Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wild Sky Ragged Ridge Grand Traverse to Spada Lake- 9/2-5
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sultan Guy

Sultan Guy
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 5:41 pm 
Not many TR’s from me this year as I chose to focus mainly on paddling over the spring and summer months which were fine with the late snow melt. However having just returned from a two week sea kayaking trip to British Columbia I was amped to get out in the local backcountry. Fortunately I have been running regularly all summer so relied on that for aerobic fitness. smile.gif Initially I had no intentions of this being a solo hike. But a funny thing happened. I started the week off with a half dozen names of potential companions. As the week progressed the “No’s” kept coming back but the weather forecast kept getting better. Not sure when I would have the available time and the weather window I made the decision to go for it but be extra careful! rolleyes.gif Like many other hikers I have long gazed up or over at Ragged Ridge and wondered what it was like up there. Arguably the least seldom visited area of Wild Sky. One guidebook states “Ragged Ridge, west of the North Fork Skykomish River, is one of the most remote and impenetrable areas still remaining on the west flank of the Cascades.” When I read that about an area it goes on my list! There are scant TR’s on this area and most focus on the few small lakes. Beta on the peaks is almost nonexistent. cool.gif While on Nine Lives Peak (5,110’) last October(https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7987040&highlight=sultan), I carefully studied the Ragged Ridge area with an eye towards some type of Grand Traverse. Some definite cliffy sections but it looked like it might go. I also really wanted to climb Bushwhack Peak (5,145’) near NLP which I missed last year due to weather. DAY 1-Reiter Road to small unnamed lake at head of Deer Creek (4,400’) Since this was a one way trip I left my car at work in Sultan and got a ride with a coworker up Reiter Road. Reiter Road is currently closed not far past the Lake Isabel TH due to washouts from past winter storms. I found it strange to hear busy holiday traffic on Hwy 2 while I walked nearby on a totally deserted paved road. Started walking at 3 PM. Was thinking of camping somewhere along Deer Creek Flats road but since the evening was so nice decided to go on up to my first lake. The cross country travel from the Deer Creek Flats road (2,000’) up to 4,000’ was surprisingly easy. No brush, nice thick second growth woods, beautiful cascading stream. Hit the 4,400’ lake at 7:15. Several great campsites here.
Ragged Ridge Traverse overview
Ragged Ridge Traverse overview
Ragged Ridge Traverse 1
Ragged Ridge Traverse 1
Reiter Road closed
Reiter Road closed
Don't want someone to steal this plate
Don't want someone to steal this plate
Lots more work to do
Lots more work to do
Deer Creek Flats Rd.
Deer Creek Flats Rd.
Pass needed for a "Temporary Closure". DNR needs your money!
Pass needed for a "Temporary Closure". DNR needs your money!
Upper Deer Creek
Upper Deer Creek
Great off trail hiking
Great off trail hiking
Deer Creek below lake
Deer Creek below lake
Unnamed lake at head of Deer Creek
Unnamed lake at head of Deer Creek
Campsite
Campsite
DAY 2-Head of Deer Creek to Snowslide Lake I awoke to a large deer near my tent. That was appropriate. Spent a leisurely morning exploring this small lake. Old fire ring with grate. More small nearby pots with more campsites. This would be a nice destination for a day hike. Left the lake by 9 to get on with my project. The North Star Creek pots look very nice. Tons of camping over here. Easy stroll from Deer Creek Lake. Surprised to see so much snow at this low elevation. The ridge to the west out to Pt. 4,817’ looks like an interesting side hike for future. A great place to explore from these pots. The traverse to the summit of Ragged Ridge (5,145’) was not too brushy but physical. Great views down to Heart Lake and Lake Isabel valley. The route to Pt. 4,973’ was considerable harder with more brush and several steep sections. Very hot at this place! I was surprised to see the dramatic summit of Pt 5,137 just to the northwest of me. The east face of this was an imposing spire of rock. I wonder if any climbers even know about this summit? From Pt. 4,973’ I could actually see Snowslide Lake. Now I just had to get there from here! One of the cool things about the Ragged Ridge area is that most ridges have a steep cliffy side while the other side is wooded and more gradual. The trick is to survey the route ahead at every vantage point and then know when to crossover so you don’t get stuck and have to backtrack. Simple in theory. I arrived at Snowslide Lake (4,272’) at 3 PM drenched in sweat having negotiated the hardest brush yet and a more than a few physical rock moves causing some anxiety. I immediately went for a dip in the bracing cold water, set up my tent in a shady spot and laid down for a nap and some book reading. I had allowed myself the luxury of one book. On my sea kayak trip I had started reading “Solitude-Seeking Wisdom in Extremes” by Robert Kull. Kull elected to spend an entire year alone in a remote area off the coast of Chile to study the effects on himself. A perfect book for my solo adventure. Both the previous day and today at many times I found myself seized with anxiety of getting injured falling, or not being able to climb up or down along this route. Kull