Forum Index > Trip Reports > Kelly Butte - 16 October 2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Paul M

Paul M
PostTue Oct 18, 2011 9:04 pm 
After an outstanding day above the low land clouds Saturday I found my self wanting some more of the same. So about noon on Sunday Joe B, Emma, and I headed down for a short hike up Kelly Butte off FR-70. There are plenty of directions to this peak on this site so I wont repeat them here. For those unfamiliar with this area there are a maze of roads and small peaks above 5,000 ft that make fun fall hikes. We left the low land cloud deck behind just outside of Greenwater and drove up to 4,400 ft in warm sunshine. We were able to drive to the actual trail head for this hike and I was a bit surprised that there was no one else up there on this nice fall day. In fact we only saw folks heading down the roads as we headed up and we saw no one or heard no shots from any hunters while we were in the area. The lookout was closed for the year and we encountered a brief period of clouds blow through while we were on top limiting our views. Once below the summit we were back in the sunshine. A few pics follow.
Kelly Butte
Kelly Butte
Upper trail
Upper trail
1955 BM
1955 BM
Joe at the lookout
Joe at the lookout
Joe and Emma
Joe and Emma
Lookout from north
Lookout from north