Forum Index > Trip Reports > 50 miles in ONP:Slab Camp, Cameron, Dose, Elwha 7/26-29/2013
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Texaco

Texaco
PostThu Aug 08, 2013 9:25 pm 
Accept my apologies for the late report, hiking and climbing keep getting in the way of writing about hiking and climbing. My wife and me did an ultralight 50-miler starting at Slab Camp and finishing at Whiskey Bend (Elwha) two weeks ago. This was her first hike of this distance, so I let her be in control of which direction we went along the way (I’ve learned to never decide on the route by myself, especially when I’m with anyone who is less experienced). She continued to choose the longer option each night we talked about what might be on the menu for our route. Originally we had planned to start and finish at Slab Camp, but her hardcore decision-making continued towards unplanned destinations until we finally walked out at Whiskey Bend. I was thankful to have a satellite transponder once again. It allowed us to have more freedom than I have ever experienced in the Olympics. Special thanks go to my parents for watching the kids, and for picking us up at Elwha after receiving our satellite texts. Friday, July 26 We left the Slab Camp TH at noon. A downhill tramp following Slab Creek led us down to and then across the Grey Wolf. I mistakenly assumed that Day One would entail an easy lower river stroll up to Lower Cameron Camp much like rivers of comparable size in the Buckhorn, e.g. the Dungeness or Upper Grey Wolf. This portion of the Grey Wolf Trail switchbacks for some time until it rises above the canyon below making for more uphill than I bargained for on my wife’s first 50-mile trek. The trail grade levels off a mile above Grey Wolf Camp, and its neighbor Three Forks. We took a short break and headed up Cameron Creek. There were quite a few blow downs to get around on the way up stream, but nothing that appreciably slowed our progress.
Cameron-Elwha001
Cameron-Elwha001
Grey Wolf
Grey Wolf
Cameron Creek
Cameron Creek
Cameron Creek
Cameron Creek
Forest Chicken
Forest Chicken
Walking the plank
Walking the plank
Cameron Forest
Cameron Forest
Camp 1
Camp 1
The trail follows the northern branch of Cameron Creek for a spell, before turning south, then east, and heading across the lower basin, paralleling the southern branch of the stream. I missed the trail at its junction with that northern branch. The oversight was short-lived as we backtracked down the gully, and regained the trail in the meadow.
Lower Cameron
Lower Cameron
Name that peak...real man's lone tree pass on the left side
Name that peak...real man's lone tree pass on the left side
Lower Cameron
Lower Cameron
Lower Cameron
Lower Cameron
Lower Cameron Waterfall
Lower Cameron Waterfall
Cameron-Elwha015
Cameron-Elwha015
With bug
With bug
Without
Without
More flowers than I've ever seen this trip!
More flowers than I've ever seen this trip!
Lower Cameron
Lower Cameron
Name that spider...
Name that spider...
Cameron Meadows
Cameron Meadows
Cameron Meadows
Cameron Meadows
Upper Cameron
Upper Cameron
Approaching Upper Cameron
Approaching Upper Cameron
Cameron-Elwha025
Cameron-Elwha025
Baker
Baker
Northern branch of Upper Cameron
Northern branch of Upper Cameron
Lower Cameron Basin
Lower Cameron Basin
On the right track
On the right track
Multiple boot paths dissect Cameron Basin, but the right path is obvious especially as you look to hikers right for the Cameron Pass Trail easily observed switch backing up the scree slopes. It was a quick trip up to the base of the buttress that diverts the route up the snow slope (or, more scree switch backs later in the summer) to climber’s right.
Upper Cameron
Upper Cameron
Upper Cameron
Upper Cameron
Upper Cameron
Upper Cameron
Cameron-Elwha033
Cameron-Elwha033
Cameron-Elwha034
Cameron-Elwha034
Cameron Pass ahead
Cameron Pass ahead
Cameron-Elwha037
Cameron-Elwha037
Cameron-Elwha038
Cameron-Elwha038
Cameron Pass right there!
Cameron Pass right there!
I was blown away by the view that opened up beyond the pass. Mount Olympus looked the same as it typically looks from the northeastern portion of the Park, but the surprise for me was the sight of Mount Anderson that we faced the whole way down to Lost Pass. I have nearly hiked every trail in the Park, and this one now nearly tops my list.
