Forum Index > Trail Talk > Giardia
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
AR

AR
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 6:11 pm 
O' how I have been lucky with that one. Get well soon Hulksmash!

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief joseph

Chief joseph
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 1:01 pm 
Doppelganger wrote:
Hulksmash wrote:
Oh and i found a use for the privy sign.
A handy spot to hang my gravity filter. Although there is some thing not quite right filtering drinking water from the crapper sign. clown.gif
how's this for irony....i spent the night 20 feet from this sign and now am pretty sure i have my first case of giardia. havent been to the doc yet but have had symptoms for 4 days, and i was there about 10 days ago. Have you taken medication, used natural remedies, or simply let your body fight it off? i am unsure what to do, i like using natural remedies but am unsure if that's the best course to take?

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 1:08 pm 
For my two cases I went to the doc. One time they put my in an IV cuz I was so dehydrated. Flagyl (metronidazole) both times knocked it out. What kind of symptoms? Did you have the bloating followed by want-to-die nausea and violent barfing followed by the worse case of the shits you've ever had?

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 1:09 pm 
I go for natural methods on most things but not on giardiasis. Two friends who waited too long: one lost a month of work, the other lost half a year. ASAP see a doctor and get the prescription for metronidazole, tinidazole, or ornidazole

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 1:39 pm 
BigSteve wrote:
What kind of symptoms? Did you have the bloating followed by want-to-die nausea and violent barfing followed by the worse case of the shits you've ever had?
feeling sick to my stomach, diarrhea for 4 days now and feeling weak as a cat....also mild fever and cold sweats, o' and lots of stomach gas, plus i had to drive home from idaho for 8 hrs yesterday, pure misery! I am going to the doc, thanks for the advice. i prob contracted it either by taking a dip in the lake or from tea water that i had not boiled sufficiently. deff will be much more careful in the future.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 2:11 pm 
Fever and cold sweats aren't usually associated with giardia.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 3:20 pm 
I got campylobacter from some bad food on the way home from hiking trip once. The symptoms were so similar to giardia that the docs gave me meds for that. A stool analysis proved that it wasn't giardia and it resolved itself in a couple of weeks.

MyFootHurts
Huge Member

MyFootHurts
Huge Member
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 4:00 pm 
I think I'm the only person that still uses old fashioned iodine tablets agree.gif and I always treat the water unless it comes from a faucet

gb

gb
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 4:08 pm 
This might be outdated but the stool sample tests weren't said to be that reliable. The one that was supposed to work was to swallow a string and then eventually pull it back out. I had most of the symptoms twice so doctors gave me Flagyl and it went away in not that long of a time. The strongest symptoms were bloating and pain on compression of the lower abdomen, lot's of very foul smelling gas and a nearly endless urge to take a dump. I got it once from the stream below Copper Pass near Washington Pass and another time in southern Utah. We went out to Navajo Point and after quite a while looking around found "the spring" near the end of the Kaiparowitts. It was obvious, a pipe coming out of the ground so I just got and drank my water from it. Thing is, the spring was in a summer grazing cow pasture. Brilliant!

Jetlag

Jetlag
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 10:03 pm 
MyFootHurts, my understanding is that iodine has only a "low to moderate effect" against giardia. Chlorine dioxide tablets are usually rated much higher.

hiker1

hiker1
PostThu Sep 18, 2014 10:16 pm 
I've never had giardia, but I have had lots of bad reaction to foods I rarely eat, like real Chinese food etc. And used to have motion sickness for a long time. Until I read about ginger root capsules. They solved the motion sickness forever - motion sickness is often caused by digestion problems. And I take the capsules when I am invited to some dinner or restaurant where I have to eat unfamiliar food groups... So ginger root is great for digestion and I recommend trying it to relieve that bloating gaseous feeling, actually it's more than a feeling as you know.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostFri Sep 19, 2014 12:23 am 
Sorry to hear that chief. Go see the doc. Sounds about like the incubation period for it. Ya got a sulphury burp?

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
markod72

markod72
PostFri Sep 19, 2014 12:32 am 
Perhaps try some probiotic beverages such as kumucha. My friend had MRSA and lost his thumb. The probiotics really helped him get back on track after taking serious antibiotics. I feel for you, get well soon!

ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostFri Sep 19, 2014 9:25 am 
MyFootHurts wrote:
I think I'm the only person that still uses old fashioned iodine tablets agree.gif and I always treat the water unless it comes from a faucet
Iodine does not kill giardia cysts.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Sep 19, 2014 9:45 am 
Hulksmash wrote:
Sorry to hear that chief. Go see the doc. Sounds about like the incubation period for it. Ya got a sulphury burp?
Yes, very sulphury burping...every time I would eat or drink anything I would burp about 3 times...went to the doc yesterday and am on anti-biotics, feeling much better already. Won't know for a couple days if it was for sure giardia, but i am 98% sure.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.