Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Hunt - Grand Teton NP - 8.11.2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 am 
This was the third day of a “4 day, 3 night” backpacking trip in Grand Teton National Park. We relocated our campsite from Granite Canyon to Open Canyon… hiking a half-mile from our Granite Canyon campsite (8500’) to a junction with the Open Canyon Trail (8400’)… which we hiked 4.1 miles to the Mt. Hunt Divide (9710’)… before hiking two miles down into Open Canyon and a nice campsite above Open Canyon Creek. Just before reaching the Mt. Hunt Divide, I stored my backpack, packed up my daypack and took off for the Mt. Hunt summit on fairly steep terrain… eventually working my way over to Hunt’s east ridge… which I followed to summit (10,783’). Some Class 3 climbing near the summit which could have been avoided if I had chosen the best route. I did select a better route on my return from the summit, although a couple of veggie belays were necessary just before I got back down to the Open Canyon Trail. The next morning was our exit day… as we slogged the 2.7 miles to the Valley Trail… which we followed for 4.5 miles to Teton Village… where we found some real food and drink. Stats for day 3… Granite Canyon campsite to Open Canyon campsite… 6.5 miles, gaining 1310 feet of elevation… plus the side trip to the Mt. Hunt summit… 1.5 miles roundtrip, gaining 1183 feet of elevation. Stats for day 4… Open Canyon campsite to Teton Village… 7 miles, gaining 400 feet of elevation. Map and photos of our trip to Mount Hunt. ..

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 1:27 pm 
ragman and rodman wrote:
4.5 miles to Teton Village… where we found some real food and drink.
Cheetos and diet coke? hockeygrin.gif ...about your hiking poles... irked.gif a bit of duct tape should do the trick! lol.gif

kite

kite
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 2:16 pm 
Wow! looks like a nice place