Forum Index > Gear Talk > Cold weather bag recommendations
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 09, 2011 12:01 am 
For quite some time I have been considering a colder, {as in 0-20 degree} bag and have been unable to find a suitable used one, so I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new one. I would like to spend between 2-$300. I am a fairly warm sleeper with the exception of my hands, and especially my feet. Do some bags have a warmer foot box? I have heard a lot of good things about the Montbell super-stretch bags, FF is out of my price range, as is Western Mountaineering. I am thinking 850-900 fill down would be good, but for $300? Maybe. I have also been entertaining the thought of trying a quilt, but I doubt one would work for me in colder conditions. I still can't believe that no one has a good used one that they could stand to part with....

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostSun Oct 09, 2011 12:08 am 
I have been using a North Face Elkhorn 0 degree bag and it works alright. Not a lightweight bag. It is poly so even when it gets all wet it still works. When it gets really cold I use those thermal liners, each one lowering the comfort rating 10-15 degrees, and then tuck into the sleeing bag. It has one of those drawstrings around the face part, so you can completely close it up. I use flex hose to run out the hole so I can get enough air and so condensation doesn't build up inside the bag.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 09, 2011 12:18 am 
I am also considering synthetic, although most here are not pro-syn. My 'perfect' bag would be between 3-4 lbs, 850 down, warm foot box, and $300 or less. I know, good luck. I should just "bite the bullet" and spring for a Montbell or a WMountaineering, correct?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Hulksmash
Cleaning up.

Hulksmash
Cleaning up.
PostSun Oct 09, 2011 9:03 am 
If you cant afford a FF bag.....save some more $$. They are worth it.

"Bears couldn't care less about us....we smell bad and don't taste too good. Bugs on the other hand see us as vending machines." - WetDog Albuterol! it's the 11th essential
Kieran

Kieran
PostSun Oct 09, 2011 10:21 am 
CJ - have you watched Backpacking Light's Gear Swap forum? Down bags are popping up on there pretty regularly. You gotta keep an eye on the forum though because it's very active and things can go fast: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=19 Is the goal here to get into much colder temps or to simply take care of your fingers and toes while the rest of your body has been fine? Have you considered just taking a hot water bottle with you? $10 at Walmart might give you what you need with a pretty minimal weight penalty.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Oct 09, 2011 7:55 pm 
Kieran wrote:
Is the goal here to get into much colder temps or to simply take care of your fingers and toes while the rest of your body has been fine? Have you considered just taking a hot water bottle with you? $10 at Walmart might give you what you need with a pretty minimal weight penalty.
Thanks for the link, I will check it out. I currently have a 40 degree Marmot Hydrogen, and an older down bag that is heavy and not very warm. I never thought of the water bottle thing, great idea! Btw, the money order is in the mail.

BirdDog

BirdDog
PostSun Oct 09, 2011 8:41 pm 
Check out the Marmot "Never Summer". A great 650 fill value winter bag. I have a Western Mountaineering 20 deg. that suffices for 90% of what I do. The Never Summer is bit bulky and heavy compared to higher end 850 fill bags; but for a few times a year it's a great value. Check the REI sale for one. I used my Never Summer to just above zero and was quite comfy.

"There can be no greater issue than that of conservation in this country." Teddy Roosevelt August 6, 1912
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostMon Oct 10, 2011 4:42 am 
Another couple of options you might want to consider for cold feet: *lightweight down slippers (what we use in cold weather) *toe warmers (I always carry in winter for backup - nice in frozen boots too!) BTW, I've had the thought that if I did a ton of cold weather/snow camping - I maybe should have bought a synthetic bag instead - but then you get into the extra weight/bulk thing. I get kind of tired of worrying about the tent condensation getting the down bags too wet. Yep, could carry something else to put over 'em but...

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 12:49 am 
I am still leaning toward the Montbell super stretch, most here say to go with 800+ down, so why is it that a 0 degree bag like this is 650 fill? http://www.backcountrygear.com/montbell-super-spiral-down-hugger-0.html Also, I am having trouble deciding between a 15 dg and a 0 degree, I know it depends upon how I plan to use it. I would like to stay close to 3 lbs, the Montbell listed above is 3 lbs 8 ozs....decisions.

Todd Ler

Todd Ler
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 2:41 am 
montbell offers their super spiral bags with 3 different fills: 800, 650, and synthetic. super spiral down hugger #0 w/800 fill $499 I use their regular spiral down bags #1 and #3, which I like, but I've no experience with other brands to compare them to. I've seen people on several forums mention marmot helium as a good bag.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 8:45 am 
BirdDog wrote:
Check out the Marmot "Never Summer". A great 650 fill value winter bag.
ditto.gif AFAIK, it's the best deal on a true 0 rated bag. Marmot conservatively rates its bags and the NS is a true 0F bag. FF and WM make great bags, but if they are beyond the reach of your budget, the NS would be a good choice. I suggest you get (or, better yet, make) a silnylon VB liner. It'll add warmth and keep your down dry for multi-day trips. IME, synthetic cold weather bags will quickly lose loft after a few stuffings.

king2005

king2005
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 8:48 am 
pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 9:47 am 
I bought a new Marmot Helium from Tom here on the site for a great price ($250)... What a difference... It also has a roomy and warm foot locker... and is light at just around 2 lbs... biggrin.gif

Happy Trails... pasayten
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 10:21 am 
Chief Joseph wrote:
I am a fairly warm sleeper with the exception of my hands, and especially my feet. Do some bags have a warmer foot box?
I have this experience as well. If you'll pardon a rather obvious suggestion, have you tried wearing gloves and warm sox to bed? That's what I do and it makes a bigger difference than I expected.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 12, 2011 10:38 am 
Yes, I wear gloves and heavy socks, the gloves work, but my feet still get cold, I blame the Cougars....I might try the hot water bottle idea, down booties, chemical foot/hand warmers, or the tried and true forest gnome way, a hot rock wrapped in an old rag/shirt, although can be a mite tricky obtaining the correct temp. doh.gif Thanks to all for the suggestions.