Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lookout Mountain, Selkirks, Idaho - 9/29/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Oct 03, 2011 2:37 pm 
The weather forecast looked more promising to the east for the week so my wife and I packed up and headed to Idaho in an area we had never been. We arrived at Priest Lake around noon on Wednesday after spending the night on the way over in Moses Lake. We decided to go up the East Shore and camp, though most of the campgrounds are on the west side of the lake. At the north end, we drove into Priest Lake State Park - Lions Head Campground and found the place totally empty. Finding a pristine campsite along the beach, we set up camp and wandered the shoreline trails until dinner.
Priest Lake Lions Head State Park
Priest Lake Lions Head State Park
Priest Lake North Shore
Priest Lake North Shore
more sandy beaches
more sandy beaches
old steam tugboat
old steam tugboat
reflections
reflections
life is good
life is good
sunset
sunset
This campground is almost all tent sites with only a few RV spots with no hookups. Vault toilets and pack out all garbage. The amazing thing was that it had wifi - free for 20 minutes a day. And incredible sandy beaches. The next morning we drove six miles further up the road (Milepost 23.6) to Road 44 to head up to Lookout Mountain. Landers guide book "100 Hikes in the Inland Northwest" is misleading on the mileage to this point and the roads are not well marked. Road 44 was in pretty good shape but the 3 miles up Road 432 to the trailhead requires a high clearance vehicle and we had to occasionally move boulders out of the way. The first part of the trail to Lookout Lake was a brushy bootpath. We gained a little elevation, traversed the lake and then followed a much better trail downhill to the end of a road where a Forest Service trail sign pointed up two trails - one to the lookout and one to the lake we had just been. It appeared this had been the old trailhead and the road to it had been decommissioned. Another mile and a half of switchbacks got us up to the lookout
sunrise
sunrise
Lookout Lake and Mountain
Lookout Lake and Mountain
Lookout Mountain
Lookout Mountain
old and new
old and new
The old lookout was built in 1929 and abandoned in 1977 when the new lookout was built.
old lookout
old lookout
old lookout
old lookout
down to Lookout Lake
down to Lookout Lake
east
east
Priest Lake
Priest Lake
north
north
north
north
granite wall
granite wall
east
east
Chimney Rock & others
Chimney Rock & others
down the trail
down the trail
The camp was so nice at the lake that we had to spend another night there before heading east for the next hike.
sunrise
sunrise
sunrise
sunrise
sunrise
sunrise
otter
otter
Map of Lookout Mountain:
View larger size in new window

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
cascadianwarrior
Fear the Yeti

cascadianwarrior
Fear the Yeti
PostMon Oct 03, 2011 10:54 pm 
Beautiful photos. I was up there Sunday-Wednesday and it killed me to have to leave just as the weather broke. Looks like you nailed it biggrin.gif

-Trust Mervin Manufacturing-
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 3:38 pm 
Thanks for all the info, I travel to that area quite frequently. I have relatives who live on the west side of the lake, I don't venture over to the east side much because it is quite a ways, but 2 on my list are this one and Mt Roothan. There is also a secret lake that I just cannot pass up next year.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.

PostTue Oct 04, 2011 4:01 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
There is also a secret lake that I just cannot pass up next year.
this one?

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 8:13 pm 
#19 wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
this one?
That might be it, I haven't been to it yet. I just noticed looking at Shroders map that there is a lake at the base of Lookout Mt, now it is a must do! Might be some protein up in there.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

D. Inscho
Not bored yet...
PostWed Oct 05, 2011 6:52 am 
Looks as though you had the right idea regarding the weather. Love the granite of the area. Thanks Schroder.

http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/ The key to a successful trip is to do the planning during work hours. -- John Muir “My most memorable hikes can be classified as 'Shortcuts that Backfired'.” --Ed Abbey
NW Adventurer

NW Adventurer
PostFri Oct 07, 2011 9:09 pm 
Hmmm The secret lake. I have spent a good deal of time up past Priest Lake, but I have yet to pass INdian Creek campground, so this looks promising. I prefer more secluded hikes and a wee bit longer, but i have to find that lake LOL. The guidebook doesn't do justice to the photos you all have provided. I have the next three days off... I think i know where i'm headed, thanks everyone.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Aug 26, 2019 7:14 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
#19 wrote:
Chief Joseph wrote:
this one?
That might be it, I haven't been to it yet. I just noticed looking at Shroders map that there is a lake at the base of Lookout Mt, now it is a must do! Might be some protein up in there.
Still don't know which lake this is? ^^^ Update on road conditions, there has been a lot of recent logging up FS road #44 on the way to the TH, it's in great shape now, passable even with a low clearance 2wd vehicle. Just follow the pink ribbons and you can't go wrong. Will try to put up a TR later.