also had to deal with anxiety and found ways to cope. He writes “Physical activity does dissolve (or cover up) anxiety, but one of the things I’ve come here to learn, or remember, is how to feel comfortable without losing myself in constant doing. Actually, I believe our whole culture needs to consider this if we want to survive and enjoy living. It isn’t actually non doing that generates anxiety, but rather fretting about doing or not doing. When I’m simply in the moment, without worrying about what I ought to be doing, my mind is at ease. It’s when I try and microplan everything that my imagination runs amok-because I can’t really know what will happen. Then after all the nutty speculation, things often fall into place naturally as the actual situation unfolds. But planning is useful, so the trick is to think about pending activity without becoming anxious.” Taking this lesson to heart I became determined to live in the moment on this hike. Don’t be overwhelmed by that far off impossible looking peak. One step at a time and FOCUS. I found Snowslide Lake to be very peaceful and quiet. Again one old fire ring. Most likely from the Trailblazers who probably stocked this lake years ago. I went bed with the hulking shape of Snowslide Peak (4,964’) above me. Could I summit that? No anxiety.
Ragged Ridge Traverse 2
Ragged Ridge Traverse 2
North Star Creek pots
North Star Creek pots
More North Star Creek pots
More North Star Creek pots
Frozen pot
Frozen pot
Crest near south end of Ragged Ridge
Crest near south end of Ragged Ridge
Lake Isabel and Heart Lake
Snowslide Peak from summit of Ragged Ridge
Snowslide Peak from summit of Ragged Ridge
Ragged Ridge summit
Ragged Ridge summit
View from Ragged towards Spire Mtn.
View from Ragged towards Spire Mtn.
Pt. 4,973 from Ragged
Pt. 4,973 from Ragged
Ragged from Pt. 4,973
Ragged from Pt. 4,973
View from Pt. 4,973 down Excelsior Creek
View from Pt. 4,973 down Excelsior Creek
Point 5,137
Point 5,137
View from Pt. 4,973 NE. Snowslide Peak on left. Lake is hidden behind middle peak.
View from Pt. 4,973 NE. Snowslide Peak on left. Lake is hidden behind middle peak.
Bushwhack Peak from S
Bushwhack Peak from S
Snowslide Peak from SW. I traversed the other side.
Snowslide Peak from SW. I traversed the other side.
Rock horns on Sultan divide
Rock horns on Sultan divide
Looking back on Pt. 4,973. I followed the ridge up the left skyline and then down in the foreground.
Looking back on Pt. 4,973. I followed the ridge up the left skyline and then down in the foreground.
Snowslide Lake
Snowslide Lake
Swim time!
Swim time!
Flowers
Flowers
Gunn Peak massif
Gunn Peak massif
Campsite
Campsite
DAY 3-Snowslide Lake to east basin below Nine Lives Peak This was my crux day as I had to figure out a way around Headwall Peak but first thing was to examine Snowslide Peak. Leaving my pack about 200’ below the summit on the East Ridge I scrambled up and then around to the south side. A pair of falcons greeted me. I watched mesmerized as they dived effortlessly around me. How graceful. I found a route that only looked to be Class 3 but was very exposed. A fall would have been certain death. Wisely made the decision to not summit this peak. Made it to within 100 feet of the top. Headwall Peak was now firmly in sight about a half mile north. Headwall Peak (4,988’) is the prominent peak that can easily be seen from Hwy 2 just to the right of Mt. Stickney at the head of the Wallace River valley. Probably one of the most easily seen peaks in the area that is never climbed. This was the one area of the traverse where I was not sure it would go without a major 2,000’ descent to the Wallace valley. Headwall Peak has several steep imposing rock ridges on both the east and west sides making a traverse out of the question. The only route would be up and over the summit. Coming as I was now from the south end I had no way to see the north ridge. The topo map showed that both the north and south ridge to be similar gradient. From the south saddle at 4,200’ I contemplated my move. If I went all the way to the summit and could not get down, I would need to retrace my steps south and then all the way down. The ascent was nice Class 2 with lots of brush, small trees, and rock to hold onto. I reached the summit and immediately looked down the north ridge. I saw a few sloping brushy ledges that connected just enough. It will go! I yelled “YES” to the sky. up.gif Getting down proved easier then getting around the final minor sub-summit that was blocking me from the enormous open boulder field below Bushwhack Peak. Finally after some very physical work in the grueling heat I reached the boulder field. Reaching this boulder field was a huge relief because I knew there was an easy way over the ridge into the Sultan drainage. Crossing the half mile boulder field was unbelievably hot. It was angled southwest into the peak of the afternoon heat. Some hikers may not like boulder fields but after all the brush they were a welcome sight to me. It is unnerving when they shift slightly as you step on them, making me quote Aaron Ralston “Geologic time, includes now”. paranoid.gif Dropped my pack at the divide and gazed up at Bushwhack Peak (5,145’). Bushwhack Peak has been a dream of mine for years. Driving in from Olney Pass you can just catch a glimpse of this incredible knife shaped peak. For years I have wondered what that peak was like. Unlike all my previous peaks on this traverse this one is in the Beckey CAG. Just listed as Pt. 5,145’. I am not sure where the name Bushwhack comes