Forum Index > Gear Talk > accordian ensolite pads
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
packgoat

packgoat
PostWed May 02, 2012 4:33 pm 
I was surfing and found a site that makes it easier to transport a sleeping pad. Instead of rolling it up the author cuts the pad into desired width then alternates duct tape to make it into an accordion .. Duct tape is then placed over 2 corners with a hole punched through for cords on each end to lock it in place during the night. This has probably been discussed in the past but it might be useful for clods like me. Sixty years outdoors and I still find new items. Twenty years ago I was told about bicycle tubes cut in rings for fire starters. I guess the important thing keeping an open mind.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostWed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm 
The design is sold commercially as the Z-Lite Pad

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed May 02, 2012 5:18 pm 
Easier to buy a Thermarest ZLite! Almost simultaneously posted with the last one--great minds think alike! lol.gif

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Franco

Franco
PostWed May 02, 2012 8:32 pm 
I made a different type as a booster for the Neo Air.
It worked on snow but I prefer just using the Exped Downmat for that but some may like to try it. just some tiles made from a blue mat glued on a Tyvek base . Folded it is 2" high,3" wide and about 19" long.Just under 4 oz. Franco

EJ

EJ
PostWed May 02, 2012 10:13 pm 
I made one out of a blue foam pad I had, but I've never used it, as I have an old z-rest that seems to fold up a bit smaller and weights less. (I was originally going to take both of them to Alaska with me last spring, but I only had room for one.) It took some effort to create, but it was a fun project to do while I was watching TV. I used red duct tape, which made it even more fun.

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostWed May 02, 2012 11:06 pm 
Also just gave this a shot...honestly the bulk difference doesn't seem that big, but it's much quicker to collapse than it is to roll and now it won't be trying to roll up when I want it laid flat... I used a box cutter and only partially cut through the pad, then folded it cut-side-out and put a strip of duct tape over it. I started by cutting pieces off of my pad but found this to be faster, easier, and eliminates potential for gaps. Thanks for the tip packgoat!

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu May 03, 2012 6:28 am 
What color of Duck tape? smile.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
contour5

contour5
PostThu May 03, 2012 8:37 pm 
Wait- you're chopping up your sleeping pads and adding half a pound of duct tape? My thinking may be defective here, but I just can't get my head wrapped around the idea. I've seen what happens to duct tape on a hot day. The glue melts, the tape slides around, and then dirt sticks to the exposed glue surfaces. Are you guys using some sort of special tape? Solar shielding? Thermo-electric cooling system? perhaps motion-powered gossamer fans could be attached to the back of each knee, to provide a gentle breeze, thereby preventing liquification of the onerous adhesive compound... I reckon I'll just keep rolling my own, uh, sleeping pad.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat May 05, 2012 2:39 pm 
I've had no troubles with using duck tape during hot weather. Sunlight will degrade it after a while. I've used it to increase the diameter of regular pipe so I can use it instead of Yakima's expensive pipe racks, (I still am) I've made a saw bar sheath out of a sleeping pad and duck tape--it's still holding together after 5 years of heavy use, I insulated a cat carrier with duck tape and a sleeping pad. Perhaps it has to do with what color is used? Black was used on the roof racks and purple on the saw sheath.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities