Forum Index > Trip Reports > Douglas Canyon, Moses Coulee - 10/2/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 7:46 am 
On our way back from Idaho, we weren't anxious to drive into the wall of rain we could see to the west and get home too early so we decided to head through Moses Coulee from the east and find Douglas Canyon. Quark had been there so I knew it couldn't be too bad. I've driven by this coulee many times on the way to Ancient Lakes but the lower end didn't look very appealing with all the powerlines from Rock Island Dam so I've never bothered to go into it. I was pleasantly surprised.
entering Moses Coulee from the east
entering Moses Coulee from the east
Steamboat Rock Moses Coulee
Steamboat Rock Moses Coulee
wall above Palisades
wall above Palisades
We found Wagon Road but weren't sure where to stop and park so we parked at the bottom. It turned out we could have driven farther but we would have also missed some of the sights. After the short road walk, we joined the old railroad grade and started following it into the canyon.
top of old RR tunnel
top of old RR tunnel
Douglas Creek
Douglas Creek
Douglas Creek
Douglas Creek
We had to climb over a section where a tunnel had collapsed and then we followed a steep trail down to it's opposite entrance where we could see the falls.
Douglas Creek Falls
Douglas Creek Falls
Douglas Creek Falls
Douglas Creek Falls
Douglas Creek
Douglas Creek
We explored the canyon bottom around the falls for a while and then proceeded up to the first creek crossing where a trestle had been. We didn't want to get our feet wet so we turned around here.
looking down RR grade
looking down RR grade
canyon walls
canyon walls
lower creek
lower creek
To delay our return home a bit more, we drove up the Rock Island Grade and walked out toward Moses Stool before getting back in the car and heading home via Waterville and Hiway 2.
sagebrush in bloom
sagebrush in bloom
trail to Moses Stool
trail to Moses Stool
trail to Moses Stool
trail to Moses Stool
looking west
looking west
Here's the map for the start of the RR grade. You turn off Palisades Road at Wagon Road and then left onto Slack Canyon Road SW.
View larger size in new window

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 8:38 am 
Dang, Randy, that's pretty neat. humpy.gif All the times I've driven Moses Coulee,* I've never found anywhere you could 'explore'. I thought it was all private, fenced property. Could you actually have driven that road (Wagon Road?) that leads up into Douglas Canyon? It looks like just following the old railroad grade would be fun. ........ It's very convenient to Wenatchee. biggrin.gif Apologies to Quark. It sounds like I've missed one of your TR's. frown.gif *I really thought I'd been on every drivable road in the coulee, in its several different accessible sections ..... on purpose.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
JimK

JimK
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 9:25 am 
Thanks for the report Randy. Some nice color back in there. Looks like another Quarkian spot neglected by the masses.

Schroder

Schroder
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 11:03 am 
I've shown a map on where you access the start of the rail trail. Don't park on the side of the road at the bottom of the hill - it's all private property. Quark's report from 2009 is here and Opus' from 2007 is here. The Douglas PUD website has an essay on the history of the coulee
Quote:
Though there are many farms and ranches in the Palisades area, the majority of traffic through town, especially in the summer months, seems to be from those heading to Douglas Creek. Though few people in the county know of Douglas Creek, it should be known that the locals themselves avidly avoid the area. The beautiful mountain trails, falls and pools have been a gathering place for teenagers and “hippies” for as long as those in Palisades can remember.
lol.gif I also found an article on the Great Northern's Mansfield Branch Line and another on an interesting cave in the coulee that produced ice year around.

dropkick

dropkick
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 1:21 pm 
I did that once in the winter when it was all snowy. Beautiful country. I like the way it looks in the fall too! I didn't drive up the hill in the snow, but plenty of 4x's did.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 1:22 pm 
Yah, great place. Talked to a guy a few years who said there was rumblings about making the canyon motorless. Great pics, Randy. Looking forward to hearing about your Idaho trip, too! I espied Moses Stool on the map several years ago, but haven't made it there yet; you could take the name a couple of different ways....I think Bloated Chipmunk did a report on that as well.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting