Forum Index > Trip Reports > Wonderland Trail: 9/17-9/20....1993
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 11:53 pm 
Yes, you read it right. Found a notebook with observations including this from 1993. I have posted the "gear" notes in the gear section. So.....a very long undertaking for one. Left Longmire at 9:15 AM, arrived Golden Lakes at 10 PM. Was always busy w/ chores, eating, or camp. Not time to sit around and relax. In fact, legs were so fatigued at night, had to lay in bag for @ 2 hours before "twitching" resided enough to sleep, especially 3rd night at Indian Bar, where I backtracked at Sunrise and added about 3 miles to hike - a 27 mile day. * Seems I needed to sit for awhile with legs elevated - couldn't do this because of other campers in shelter and didn't want to bother them further (woke them up at 9:00 PM). * Perhaps put pack under legs for awhile while lying down. Other option is to begin much earlier (4 AM?) and have some time in evening to recover before trying to sleep. * Not a recommended 2 person hike. I moved very quickly, sometimes jogging downhill - even up the steeps - kept good pace going and stopped only according to my whims. Estimate another 1-2 hours per day if hiking with a partner. I had no spare time. * Recommended minimum 5 days for this hike with partner, would be about 18 miles/day - more reasonable. * If go with 2, take tent - no substitute for tent if raining, take more interesting food (avocados were great!) * How to lighten load? investigate lighter pack, stash food midway, including fuel. Rainfly, rain pants - look at Montbell for weight and packing (pricey). Look more closely at food. Use climbing stove vs whisperlite - simmer time. Could do without either microfleece or Marmot sweater - or investigate Feathered Friends down vest or sweater, Montbell jacket. * Pack weighed approx 32 lbs, loaded at house (incl water and fuel). 20-25 lbs not impossible. * Note: pack weight was not noticed anytime during hike (unlike 1986). Perhaps due to combination of fitness, poles, pretty light load, Dana pack, attitude. Am making progress on mental toughness. Highlights: First night in Silver Forest - city lights (Tacoma?) and fantastic stars, mountain behind, could see Milky Way. As good as Glacier Meadows/Olympics last October. No moon helped. * Called "extreme" hiker by ranger - other ranger didn't understand (had paunch, big pack) * Although a bit apprehensive, light snow falling (no wind) from Summerland (6:15 PM to Indian Bar 9:00 PM) over Panhandle Gap. Wanted to make Gap before lost light - over rock trail and snow covered. * Morning at Indian Bar. Toasty in bag, 1/2 inch new snow on ground, 35 degrees. * 2nd day, in forest, early AM w/ morning light - a rush of "good feelings" from many other times in my life. Hard to explain, but ecstatic moments from years past seemed to hit me all at the same time. Can I classify this as a "spiritual moment?" People I met: This was Fri - Mon, so saw a fair amount of day hikers on weekend through Spray Park and around Longmire. Met one guy around 7 PM at Panhandle Gap using his cell phone to call wife and arrange for a later pickup - he seemed adequately equipped and was hiking from Box Canyon to White River - running late. * Guys in group camp at Golden Lakes. Equipment was soaked by Delta fuelers, had carte blanche at Seattle REI for $3500 to replace. From Georgia and Alabama. Had about 5 stoves going heating water for shower. Each had folding metal chair - containers of Port wine and Kentucky Bourbon. Were doing west side over 7 days. Obviously a social event. Different philosophy - a hot shower means they will not experience a chilly sponge bath from a local stream. Trying to carry "all the comforts of home" means they exist detached in the wilderness from the wilderness. What's so different from being at home despite being outdoors? I'm trying to "escape" from everyday life, they merely displace it to where they are, still chained to their cushy existence on the east coast. What's the point? They take pride in all their accoutrements, but I only see their huge packs loading them down to go maybe 7 miles so they can set up a new home somewhere down the trail. A reflection of this society I think. Even I have to have enough to be comfortable, but I'm trying to find a balance between comfortable and safe. * Last day - 3 guys from Alexandria, VA - spending 3 days at Rainier then going to the Olympics. Monstrous packs and jeans. Packs seemed to tower 2 feet above their heads. * Last day - only other guy doing the trail in 4 days. Had done PCT and CDT, etc. 44 lb pack. * Last day - people at Indian Bar, including father/daughter, camped outside. Did not understand my 4 day hike. Nice people. Slept in until it was light so as not to disturb them like I did the night before. Finally had to get up around 6:30. They followed suit about 20 minutes later. Snowed on me for about 2 hours once I left. A good sense of accomplishment at finish. Did have a detrimental effect on Portland marathon 6 days later but was well worth it. Didn't see much of the mountain because of weather, but no complaints because of general lack of rain.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message