Forum Index > Trip Reports > Abernathy Peak 9.4.11 - Best view I've seen!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tangeman
ride the storm

Tangeman
ride the storm
PostMon Sep 05, 2011 8:49 pm 
Abernathy Peak 8321' 10 miles 5100 ft elevation gain I've kindasorta wanted to do Abernathy ever since I saw a pano taken from it's summit on SP. My parents went to Scatter Lake 17 years ago, but didn't do Abernathy, so we decided this would be the weekend to give a shot. First off, we had to keep reminding ourselves, as we were hammering up the Scatter Creek trail, dusty switchback after dusty switchback, that this really wasn't Labor Day weekend, it was secretly late July. The wildflowers were blowing our minds! Usually this late in the year, this far east, means dry slopes, baked brown. But now. Thick, lush wildflowers brightened the way. Paintbrush, scarlet gilia, lupine, daisy-lookin' things, they were all there. September my foot! The only Sept.-like characteristic was the chilly 32 degree temp out side and the frost coating the leaves.
hahaha early fall not.
hahaha early fall not.
more trailside thingies.
more trailside thingies.
frost
frost
It wasn't till almost the meadow basin that the sun finally hit us, quickly warming us up, and melting the frost clinging to the leaves. Some (amazing) huckleberries also found their way into out stomaches at this point. hungry.gif
And then shortly after that, we were standing by the shores of Scatter Lake, our dog Cane was swimming, and I was plotting my route up Abernathy.
Scatter Lake
Scatter Lake
wildflowers at the outlet
wildflowers at the outlet
There were gardens like this all around the lake
There were gardens like this all around the lake
Scatter Lake, Abernathy in the middle.
Scatter Lake, Abernathy in the middle.
Scatter's outlet
Scatter's outlet
After eating a bit and drinking some water, we decided that my parents were going to stay down at the lake with the dog and I'll go summit by myself. *sigh* Another solo summit. Someday I'd like to share the views with someone! My plan of attack was to stay on the semi-solid rock rib in the middle of the scree. That pretty much worked. It made it Class 3 in a few spots, and I did send one big rock tumbling on down, but for the most part it was better then just doing the one-step-forward-two-steps-back up the scree. Once I reached the top of the scree it was a simple walk up slightly more tolerable scree to the summit ridge, and then a short but inspiring ridge run to the summit. Dang, those views!! It was incredible. Unlike many summits, you weren't staring up at everything, nor were you looking down on it. You were looking the peaks in the eye. It was hazy (smoky??) Down towards the Columbia Plateau and Maude and Glacier. But out to Goode, Black, Baker, Shuksan, and the Pasayten in was clear as can be and mind blowing.
Big pano, but very hi res, you can enlarge it alot.
Big pano, but very hi res, you can enlarge it alot.
Looking towards the Glacier Peak Wilderness
Looking towards the Glacier Peak Wilderness
Goode to Baker and everything in between
Goode to Baker and everything in between
Gardner Massif, I've seen it alot but never from this angle
Gardner Massif, I've seen it alot but never from this angle
Ah, those selfies...
Ah, those selfies...
That register was like an NWH family reunion!! I saw modern, iron, Gimpilator, and more. I had great cell service on the top, so I called my friend to tell him how much more fun than him I was having. biggrin.gif Getting down the scree was a lot faster than going up it, because I could just skid. Down the rib I had one third class downclimb but then I just stayed on the Choss Express back down to the lake.
Closer to the lake...
Closer to the lake...
Elephant Head
Elephant Head
wat?
wat?
All in all, a beautiful lake, a Bulger summit, solitude, and crystal clear views high in the North Cascades, it doesn't get much better than that. agree.gif

"Civilization is a nice place to visit, although I wouldn't want to live there." My photos
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message