Cameron Pass
Cameron Pass
Cameron-Elwha041
Cameron-Elwha041
Cameron-Elwha042
Cameron-Elwha042
Cameron-Elwha043
Cameron-Elwha043
Cameron-Elwha044
Cameron-Elwha044
Cameron-Elwha045
Cameron-Elwha045
Cameron-Elwha046
Cameron-Elwha046
Cameron-Elwha047
Cameron-Elwha047
Cameron-Elwha048
Cameron-Elwha048
Cameron-Elwha049
Cameron-Elwha049
Arriving at Lost Pass
Arriving at Lost Pass
Cameron-Elwha051
Cameron-Elwha051
Cameron-Elwha052
Cameron-Elwha052
Cameron-Elwha053
Cameron-Elwha053
The trail beyond Lost Pass crashes quite abruptly in its one-mile descent to Dose Meadows, where we made camp.
Heading down to the Dose on Lost Pass Trail
Heading down to the Dose on Lost Pass Trail
Cameron-Elwha055
Cameron-Elwha055
Sunday, July 28 We awoke feeling refreshed in the sun-drenched meadows of the Upper Dose. Passing on the exit routes we saw as options, we headed for the Elwha.
Dose Meadows
Dose Meadows
Cameron-Elwha057
Cameron-Elwha057
Cameron-Elwha058
Cameron-Elwha058
The Hayden Pass Trail would prove a thorough tour of the vast collection of meadows that transition water from the Dose, towards the great Elwha. If I were the kind of hiker that could sit in one place for more than an hour, I would pick this area to hang out at for a day or so; endless meadows, marmots, and mountain vistas. Views from the NE side of the pass showed off Mount Deception and The Needles. As the marathon trail starts down towards the Elwha, views open up towards Mount Anderson, and The Bailey Range.
On the way to Hayden Pass
On the way to Hayden Pass
Cameron-Elwha060
Cameron-Elwha060
Cameron-Elwha061
Cameron-Elwha061
Cameron-Elwha062
Cameron-Elwha062
Cameron-Elwha063
Cameron-Elwha063
Cameron-Elwha064
Cameron-Elwha064
Cameron-Elwha065
Cameron-Elwha065
Cameron-Elwha066
Cameron-Elwha066
Cameron-Elwha067
Cameron-Elwha067
Deception and The Needles
Deception and The Needles
Deception
Deception
Cameron-Elwha070
Cameron-Elwha070
Hayden Pass
Hayden Pass
Heading down to the Elwha
Heading down to the Elwha
Cameron-Elwha073
Cameron-Elwha073
Cameron-Elwha074
Cameron-Elwha074
Best hiking buddy ever...
Best hiking buddy ever...
Cameron-Elwha076
Cameron-Elwha076
Cameron-Elwha077
Cameron-Elwha077
Cameron-Elwha078
Cameron-Elwha078
Anderson
Anderson
Cameron-Elwha080
Cameron-Elwha080
Cameron-Elwha081
Cameron-Elwha081
Cameron-Elwha082
Cameron-Elwha082
Cameron-Elwha083
Cameron-Elwha083
Cameron-Elwha084
Cameron-Elwha084
Cameron-Elwha085
Cameron-Elwha085
Views became fewer as the trail descended the last half of the Hayden Pass Trail. We motored on down to the Elwha, joining the trail at the Hayes Ranger Station trail junction. Our sights were set on the luxury accommodations at Elkhorn. Our only obstacle was my favorite stretch of massive Doug Firs in the Olympics.
Still heading down to the Elwha
Still heading down to the Elwha
Cameron-Elwha087
Cameron-Elwha087
Cameron-Elwha088
Cameron-Elwha088
Cameron-Elwha090
Cameron-Elwha090
Huge Elwha Doug's just before Hayes Ranger Station
Huge Elwha Doug's just before Hayes Ranger Station
Desperate (and cute) attempt to augment boot padding
Desperate (and cute) attempt to augment boot padding
Cameron-Elwha094
Cameron-Elwha094
Cameron-Elwha095
Cameron-Elwha095
Cameron-Elwha096
Cameron-Elwha096
Cameron-Elwha097
Cameron-Elwha097
Cameron-Elwha098
Cameron-Elwha098
Elkhorn
Elkhorn
Cameron-Elwha100
Cameron-Elwha100
Monday, July 29 We awoke on my birthday, once again to nothing but blue sky. Our packs were down to 10-15 pounds by now as we headed down the beautiful Elwha. My wife heard loud crunching noises at one point. I stopped and walked over to the edge of the canyon to see a large male black bear about 30 feet away. It took him just a few minutes to size us up as tourist and get back to his hunt for grubs.
Cameron-Elwha101
Cameron-Elwha101
Grub hunting
Grub hunting
Cameron-Elwha103
Cameron-Elwha103
Cameron-Elwha104
Cameron-Elwha104
Cameron-Elwha105
Cameron-Elwha105
Cameron-Elwha106
Cameron-Elwha106
Cameron-Elwha107
Cameron-Elwha107
We made it to Whiskey Bend before noon, an hour before we were supposed to meet my parents. The route was a world class tour of meadows and some of the best mountain vistas in the park: a fitting line across the map with my incredible, beautiful bride. MILEAGE: 49.1 TIME: 72 hours

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostThu Aug 08, 2013 9:47 pm 
Awesome....congrats! That's a quick trip. Great photos...lots of snow on Cameron pass area! Love Cameron and lost basins! We recently returned from our own Olympics adventure...we are trying to take it easy these days and actually spend time and smell the paintbrushes! Our goal was to visit thousand acre meadows! So worth it! We camped in the basin below Hayden pass, Dose side, for two nights. Envious of your bear sighting at the elwha up.gif my husband loves that area! Thanks for sharing!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Aug 08, 2013 10:18 pm 
your wife's a doll. trip report ain't bad either. smile.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
roadtripmom

roadtripmom
PostFri Aug 09, 2013 9:19 am 
Absolutely awe inspiring. What a fantastic adventure. I haven't had the privilege of exploring the Olympics much. Thank you for sharing !!

kite

kite
PostFri Aug 09, 2013 10:31 am 
most excellent

silence

silence
PostFri Aug 09, 2013 10:55 am 
all beautiful country .. and yeah when you get to the pass and anderson is in yer face ... wowzer sometime you must get up to gray wolf pass and the upper gray wolf too (it rained on us that day so we didn't linger or go up to cedar lake so a return trip is on our future radar) ... anyhow we did a variation of yours ... the loop from deer park, up the cameron to the pass, then to lost pass and the dose (with a side of hayden) and out the gray wolf great report and pix .. you're really adding major stoke to our upcoming olys trip up.gif

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostFri Aug 09, 2013 11:07 am 
What a cool trip! I'm always intrigued by people who get this done with such light packs. Would you care to share a pack list that shows off how you achieved your low weights? I'm guessing having one tent, one stove, one cookset and one water filter between two people really helped. Beautiful pics and I'm supremely envious of your choice of hiking partners. biggrin.gif up.gif up.gif

Texaco

Texaco
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 10:57 am 
Thanks, folks. Looks like you guys were there just after us, bobbi. Great pics you scored in thousand acre meadows. Looks like you guys had a perfect outing. Glad I could get you pumped up for your next adventure, silence. Where you headed? Thanks for the compliments about my hardcore hiking buddy. She did amazingly well! Hottest hiking parter I've had yet!
hiking buddy
hiking buddy

B'ham Dave

B'ham Dave
PostSat Aug 10, 2013 6:38 pm 
Great trip report, outstanding pics, and good motivation for my upcoming trip out there Sep 8-12. Planning on heading in Slab Creek, up the Gray Wolf, over Lost Pass, and down Cameron Creek, back out Slab. Four nights/five days. Haven't been to ONP in 12 years or so. My plan of action is: hump it to Ellis camp, then to Bear, over the pass and down to Lower Cameron, then out to Slide or Tony for a quick out the last day, as it's all the way to Bellingham for me. Any thoughts on camp selection or anything else is always welcome and appreciated.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana. -Groucho Marx