Forum Index > Trip Reports > Westwind trail
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostMon Nov 14, 2011 7:36 am 
We were down in the Cape Disappointment State park this weekend to celebrate our 30 years of being together. I got dropped off at the Beards Hollow trailhead and walked the lovely mile up to North Head Lighthouse. The trail wanders through magnificent old growth sitka spruce/salal/sword fern forest. Usually, there are lots of salamanders but I saw none this trip. I was graced with a brief rainless period and was too hot in my rain gear. There is a new overlook hacked out of the forest to a small opening where one can see the ocean. Being a WTA person, I noticed that the sword ferns had been recently brushed, and that the tread needs a lot of work. There are many roots in the trail and the incline is too steep here and there. But, it is a great walk. I met the ranger at the lightkeepers house and we talked story for a while and he told me that eventually, they intend to get some work done on this trail but that the emphasis was now on the North Head trail down from the north head parking area to Mackenzie head lower in the park. WTA has its hands full with the trails here. rolleyes.gif If you find yourself in the area...check out this great short trail. Sorry, I forgot the camera.... shakehead.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostTue Nov 15, 2011 7:08 am 
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Nov 17, 2011 8:57 pm 
Wow, 30 years! Congrats! We've wandered a tiny bit in that area when the kids were babies. My parents used to have a cabin down there, but no longer. I'll have to get back to that little corner of the state again. It has a wild feel to it.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com