Forum Index > Trip Reports > Choral 7920' - Choral Lake via Anthem Creek
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 12:31 pm 
Location : W of Entiat, Wa. Access : SR 97A > Entiat River Rd. to the end (38 mi.) > Entiat River TH Map : GTM - Lucerne, TOPO Stats : 17 mi, 6000' r/t
Camped 1300' below Chorals face.
Camped 1300' below Chorals face.
Anthem Creek Basin - Choral Peak 7920'- Choral Lake
Anthem Creek Basin - Choral Peak 7920'- Choral Lake
This is one of those long over due trips we finally got to. We backpacked into Choral Creek Basin and did Gopher earlier this summer camping beneath the huge vertical Northface of Choral Peak. There are no trails into that basin. We dayhiked up Anthem Creek into Anthem Creek Basin, Choral Lake, and up class 2-3 Choral Peak 7920'. There are no trails into there either. We started very early taking advantage of the cooler temps, the high ridges, and forest canopy shade. The trails are in great shape and we made good time to the off trail section which starts at Anthem Creek just South of Choral Pass and heads NNE arcing North. We followed the right side of the creek paralleling it for a ways but the left (North) side in the end looked to be the clearest route with quite a few open areas / meadows. The creek has to be crossed to bypass rock outcroppings either way.
The off trail trail section.
The off trail trail section.
So we are walking through the woods and all of a sudden we came upon one of the best old cabins I have seen.
Walking in the woods and we come up on this awesome cabin.
Walking in the woods and we come up on this awesome cabin.
Anyhow, up the basin to the saddle above Choral Lake. We were in the sun coming up, so I found a large shaded area below a boulder. We ate there with great views. Then slowly scrambled the summit. More great views. We took a short break, then returned. The route went quickly, but the long drop via the switchbacks of the Anthem Creek trail were tiring. Our second descent down that trail in 2013, so a few years break is in order. Long tiring, hot day, but adventurous. Great trip !
Steve looking at the Upper Anthem Creek Basin.
Steve looking at the Upper Anthem Creek Basin.
Anthem Peak
Anthem Peak
Saska
Saska
Gopher
Gopher
Emerald
Emerald
Lunch after a brush bash up Anthem Creek.
Lunch after a brush bash up Anthem Creek.
Upper Choral Lake Basin the outflow drops several hundred feet into Choral Creek Basin.
Upper Choral Lake Basin the outflow drops several hundred feet into Choral Creek Basin.
Choral Lake
Choral Lake
A route up Choral Peak.
A route up Choral Peak.
Original register.
Original register.
I don't sign registers even though it may be interesting to see who has been on certain peaks. Steve opened the register on Choral placed in 1985 by the Mountaineers. Signed in 98 by Fay P., and last signed in 2001, so of course we had to update this one.
I don't sign registers even though it may be interesting to see who has been on certain peaks. Steve opened the register on Choral placed in 1985 by the Mountaineers. Signed in 98 by Fay P., and last signed in 2001, so of course we had to update this one.
Upper Entiat River Valley.
Upper Entiat River Valley.
Fernow. It's E ridge is melting nicely.
Fernow. It's E ridge is melting nicely.
Bonanza and lower right ?
1 label
Bonanza and lower right ?
Maude - 7FJ - Spectacle Buttes
Maude - 7FJ - Spectacle Buttes
Good view of Rampart Mountains.
Good view of Rampart Mountains.
Fifth of July
Fifth of July
Looking down Choral Peaks summit ridge at Saska, Emerald, and Cardinal.
Looking down Choral Peaks summit ridge at Saska, Emerald, and Cardinal.
Fern from the Anthem Creek Basin side, the East face is a sheer drop down into Fern Lake.
Fern from the Anthem Creek Basin side, the East face is a sheer drop down into Fern Lake.
Buck
Buck
For interest only the back side of Reynolds with North Gardner to the right and to the South of Reynolds to the right on the ridge Camels Hump.
For interest only the back side of Reynolds with North Gardner to the right and to the South of Reynolds to the right on the ridge Camels Hump.
Saddle above Choral Lake with route up Choral. The Northface drops over 1300' vertical. This is a better route.
Saddle above Choral Lake with route up Choral. The Northface drops over 1300' vertical. This is a better route.
Anthem Creek Basin / Headwaters
Anthem Creek Basin / Headwaters
Borealis Ridge -Borealis Pass - Pinnacle - Gopher - Saska ( far right )
Borealis Ridge -Borealis Pass - Pinnacle - Gopher - Saska ( far right )
Choral Lake from the saddle where we had lunch and I found shade beneath some large boulders.
Choral Lake from the saddle where we had lunch and I found shade beneath some large boulders.
Clark - Luhanna - Buck - Glacier etc...
Clark - Luhanna - Buck - Glacier etc...
Fern and Anthem across Anthem Creek Basin
Fern and Anthem across Anthem Creek Basin
Headed up to the saddle above Choral Lake. Choral peak is just to the left the summit higher and out of sight.
Headed up to the saddle above Choral Lake. Choral peak is just to the left the summit higher and out of sight.
Maude Complex
Maude Complex
Saska and Emerald
Saska and Emerald