from. Not on the USGS maps. The CAG states the first known ascent was made in 1978. This peak is completely vertical on three sides with some outstanding looking climbing routes. A steep but not that exposed Class 2-3 route leads to the summit from the south. What a view from here! I searched for an eventually found a very old rusted metal tea box. The lid was so rusty that when I pried it open it shattered. Inside were some small scraps of paper. With trembling fingers I attempted to open these flat. Some disintegrated into pieces as soon as I touched them. I did get a few open but the writing had long since faded. I made out a few characters. A date that was 1979 and another that read 1985. Something about a “USGS map WRONG!!! Peak 5,145’” and “all the way up the South Fork Sultan” Not sure what that is about. Note that the Mt. Stickney 7.5 minute series was not published until 1989. Did these early guys use the 15 minute series and there was an error? I tried to read some names but was getting dizzy from squinting so hard. Mark Dale was the only one for sure I could make out. I carefully put these treasures back in the metal box as if they were sacred scrolls. Later at home I would read in the CAG that Mark Dale, Gary Gordon, and Mike Mittendorf made the third known ascent in April 1979. No other info in the CAG or that I could find on the web regarding later ascents. Made camp in the same place I camped the previous year, in the high broad basin to the east of Nine Lives Peak. Took a nice bath and lay naked in the tent to escape the bugs and the heat as there was no shade here. Within minutes of the sun going down I was putting on all the clothes I brought to stay warm.
Ragged Ridge Traverse 3
Ragged Ridge Traverse 3
From Snowslide Peak. Ragged Ridge on left. Pt. 4,973 in middle. Pt. 5,137 on right.
From Snowslide Peak. Ragged Ridge on left. Pt. 4,973 in middle. Pt. 5,137 on right.
Snowslide Lake from Snowslide Peak
Snowslide Lake from Snowslide Peak
Close up of the striking east face of Pt. 5,137
Close up of the striking east face of Pt. 5,137
Backside of Zekes, Pinta, and Nina Peaks
Backside of Zekes, Pinta, and Nina Peaks
From Headwall Peak down Salmon Creek valley
From Headwall Peak down Salmon Creek valley
From Headwall Peak looking S- Snowslide Peak is prominent
From Headwall Peak looking S- Snowslide Peak is prominent
From Headwall Peak down the Wallace River
From Headwall Peak down the Wallace River
From Headwall Peak looking N
From Headwall Peak looking N
Bushwhack Peak-south face
Bushwhack Peak-south face
Boulder field below summit
Boulder field below summit
View from Sultan divide back towards Headwall Peak
View from Sultan divide back towards Headwall Peak
West face Bushwhack Peak
West face Bushwhack Peak
Wee bit of exposure getting up
Happy Bushwhack summit
Happy Bushwhack summit
View to the east
View to the east
View towards Mt. Stickney
View towards Mt. Stickney
Spada Lake, Static Peak, and Mt. Pilchuck in distance
Spada Lake, Static Peak, and Mt. Pilchuck in distance
The Bushwhack summit register
The Bushwhack summit register
Sacred scrolls?
Sacred scrolls?
Sultan/Wallace divide with Nine Lives Peak
Sultan/Wallace divide with Nine Lives Peak
Fallacy Peak and Tang Tower
Fallacy Peak and Tang Tower
Bushwhack from the west
Bushwhack from the west
My last high camp
My last high camp
Here is a picture of Bushwhack taken from across the valley on a previous trip.
Bushwhack Peak-closeup
Bushwhack Peak-closeup
DAY 4- Nine Lives Peak to Olney Pass Up very early this morning and hiking by 7 in an effort to beat the heat and get home by a decent hour. All ground today I had covered last year so less route finding challenges. Ascended Nine Lives Peak (5,110’) to start the day off and then over to Prospect Peak (4,529’). Those crazy rock horns located between Pt. 5,098’ and Pt. 5,030’ are bizarre when examined from below. How do they stay up? Some are over 60 feet in height. Thought briefly about venturing up towards Pt. 5,030’ but realized I didn’t have the energy for this! On Prospect Peak I located the register which I somehow missed last year. No recorded visits since Mike Collins and company in 2005. From here it is all downhill to the Kromona Mine. At first I thought I must have missed it but then came out right on top of it. Did not stay here long. Very hot with lots of flies. The Middle Fork had strange green algae in it. Had not seen this anywhere else up this way. Is anyone know what causes this? Is it from the old mine? confused.gif At the South Fork, South Fork crossing there was a strong downdraft of cold air and no insects of any kind. I laid in the shade on cool rocks looking up at the blue sky not quite ready for my 72 hours of solitude to end. At Olney Pass I got a ride after two minutes with the first pickup truck. Sitting in the back watching the miles fly by I found myself grinning from ear to ear. What a great traverse! cool.gif up.gif
View from NLP towards Spada
View from NLP towards Spada
Nine Lives Peak 7:30 AM
Nine Lives Peak 7:30 AM
Even more horns
Even more horns
This horn looks phallic
This horn looks phallic
More horns
More horns
Pt. 5,030
Pt. 5,030
Horns
Horns
Prospect Peak
Prospect Peak
Register
Register
Another crappy old mine picture
Another crappy old mine picture
Weird green algae in stream
Weird green algae in stream
Is this a normal trail?
Is this a normal trail?
FREE RIDE!
FREE RIDE!
Total peaks climbed: 7 People seen: 0 Saw 1 deer, 1 goat, one pair falcons Pairs of gaiters shredded: 2 Gallons of gas used for hike: 0

Any worthwhile expedition can be planned on the back of an envelope- H. W. Tilman

ozzy
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 5:58 pm 
What an incredible adventure. Great pics and a great story. Thanks SG.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 6:01 pm 
Wow! borank.gif

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 6:13 pm 
Thanks for showing the photo of Prospect Peak register. I forgot that I had climbed it twice.

Riptide Rush

Riptide Rush
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 6:16 pm 
Wow what a great trip! I loved the ancient artifacts you found on Bushwack Peak! And the horns on 9 lives looked pretty cool too! Your 72 hours of solitude looked pretty awesome! Thanks for the report! It was a great read!!

Gil

Gil
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 6:31 pm 
Best I've read in a while -- a real exploration!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 7:49 pm 
Campsite
Campsite
Sacred scrolls?
Sacred scrolls?
Bushwhack Peak-closeup
Bushwhack Peak-closeup
Pt. 5,030
Pt. 5,030
Andy, I don't know which is better, your trips or your TR's. The trips are amazing, extraordinary, unique. The reports do them justice ....... which is saying a great deal. Thanks.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
n16ht5

n16ht5
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 1:07 am 
you rock. awesome report mayn up.gif

Justus S.

Justus S.
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 1:30 am 
Great Traverse indeed!!! That area is one of my favorites since it is so remote/rugged yet so close to home. I was fortunate to get up Ragged Ridge Pk (tr) and 5137 before the road closures on the flats. I have been wanting to do a some of the other peaks for a long time. Thanks for posting the TR, I'm making a mental bookmark:)

tmatlack

tmatlack
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 2:10 am 
Awesome. You are the off-trail king! Everytime I drive US2 eastbound I look up in those valleys and say, "No one goes there....evxcept SG!" Tom

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 3:24 am 
Great trip report, Andy! Great photos, too! up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 5:34 am 
Nice trip reprt. Been there a few times very nice area and lives up to it's name. Can't believe they are proposing a trail up there but everyone has a dream.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 6:32 am 
What an awesome idea/adventure! My favorite TR of 2011 thus far.
Sky Hiker wrote:
Nice trip reprt. Been there a few times very nice area and lives up to it's name. Can't believe they are proposing a trail up there but everyone has a dream.
Some places ought to be left trailless to provide for such adventures and solitude. I think we have plenty of trail in the wild country, we could use more in the urban/suburban, though!

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 7:52 am 
Wow, an awesome rarely traversed area close to home. Good for you SG, to try something near and dear rather than one of the grand traverses in the GPW or NCNP. I remember reading an article long ago in Pack and Paddle by John Roper doing a similiar route, but other than he, haven`t heard of anyone doing that trip. Great job; like the philosophical quotes as well.....

silence

silence
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 7:53 am 
so inspiring .. in many ways .. thx!!

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan