Forum Index > Trip Reports > Royal Basin ONP 9-3-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostSat Sep 03, 2011 10:09 pm 
Trailhead used: Upper Dungeness/Royal Basin off of FS Rd 2870. Mileage: 15 Bugs: Pleasant for most, bad for me At first I was contemplating an overnighter....then since I haven't really looked at a calendat in a few years overheard it was Labor Day weekend. Well, don't really want to camp when there are jillions of people. But a quick dayhike would be fun....so how about Royal Basin, it's close and the weather forecast looked good...plus I've been itching to get into the Upper Basin and possibly over to Deception. Got to the parking lot before 9 and managed to get a spot. Not quite like looking for a spot in downtown Seattle, but it was trying.
Hpim0883.Jpg
Hpim0883.Jpg
Nice, quiet quick hike to the junction. Only saw one other group going up and they went towards Camp Handy. (I'm assuming with all the people that went that way, Camp Handy must have been having a party.)
Hpim0871.Jpg
Hpim0871.Jpg
Headed up the trail to Royal Basin. A rather forgiving trail that mostly follows the creek. A few steep spots, but overall the trail isn't killer. (Heck, I made 15 miles so it can't be that bad.) It has been a few years since I've been up there, and I was surprised how 'open' the trail feels now with new avalanche clearings.
Hpim0873.Jpg
Hpim0873.Jpg
Hpim0874.Jpg
Hpim0874.Jpg
Hpim0876.Jpg
Hpim0876.Jpg
The first sniff of alpine seemed to usher in flies and an occasional bee that wanted to attack me. At the first (lower) meadow, the bugs called off the flies and sent in the mosquitoes. As if that wasn't bad enough, somehow on a break I sat in an antpile and was subjected to the ground forces. Finally, the lake. The fish were happy I didn't bring a pole, they jumped and splashed and came right up to the bank.
Hpim0875.Jpg
Hpim0875.Jpg
Hpim0877.Jpg
Hpim0877.Jpg
After the lake, I wanted to get to the Upper Basin to go see the tarn and maybe take a dip to avoid bugs. Almost across the Upper Meadow and campers were scurrying back. There was a goat that was getting too close to comfort, so the rangers decided to shut down the upper trail. I was denied...such a short distance, enduring bugs and heat, but no icy tarn. Mr. Goat---you got it coming buddy. So I took some pictures of the Upper Meadow and headed back.
Hpim0878.Jpg
Hpim0878.Jpg
Hpim0879.Jpg
Hpim0879.Jpg
Hpim0880.Jpg
Hpim0880.Jpg
Hpim0882.Jpg
Hpim0882.Jpg
Hpim0881.Jpg
Hpim0881.Jpg

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
FungiFan

FungiFan
PostSun Sep 04, 2011 7:57 pm 
Wow. I've never seen that many vehicles at the parking lot. Then again with my schedule we can avoid weekends and holidays. Thanks for the TR and pictures. Was hoping we would make it up there (upper basin) once this season (got to the lake earlier this summer) but with no free time and now the goat issue we may not make it frown.gif . FF

Stupid isn't illegal...but sure comes with consequences. Famous last words: 'Here, hold my beer and watch this.'
strider

strider
PostMon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 am 
I spoke w/my son last night. He & his girl were in the upper basin from Thurs nite thru Sun morning, they got in there before the rangers started telling folks not to go up due to the goat. According to me boy, the goat was just being a typical Oly goat, hanging close to camp once in awhile in order to to get at any urine soaked ground. They never felt threatened at all. I think the park's just being very conservative and cautious after the recent goring fatality on the North side of the park. When they came out Sunday, there were rangers heading for the upper basin with a paintball gun to try and 'educate' the goat. As for the rest of their trip, he said that playing up on the ridgelines was spectacular, Deception Basin looked as wild as ever, they had the upper basin all to themselves (thank you Mr. Goat), the composting toilet was NNNasty, and the bugs were at typical Oly levels for this time of year.

strider I've never been lost, but I'm frequently uncertain where my destination might be in relation to where I am at the moment....
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostMon Sep 05, 2011 7:42 pm 
glad you got up to Royal Lake and sorry you got denied to the upper royal basin! well, we were more denied by a day. on saturday i was day hiking to moose lake and Ranger Sam informed me that the upper royal basin has been closed to hikers, campers, climbers! i said, #$%@........the omg has a permit to overnight at the URB!! i was still fuming on my way out of moose lake. i then called the lurkers and we decided i should check out what the deal was about the goats. heck, why close the area for 5 days!! the goat may have been a pain on saturday and who knows could be out of the area by saturday night! but yep, the park is being cautious when it comes to the goats. if a goat looks at you funny, be sure to report it as aggressive so the park will close the trail....maybe permanently thanks to the lawsuit. the URB is like forever to get to on foot and who knows how long the park folks will take to get up there should a goat decide to do battle with a human! wilderness people wilderness!! okay......so we got a permit for Home Lake. like you, we battled the mosquitos! thanks for the TR and awesome photos!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss