Forum Index > Gear Talk > Merino wool socks are back at Costco
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostFri Oct 21, 2011 7:49 pm 
There's also one in SLC. I don't know if SLC does mail order, but Dillon does. up.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bandanabraids
Plodding along

Bandanabraids
Plodding along
PostSat Oct 22, 2011 6:36 am 
I love my smartwool socks and if these are the same and less expensive that's a bonus in my book! Might just have to bum a Costco trip out of one of my friends who's a member biggrin.gif On another note, ExOfficio is pretty awesome. I would spend the little bit of money and get a few different brands of drawers and see which you like the best. That being said, my manager's husband is a missionary and travels to all kinds of different countries--he's slowly building up a travel wardrobe of ExOfficio stuff. The brand works very well for him. up.gif

"Do or do not. There is no try" --Yoda
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Oct 24, 2011 6:27 pm 
I was at the Costco in Edmonds yesterday (with my DIL who's a member) and the merino wool socks there were made by Wigwam. The women's were 3 pair for $15. I peeked at the men's and they were also made by Wigwam. They seem like nice socks, although not quite as smooth as Smartwool, and I bought 3 pair of the women's.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
shadetree

shadetree
PostMon Oct 24, 2011 7:18 pm 
the kirkland sock's are nicer. but they only get them for men.

mbtigger
Sherpa Da

mbtigger
Sherpa Da
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 8:44 am 
shadetree wrote:
the kirkland sock's are nicer. but they only get them for men.
In our store the Wigwam only came in womens and the Kirkland only came in mens. The mens seemed more insulating, but the womens had 18% silk and felt nicer to the touch. Hopefully you could find some small mens or XL womens if you feel the desire to cross-dress socks....

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 8:12 pm 
The Costco in Wenatchee has both men's and women's in the Kirkland brand, not too sure about the Wigwams. I have purchased several sets of the Wigwams, for me the fit isn't as good, and they wear out much quicker. I wear the Kirkland's almost every day of the year as my daily sock, for hiking, etc. and they hold up well.

GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostSun Oct 30, 2011 9:57 am 
Our Costco now has 4 kinds of wool/blend socks! Two are Wigwam and two are Kirkland. 1) Kirkland 4 pack for about $12. Nearly all wool. I've purchased many of these over the years. Great mid-weight sock. 2) New Kirkland 2 pack women's sock for $12. 84% wool. Long and thin. Looks like a liner sock except it's mainly wool? They just call it a "boot sock" 3) Wigwam 3 pack for about $12. Over 60% acrylic. Maybe 20% wool. Soft but I prefer more wool in the winter. 4) Wigwam women's sock with some silk maybe 20% and about 60% wool. Around $15.

HistoryMade253

HistoryMade253
PostMon Oct 31, 2011 12:56 pm 
Just bought the Kirkland 4 pack. Costco in Federal Way has them for $10.99! up.gif . As most of you have noticed they aren't quite as soft as the name brand stuff like Smartwool, but can't beat 4 pairs for $11... Anyone else notice the synthetic base layers they have? I don't recall the brand but I believe the tops came in a 3 pack for $24

Nothing ventured, nothing gained
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostTue Nov 01, 2011 9:37 am 
I wear a men's size 10 and bought the Kirkland sox that are for sizes 8-13 (quite a broad range, it seems). The sox are great, but I think tend towards being a little larger in that I get folds of the sox clumping up in my shoes. After washing and running through the dryer at regular heat, they fit much better, but if I were on the border, like size 8, I think the next size down might fit better.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Nov 01, 2011 9:46 am 
Good observation. I'm a 14 and I'm wearing the 8-13's right now, and they aren't too small.

mike

mike
PostTue Nov 01, 2011 12:00 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
...8-13 (quite a broad range, it seems)....but I think tend towards being a little larger
8-13? shakehead.gif Wishful thinking. They fit the center of the stated range only. I'm 11½ and they are too tight after washing.

socksy

socksy
PostThu Nov 10, 2011 3:17 pm 
I wish my Costco in Southern California carried those Kirkland merino wool socks. I would be all over that deal.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Nov 10, 2011 3:59 pm 
They have them up here, ehh up.gif up.gif hockeygrin.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 5:01 am 
The Costco I visited (Edmonds) had lighter weight women's socks (Kirkland) but they had a bulky toe seam, which I can't use thanks to my nasty hammertoes. I've worn the Wigwams for a couple of weeks now. They aren't quite as nice as the Smartwool but are quite comfortable. The price is certainly a lot better! I'd use them for everyday wear and for dayhiking, but not for multi-day backpacks. That's because the Wigwams do stretch more than Smartwool. After 2 days without washing, the Wigwams are downright baggy. I have this suspicion that not all Costco stores have the same socks!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Edgewood

Edgewood
PostFri Nov 11, 2011 12:49 pm 
Bellingham store has the $11 socks and I'm wearing a pair as I type. They also had merino wool long underwear that was resonable priced.