Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tiffany, Middle Tiffany, Rock, Setting Sun 9/29-30/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cartman

cartman
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 12:39 am 
I wanted to go up in the Pasaytens again after doing this trip and had a new partner for this one; Trevor W. We had various ideas for trips in the greater Pasayten area, but as I was coming down with what would turn out to be a two-week long bug, it was just as well we decided on some easy terrain as two day trips. Just as long as there were larches! Day 1: Tiffany, Middle Tiffany, Rock, Three Buttes Started out from the Tiffany Lake TH, 6760' on a cool but beautiful day after having car camped at Early Winters CG. Tiffany Lake is quite appealing:
Tiffany Lake
Tiffany Lake
Tiffany Lake
Tiffany Lake
The trail is in excellent shape all the way to Honeymoon Pass.
Honeymoon Pass
Honeymoon Pass
We turned upslope from the pass up Tiffany's NE ridge and had plenty of larches.
Larches
Larches
Tiffany NE Ridge and Rock Mtn
Tiffany NE Ridge and Rock Mtn
The higher we got, the better the views. Little Tiffany Lake is situated in a small basin with many larches. If coming in for an overnight, this is where I'd camp.
Little Tiffany Lake
Little Tiffany Lake
Little Tiffany Lake and larches
Little Tiffany Lake and larches
Rock Mtn and Middle Tiffany
Rock Mtn and Middle Tiffany
At the saddle between the NW and the SE (true) summit we turned left and wandered up meadow and rock to the summit of Tiffany, 8245'.
Tiffany summit
Tiffany summit
Tiffany benchmark
Tiffany benchmark
We sheltered out of the wind for a bit; then since Trevor wanted to tag Clark and I wasn't feeling up to the added mileage, we parted ways here. I hung out on the summit a while longer, then moseyed back down the larch ridge.
Larch
Larch
Larch and Rock Mtn
Larch and Rock Mtn
Larches and Middle Tiffany
Larches and Middle Tiffany
Being solo from here on was actually for the best, as I was under the weather and I could take my time on the other two peaks. From the ridge I could see my routes up Middle Tiffany and Rock Mtn.
Rock and larches
Rock and larches
Middle Tiffany and larches
Middle Tiffany and larches
Rock, Middle Tiffany
Rock, Middle Tiffany
the pass between
the pass between
From Honeymoon Pass I simply picked a reasonable line up toward Middle Tiffany. The larches in this area all seemed to be on easterly aspects, so Middle T had almost none up the west face. As is often the case, the first bump visible from below was not the actual summit; a little scrambling farther to the east brought me to the top of Middle Tiffany, 7967'.
Middle Tiffany summit
Middle Tiffany summit
Middle Tiffany obelisk
Middle Tiffany obelisk
Great views from here:
Northeast Ridge of Tiffany
Northeast Ridge of Tiffany
Rock from Middle Tiffany
Rock from Middle Tiffany
Pasaytens
Pasaytens
Didn't hang out long here, so partially reversed my route down then steered right toward the broad pass between Middle T and Rock.
pass closeup
pass closeup
At the pass I sat down for a good long rest. The area was full of these little birds, flying all around and chirping up a storm. Can anyone identify them?
What are these?
What are these?
Finally I continued up the broad east ridge of Rock Mtn. Tiffany had plenty of larches, Middle Tiffany plenty of evergreens, but Rock is mostly bare of trees. This made for a nice contrast between the three peaks. Easy walking up to the summit of Rock, 7971'.
Almost to Rock summit
Almost to Rock summit
Rock Mtn summit
Rock Mtn summit
Rock Mtn summit and Middle Tiffany
Rock Mtn summit and Middle Tiffany
Middle Tiffany from Rock Mtn summit
Middle Tiffany from Rock Mtn summit
Another fine respite here, and I was ready to wander back down to the trail. On the way are some pretty meadows and good views.
Meadows and Larches
Meadows and Larches
Tiffany coming down from Rock
Tiffany coming down from Rock
Getting back to the car ahead of Trevor, I left a note and decided to add Three Buttes as my bonus peak. Not a very interesting mostly wooded summit, but does have a very large meadow on the way.
Three Buttes
Three Buttes
Day 2: Setting Sun We spent the night again at Early Winters CG, then decided to head up into the McLeod area to see what we could do. From the map we thought we could head up Rd 52 then Rd 500 to get fairly close; however, Rd 500 was gated, so we turned around and took Rd 5225 to Rd 200 and parked at the lot for the Goat Mtn TH. Setting Sun it would be, then. We walked Rd 240 (long out of commission for vehicles) to its end then continued up the S-trending ridge.
Midday and McLeod
Midday and McLeod
Lots of blowdown here, but eventually we tired of that and went left into the woods, where we found quite pleasant forest and to our surprise an excellent trail heading up to the ridge. This trail is not shown on any maps. We traversed easy terrain on the W to bypass Pt 7181, then gained the ridge towards Pt 7125. Some larches here, but the area does not seem to have a large number of golden trees. Some interesting cloud action, though:
Clouds
Clouds
More Clouds
More Clouds
We bypassed Pt 7125 on its NE aspect on a bootpath, then connected to the S ridge of Setting Sun. Open woods led to the final slope to the summit, 7259'.
Summit of Setting Sun
Summit of Setting Sun
Setting Sun summit shot
Setting Sun summit shot
Views are quite good from here.
McLeod and Midday
McLeod and Midday
Pasayten Pk and Buckskin Ridge
Pasayten Pk and Buckskin Ridge
More Pasaytens
More Pasaytens
Trevor decided to try for Midday and possibly McLeod, so I walked back taking my time. However, nature decided to not take its time as the earlier sun disappeared as I came down the blowdown ridge. By the time I was approaching the ridge above the old road, I could see a rather serious wall of rain approaching from the west. Deciding to walk the top of the ridge above Rd 240, I picked up my pace but it was clear I wasn't going to make it without getting rained on. Luckily, the squall had spent most of its energy and I only got light rain. By the time I dropped down to the old road the sun was coming back out, and it was a pleasant walk back to the car. Trevor appeared about an hour later, having bailed after seeing the change in the weather. All in all, a great couple of days with a fine partner. I thoroughly enjoyed both areas, and was especially pleased to have a good time even though sick. Tiffany, etc: 8 mi, 3500' gain Setting Sun: 12 mi, 2800' gain Eric J. Johnson

