Forum Index > Trip Reports > Rock Lake Sep 10, 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gamble Creeker Jim

Gamble Creeker Jim
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 10:27 pm 
Rock Lake, September 10, 2011 - Arrived at the fisherman’s trailhead. Beautiful blue sky morning with mountain temperatures expected in the mid 80’s again. There was no sign at the trailhead and it was about 100 feet from the turnaround at the end of the logging road. This was maybe a quarter mile from the signed Evans Lake trailhead. The trail was always steeply up (no switchbacks) following ridges all the way. After maybe 2 hours I reached a nice little pond and rested a little. Even after the pond the trail kept climbing getting a little tricky at times with the steep slope and bare steep rock. I lost the trail slightly at times but kept to the ridge crest and always found the trail again after 50 feet or so. There were a few large trees blocking the way which took some effort to get over. The trailhead was at 3,700 feet and the highest point on the trail was about 5,030 feet and the lake at 4,544 feet. When the trail sort of leveled off at the top for about a quarter of a mile there was a pile of rocks which indicates the trail makes a 90 degree left turn straight down the side of the steep ridge. The trail was faint at this point and if it were not for the rocks you would never guess to head down. The trail was intermittent down the hill and they ended up at the outlet while I ended up in the middle of the lake shore at a real nice campsite close to the waters edge. At least there was enough of a level spot for my little one man tent. I was tuckered out some even though this was only a 1,200 foot climb and then a 500 descend to the lake. It was either the steepness of the fisherman’s trail that wore me out or not enough rest from the earlier hike but I was tired. Still strong but needed to relax. After my legs recovered somewhat I headed around the shore (which took 30 minutes) to the outlet. Found a trail heading across the outlet and on up to the next lake I suspect. But I heard that lake was still frozen over. It was a great hike, a real nice lake.
Rock Lake Trail Profile
Rock Lake Trail Profile
Rock Lake area. Including the fishermen's unsigned trail indicated in the black dashed line.
Rock Lake area. Including the fishermen's unsigned trail indicated in the black dashed line.
My camp
My camp

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostThu Sep 29, 2011 11:29 pm 
NIce pics. Ya, she's a beauty that's for sure.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Sep 30, 2011 5:19 am 
You just followed the boot marks left by BJ. Nice report https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7993975

RichP

RichP
PostFri Sep 30, 2011 7:53 am 
Nice. That area is really intriguing. Thanks for the details.