Forum Index > Food & Grub > Roast your own coffee beans...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostWed Sep 07, 2011 6:22 pm 
...in a popcorn popper

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Lono

Lono
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 5:41 am 
I've roasted my own coffee beans for 5-6 years now, its my satori, the one hour when I just shut down, go out to our detached garage, and roast beans for the week. A popcorn popper, better yet if you get into roasting a $70 roaster from Sweet Maria's is what I recommend. And there are far more expensive roasters if you really care, but the bump in freshness and quality will already amaze most folks when they use a popcorn popper or inexpensive hot air roaster. Big emphasis on the well ventilated area though, you get a lot of smoke, outdoor popping or popping in a detached garage is recommended. Folks who walk past my garage on roasting days comment favorably on the smell, and the whole garage has now been cured with coffee smoke. Sweet Maria's is a great source for info on home roasting and a great source for green beans. I can't say as I really save a lot of money roasting my own, but if it replaces the cost of a daily or thrice daily vento from a neighborhood barista or Megabucks chain, then yeah you can save a lot of dough through roasting. Coffee is just something you should enjoy either way. I don't mean to brag but its just a fact, my home roasts are similar in taste to the excellent roasts put out by Cafe Vivace, on the weeks when I'm just too busy to head for the garage, Vivace is where I buy my coffee. Why drink Starbucks if you don't have to.

Ziploc

Ziploc
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 7:12 am 
Sounds like you have a sweet set-up there Lono. up.gif With the popcorn popper guy, I'm not real impressed with the quaulity of green bean in the picture. Looks to be Prime (lowest grade). Basically what is swept off the mill floor. Why bother? For better quality look for consistent size and color in the beans.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 9:14 am 
I roast right on top of my stove with my Fresh Roast. Just fire up the hood fan, no problems with smoke.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Lono

Lono
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 12:14 pm 
There you go, I've tried running my Fresh roast with the kitchen fan on but no joy, always triggers the smoke alarm. You must have a better vent. Sweet Marias is particularly good at assessing different coffees, tracking them down to the farm that produced the crop in most cases; I can rely on past history with cultivars and producers to pick good coffee beans year over year. For the most part in terms of my taste I've settled into Panama, Costa Rica and Colombian beans, but other folks feel just as strongly about Yemeni, Kenyan, Ethiopian etc etc. Its all good.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 12:17 pm 
I'm into the SM French Roast, also the Idido and the Harrar, both of which are only intermittently available. I'm roasting for a La Pavoni Europiccola, and it's very picky about what it wants to brew. I almost always have to go well into or even past second crackle to get enough oil out of the beans too. Love the Eurpopiccola, but she's a fussy one.

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...

Cale Hoopes
On Glissade...
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 1:45 pm 
I'm also a garage roaster. Hot Top roaster does 1/2 lb and has tons of control.

Cale Hoopes caledh@gmail.com
Lono

Lono
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 6:36 pm 
Allison wrote:
I'm roasting for a La Pavoni Europiccola, and it's very picky about what it wants to brew. I almost always have to go well into or even past second crackle to get enough oil out of the beans too. Love the Eurpopiccola, but she's a fussy one.
Ooo, I used to work with an attorney who had a Europiccola in his office, who he referred to as Monica for Monica Vitti a tempermental Italian actress from the 60s. His Eruopiccola would give him problems and he would occasionally send it out for a tune up, and act like a spurned lover while Monica was away, then be all happy when she returned. He had a serious caffeine jones for Monica's ministrations.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Sep 08, 2011 6:41 pm 
Lono wrote:
His Eruopiccola would give him problems and he would occasionally send it out for a tune up
Home Espresso Repair has a three week turnaround on redoing the gaskets, so I Refeather The Peacock myself. This machine runs over $800 new nowadays. If you ever see one at a nice price (I paid an insane pittance for mine nib), pick it up. While temperamental, it makes the best espresso drinks I've ever had. Especially right now, since I just did the gaskets. smile.gif