Forum Index > Gear Talk > Breathable Cuben Fiber: now at ZPacks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostMon Oct 10, 2011 7:49 pm 
This past winter I got hold of a prototype bivy bag from Gossamer Gear using breathable cuben fiber. I've carried it on a few hikes but have only slept in it once and it seemed to perform adequately (temps in mid 30s). It is definitely waterproof. I've been waiting to see products available using this technology and know that GG and MLD have been testing it. It seems ZPacks has finally made a rain jacket out of this stuff that comes in at 4.7 ozs (size Large). The material is very pricey but Joe (ZPacks owner) offers a variety of cuben products for the most reasonable prices you will find. This year I ran into a couple of backpackers on the WT, young fit studs who were carrying 40-50 pound packs (and they looked like they could handle it). I found it interesting that one worked at REI in Seattle and was asking about my ZPacks pack (cuben). He had never heard of the fabric, had never heard of ZPacks or GG or MLD, and was ignorant of any of the cottage gear companies including Tarptent. It was a reminder that the vast majority of people purchasing gear are not aware of these alternative technologies and US based cottage gear companies. I decided to plug Joe's company ZPacks here as I have purchased some items and find the build quality excellent. I even bought the material from Joe to make my B4, which was used quite a bit this summer by myself and daughter much to our satisfaction, so DIYers can get all the things they need here for a project at very good prices.
B4 in action
B4 in action
Keep in mind that Joe's ability to offer a steady stream of innovative cuben products is a result of he and his wife doing the work in house, so plan on lead times if you want a custom made product of maybe a month. I would encourage you to peruse his site and check out the gear yourself. I plan on a few more purchases this winter.
Zpacks with tube
Zpacks with tube

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
kweb

kweb
PostMon Oct 10, 2011 7:58 pm 
That is great news. ZPacks, GG and MLD are all top notch. Everyone here should own something of theirs.

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostMon Oct 10, 2011 8:12 pm 
AND many of us do! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif dance.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostTue Oct 11, 2011 12:41 am 
williswall wrote:
It seems ZPacks has finally made a rain jacket out of this stuff that comes in at 4.7 ozs (size Large). The material is very pricey but Joe (ZPacks owner) offers a variety of cuben products for the most reasonable prices you will find.
225 bucks may seem a bit shocking....until you realize some GORE-TEX jacket are priced even higher. Factoring that, the 225 bucks for a 5 oz breathable jacket is a bargain. Wonder how water proof the stuff is around the pack straps.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
ReedKoch

ReedKoch
PostThu Oct 13, 2011 9:07 pm 
Eddie down at thepacka is now making a cuben packa that weighs 5.5 oz, is a jacket, and covers your pack as well so no worry about it leaking under your straps. You could probably convince him to make you one out of the breathable cuben.