Forum Index > Trip Reports > My New Favorite Ridge Walk: Skyline Divide (8/27/11)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 7:51 pm 
After all these years, I have NO idea how this gem of a trip escaped my attention uhh.gif until now. We were planning on heading up to the Baker area and I happened to see a report on Skyline Divide on the WTA site. It looked interesting so we headed up north for something new. Little did we know that this trail had everything...views, endless ridge walking, flowers, nwhikers, parents of nwhikers... hockeygrin.gif The parking lot was already filling up when we got there (around 10AM). It was parked up and down the road by the time we left so early starts are highly recommended. The flowers in the parking lot were just a hint of things to come!
The trail to the ridge is a very pleasant and steady upward path, nicely graded for the most part. This nifty little bit of trail work would have been just a little niftier if they had taken in to consideration those of us who are not so vertically gifted... embarassedlaugh.gif
The forest floor was carpeted with flowering wild strawberry plants, almost all the way up. There were some impressive big old trees as well. This big guy caught my attention...the bark was so thick.
And there were tiny little things to see, like these little mushrooms...
In almost no time, were arrived at the ridge into the sunshine and an afternoon of endless views!
The flower show began almost immediately
The hillsides were covered with yellow, pink, blue and even some pink decorations.
Now keep in mind this is a very popular place
But as usual, the farther you go the thinner the crowds get until you find your own special places. The options for roaming up here are endless as ridges go off in several different directions. And every turn you go around there is a different view of Mt. Baker, Mt. Shuksan, Larabee and the Border peaks, the Nooksack River valley and beyond!
At one point along the ridge we came to this lovely lupine meadow
I have to confess, my camera went kind of beserk here and wouldn't stop shooting...
And then Cedar got in to it...
And then, as I was chatting with a very nice couple...I mentioned nwhikers and they said "Oh, we know some folks who post there ..." It was GoJo's parents and their sweet dog, Baker! I have to tell you the only thing cooler than meeting nwhikers on the trail is meeting their PARENTS!!! wave.gif So of course there were more obligatory photos in the lupine
It was so funny while I was trying to get Baker's attention for the photo I called his name and instead of posing... he came to me. GOOD BOY!!! lol.gif
And finally, we had to have a family portrait in the lupine
OK. Enough lupine. I think you get the idea. This is a really cool place. As the afternoon got warmer (and the bugs got fiestier rolleyes.gif ) Cedar figured out the best way to stay cool.
But eventually we had to turn around. Reluctantly, because there was so much more to see. As we headed down we enjoyed the company of other hikers and even ran in to Ingunn & company as they were heading up for the night. wave.gif We were jealous that they would have a spectacular night up there (not so jealous about the heavy packs! hockeygrin.gif ) I do hope to see some sunrise or sunset shots soon...! agree.gif
We finished off the day with a nice dinner at Milano's (in Glacier). The food and service were much better than 10 years ago.
Can't wait to go back for an overnight! cool.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
joedog

joedog
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 8:09 pm 
Beautiful photos! And I think Cedar is quite fabulously handsome. What a great trip; Skyline Divide has been on my list for two years now. Hmmm...maybe the weekend after Labor Day:)

This is the real world, muchachos, and we are all in it. http://www.flickr.com/photos/81314177@N00/ FB: http://www.facebook.com/joedog7
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 8:15 pm 
Wow! What a beautiful hike with all the flowers! We have only been there in the fall(on the way to Hadley Peak), and it is lovely then, too!

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 8:15 pm 
I was going to go up there tomorrow, but the weather forecast is looking better to the south, so it will be a Rainier-ish day instead. But this one is on the "soon" list. I have a two day weekend coming up in a couple of weeks (instead of my usual three days) so this would make a great overnight trip for Daisy and me. And my days are a Mon-Tues, should cut down on company a bit. Thanks for the timely report and great pictures.

Yet

Yet
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 8:24 pm 
What a cute TR! And it sounds like you ran into everybody and their mama. embarassedlaugh.gif wink.gif up.gif

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 9:01 pm 
omg! wow! b e a u t i f u l! half fast has talked about the beauty of the skyline divide.....now i know! your photography says it all up.gif what a treat to meet GoJo's parents! so sweet! thanks for sharing your day!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 9:11 pm 
Stunning. Love all the purple lupine photos. up.gif

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
furthur
Berry Bagger

furthur
Berry Bagger
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 10:48 pm 
the Zachster wrote:
That's a Playdog shot if I ever saw one. I personally prefer the more discreet lupine shots--Cedar and purple are a great color combo. Saw my first bear ever up there, so will always be very fond of this trail. You all had a perfect trip; these will be very nice pix to look through on a cold gray day in January.

"You're either on the bus or off the bus." Kesey
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Aug 29, 2011 11:56 pm 
A great trail for sure! Just make sure there is a clear weather forecast, because I can attest that it just isn't the same without the views. It's still nice, even without views, but as you can see from the pics... the views are unforgettable! I need to get back there sometime soon too! ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Schryder

Schryder
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 12:25 am 
Wow, that looks great! I'll have to put that on the list for sure, beautiful pictures. For whatever reason we've never hiked in the Mt. Baker area. Our dog loves the Lupine too, we have a thing where we try to take pictures of her in it on every hike we take... Carl

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 7:35 am 
I go up there every year and I've never caught the flowers that lush. You hit it perfectly. up.gif

Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 8:58 am 
OMG what a wonderful place! Pics are amazing! Makes me want to drive 4 hours right now! biggrin.gif

Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 9:23 am 
the Zachster wrote:
Hey these folks kinda resemble me?! embarassedlaugh.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 9:36 am 
Skyline Divide - rockband.gif Great photos, as usual. Did you get to the high point before the ridge hooks a left toward Chowder Ridge, Baker, etc.? I love that spot, and almost went up there for a backpack this past weekend with a goal of camping up along there somewhere with views out to salt water. However, I think my gap between trips up there that has generally been about long enough to mostly forget about how long and bumpy that dirt road is.

Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Ingunn
Hiking Viking
PostTue Aug 30, 2011 10:01 am 
It was great running into you again, Zachster! And Jo's parents of course, not to mention those handsome furry chaps, Cedar and Baker. agree.gif We got a bit snooze button-happy that morning and didn't start hiking until 2:45...turns out that was a great way to avoid the crowds, everyone else was already on their way out! I am, as always, late getting my photos up, but here's the little preview collage I made in order to brag to everyone on facebook about how great our weekend was:
Skyline Divide
Skyline Divide
Sunset
Sunset
Bugs were annoying but tolerable. No water on the ridge, but there are some snow patches left that you could melt for drinkin'.