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
gb

gb
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 1:26 pm 
Nice area. Maybe the pencil was just missing. wink.gif Nice to know that that area escaped the big Entiat fire. I had thought it had burned from looking at some pretty poor photos. Looks like there was some smoke at the time you were there.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 1:52 pm 
We signed the register with the provided pencil. Smoke wasn't an issue where we were but obscured to the SE and South.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 3:27 pm 
More good beta. I would like to get into Anthem Basin just for a pleasant backpacking trip. Maybe from the Snowbrushy trail. That way you could avoid the switchbacks up the Anthem Ck Trail. Did Steve have any info on the cabin?

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 3:37 pm 
No it was a real oddity in the middle of nowhere with no trails, thick forest, no signs people were recently there etc..., there was something strange about it but I won't go there right now.

drysider

drysider
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 7:33 pm 
The Tinpan fire of 2006 did burn the lower part of Choral Creek and the trail in from Snow Brushy is gone. I would definitely recommend doing the 54 switchbacks like Rob did. Actually counted them in 85 while working for the USGS while re-mapping the Lucerne 15 min. quad. Great photos. Wondering if you saw any fish at the lake; Trailblazers plant golden trout up there periodically but they do freeze out once in a while.

Keep moving; it delays getting old & freezing.
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 8:03 pm 
up.gif You definitely don't want to come In via Snowbrushy we did that when we went into Choral Basin the wildfire really trashed that end of the Duncan Ridge trail. Anthem Creek in has switchbacks but is in great condition with a good grade it just seems endless coming out. No fish in the lake but it might make a frigid swimming hole.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 9:11 pm 
drysider wrote:
The Tinpan fire of 2006 did burn the lower part of Choral Creek and the trail in from Snow Brushy is gone.
OK, why does the FS maintain the Anthem trail so well if it doesn't go anywhere? Summiting Duncan is much better from the Duncan Ridge trail so you wouldn't use Anthem for that (like I just did). If they don't maintain it all the way over to Snowbrushy where do you take that trail to?

gb

gb
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 10:25 pm 
Thanks, you guys, for additional information on the Anthem/Snow Brushy/Choral area. That trip is one I might have done in the fall of 2012. I did the 45 mile driveway instead in part because there was appreciable snow and I wanted a trail that just went straight up and didn't traverse high, snow-covered ground. At the time I did it I had no idea that the 45 mile area had been burnt to 6500-6800'. Fortuately the beautiful alpine was unburnt but the fire did take out about half a dozen 3 to 3-1/2 foot larches around 6700' that must have been 500 years old.

wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostSun Aug 11, 2013 8:01 am 
The Duncan Ridge trail pre-dates the Anthem Creek trail. The condition of both the trails is due to decreased traffic and local efforts not FS activity. If not for the wildfire near the Snowbrushy end it would be a great ridge run / connector. The trail is still decent over Choral Pass to Choral Creek and wouldn't take much effort to improve beyond that. Steve has the answer your looking for probably. Anthem Creek trail may have been an alternative route to the Duncan Ridge Lookout.

HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostSun Aug 11, 2013 9:05 am 
wildernessed wrote:
Steve has the answer your looking for probably. Anthem Creek trail may have been an alternative route to the Duncan Ridge Lookout.
That's the route I took to the lookout. I was thinking more of making a loop over to and down Snowbrushy after checking out Anthem Basin.