great photos too. This weekend is looking like another beautiful one too. Went to Sheep Lake last weekend and I would agree the flowers are in their prime right now.

Keeping GeoTom in line since 1998
The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee

The Angry Hiker
SAR Blacklistee
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 2:54 pm 
I guess they don't have any rules about stomping around in the meadows up there. Out of curiosity, do you know what this is?

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 3:04 pm 
Zachster wrote:
Now, I have to admit, Cedar is cute and all, but Baker? Well, Baker is definitely a handsome brut! But then, I may be a little partial! lol.gif Oh, yeah, nice flower pictures, too! winksmile.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Popcorn

Popcorn
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 3:18 pm 
Thanks, Z. Great photos. "...The hillsides were covered with yellow, pink, blue and even some pink decorations..." By any chance, did you happen to see any pink/red "paintbrush" that far north? Marta, the botanist can confirm this, but the local guidebooks on wildflowers in the Cascades say that only white "paintbrush" can usually be found north of Mount Rainier. (Can animals spread wildflower seeds to different--not "natural"--locations?)

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 3:23 pm 
Popcorn, there were some tiny clusters of red paintbrush along the ridge to our campsite, but in the main meadows they were all (as far as I noticed) white. I'd never seen an undipped paintbrush before!

Highwalker's Daughter

Highwalker's Daughter
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 6:10 pm 
It is a wonderful hike! We tend to go to Excelsior over Skyline Divide, but your pictures remind me that I need to go back across the valley again. Thanks for posting them.

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 8:53 pm 
Thanks everyone for your nice comments! Joker: I'm pretty sure we stopped at the bump you're talking about. There was a tent there when we showed up and we thought it was an awesome site! Popcorn: We did see a few paintbrushes from a distance. The little bit of pink that we saw was heather. The blue/purple was the lupine. The white and yellow was alot of little things I don't know the names of. S.D. : Baker is a gorgeous dog, but don't tell Cedar I said that... paranoid.gif embarassedlaugh.gif Ingunn: Beautiful pics, more please! The sunset looked as wonderful as I thought it would be for you! up.gif Karen: You're right, we need to do that! agree.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"