Forum Index > Food & Grub > Non cooked foods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostThu Sep 15, 2011 5:04 pm 
Summer sausage, peanut butter, food bars - those are some typical non cook foods I bring, but I am looking for more ideas for overnights where I want to go real light and leave the cookset at home. What else do you reccommend for non cook meals?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Sep 15, 2011 5:20 pm 
My topic! All my backpacking (up to 5 days) is non-cook. 1st, to use that PB in a convenient form: Peanut Butter Balls 1 c PB 1/2 c raisins 1/4 c honey Powdered milk Dump 1st 3 ingred. in bowl. Start adding PM a bit at a time. Mix by cutting w/ table knife. Keep adding PM and mixing until play-doh-ey, not too sticky nor crumbly. Final mix w/ hand (knead). Form into bite-size balls. I take them in a rigid container so they don't smush back into a mass (which would be OK I guess). More protein: string cheese (in the 1-oz wraps), keeps several days at least. Carbs: Lately I've been liking mostly Triscuits but I have several others in the repertoire. Veggies are more complicated (fried & dried).

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Sep 15, 2011 5:49 pm 
Do you eat chicken? Chicken salad recipes are very easy and filling. Or a twist on tuna salad. No cook couscous salads are easy and filling: http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/no-cook-chicken-cranberry-couscous-salad http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/herbed-tomato-couscous-salad http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/lentil-couscous-salad I really like no cook recipes.....as I prefer to eat that way for lunch and on hot trips smile.gif See here for many, many recipes on no cook!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostThu Sep 15, 2011 7:28 pm 
I pack lots of peanut butter crackers (220 cal/6g protein), Snickers Marathon bars (280 cal/21g protein), pop tarts (200 cal/2g protein), then granola bars (all varieties), beef jerky, trail mixes, etc. I am moving away from the cookset/stove/cooking time/camp chores. Also, find I can carry more food so stay out longer---until I get a horse.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostThu Sep 15, 2011 8:49 pm 
I personally dont know if id want tuna salad or chicken salad(wouldnt the mayo get gross?) when I could have bbq in their place. The pulled pork and brisket at trader joes is surprisingly tasty. The bags it comes in are pretty small if you take em out of the box and a couple tortillas to wrap that stuff up with and youre set. Well besides the beer biggrin.gif up.gif up.gif nevermind i read the recipes and see that those salads are no mayo recipes dizzy.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Sep 15, 2011 10:50 pm 
Chicken salad made with BBQ sauce is very good. And you can get it all shelf stable as well. Ps....mayo packets are shelf stable as well.

JennieEl

JennieEl
PostFri Sep 16, 2011 8:51 am 
I like to get cream cheese packets and use them in tortilla roll-ups. You can use with or mix in olives, dried tomatoes and other veggies, tapenades, herbs, or whatever strikes your fancy.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Sep 16, 2011 10:14 am 
Burke M wrote:
The pulled pork and brisket at trader joes is surprisingly tasty. The bags it comes in are pretty small if you take em out of the box and a couple tortillas to wrap that stuff up with and youre set.
Great minds think alike. I'm taking a package of TJ's pulled pork to the Eagle Cap tomorrow. I bought some of the beef and chicken yesterday, but haven't tried them yet. I'm bringing a bit of crusty loaf instead of the tortillas. I just got another order from Packitgourmet last night, and this time I got lots of their meat items. Pepperoni (3.5 ounce package), summer sausage (3 oz), hard salami (3.5), and the fabulous Kountry Boys pork and beef sausage sticks (4.5 ozs). Some of those Kountry boys and maybe a bagel or tortilla, etc, and you'd have a quick meal. I don't think you can ever save weight this way, though. I do it for convenience and simplicity and taste. A titanium pot, some tin foil, a pop can stove, and a couple ounces of alcohol fuel comes in under a half pound. A dehydrated dinner such as Packit's Texas state fair chili weighs 6 ounces (and is excellent). The TJ's pulled pork weighs 16 ozs, plus tortillas, etc. So you are lighter with a stove even on an overnight trip. And then there's hot coffee in the morning. hmmm.gif This scenario, the one night trip where I don't even need the stove for dinner, is why I got the pop can stove. With that stove, one ounce of fuel in a tiny container I have, and a titanium mug to heat the water in and drink the coffee, I come in under four ounces, and there's plenty of fuel for a couple of cups of Via (which only needs hot water, not boiling). You should look into a 1/2 liter titanium mini-pot and a pop can stove. You would be around four ounces not including fuel. The Ti pot would cost a bit, the pop can stoves are dirt cheap, tinfoil wind screen is practically free, a small container for the fuel is a couple of bux at REI, and the alcohol fuel is very cheap. That's what I like: light and cheap. agree.gif

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Sep 16, 2011 10:16 am 
Yeah...you don't save weight often with no-cook but there is the added bennies of no stove, fuel or cleanup ;-) Or having to carry extra waters. So it goes both ways smile.gif

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostFri Sep 16, 2011 12:38 pm 
@Sluggo Its not cheap but if you really want a treat then go to one of the Bob the Butcher shops and get some landjaeger. The spicy is far and away one of the better snap sausages ive had. Call ahead though because they dont always have it. If only the bears knew what they were missing by not following me down the trail.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Sep 16, 2011 3:41 pm 
Landjaeger? I've had so much landjaeger I'm starting to curse in German. embarassedlaugh.gif Mike220 loves that stuff, and I've been hiking with him a bunch. The Kountry Boys stuff is a little softer, more moist, so I prefer that, but I'm not turning down any landjaegers that are offered. Anyway, it's a good idea, so if anyone is reading this, listen to Burke, he knows what's good.

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostSat Sep 17, 2011 9:05 am 
sarbar wrote:
Yeah...you don't save weight often with no-cook but there is the added bennies of no stove, fuel or cleanup ;-) Or having to carry extra waters. So it goes both ways smile.gif
I think for one night it would likely end up saving space and a little weight. More than that and it becomes a matter of preference or convenience. Thanks for the suggestions and links. We don't have a Trader Joe's or Bob around here ( and there are folks who would LOVE a Trader Joe's)

cc11

cc11
PostMon Oct 03, 2011 10:06 am 
The peanut butter balls sound amazing! I am going to try these!!! Thanks!

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 pm 
Burke M wrote:
The pulled pork and brisket at trader joes is surprisingly tasty
How did I not know this exists? Is it in the the other miscellaneous shelf-stable meals or in the freezer case?

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostTue Oct 04, 2011 10:02 am 
jenjen wrote:
Burke M wrote:
The pulled pork and brisket at trader joes is surprisingly tasty
How did I not know this exists? Is it in the the other miscellaneous shelf-stable meals or in the freezer case?
Its in the refrigerated case with the meats usually but exactly where I cant tell you because it varies from store to store. At the Ballard TJs theyre no the top shelf to the left of the pork products like bacon and to the right of the lunchmeats, on the top.