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 7:08 am 
Those are some great views! Sorry you were under the weather. But you got some good mileage in anyway. up.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
HitTheTrail

HitTheTrail
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 6:10 pm 
Nice photos of a great area that sees few hikers (except the kind that pack a rifle in the fall). I joined Wildernessed and Steve up Middle T. and Rock almost exactly one year ago. It was my first time there and I loved the open beauty of the area. up.gif up.gif

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 6:13 pm 
Nice trail report... No a bird expert, but birds kind of look a little like a pale version of evening grosbeaks... I know we had hundreds of them fly thru here this spring on the way to the hills...... Next time, wave when you go by our house on the East Chewack Rd to Boulder Creek... biggrin.gif

Happy Trails... pasayten
raising3hikers

raising3hikers
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 7:05 pm 
Thanks for posting this, looks like a good trip. Nice pics, too

Eric Eames
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Oct 25, 2011 9:17 pm 
Ah, so there are actually larches lower in the basins by the Tiffanies. Another one for sometime in the future.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
iron

iron
PostWed Oct 26, 2011 5:12 pm 
are you now >500 peaks?

hikermike

hikermike
PostWed Oct 26, 2011 6:10 pm 
Birds look like Cedar Waxwings....always so prim and metromale like and usually in groups.

cartman

cartman
PostWed Oct 26, 2011 6:45 pm 
Putz-in-Boots wrote:
Bird appears to be a waxwing.
Hmm, that doesn't look like what I saw. These were about robin-sized and essentially appeared to be one color.

pasayten
Class of 65...

pasayten
Class of 65...
PostWed Oct 26, 2011 7:29 pm 
Well, that dang bird is one of the 255 on this list... biggrin.gif http://www.methowconservancy.org/course/methow_birds.pdf

Happy Trails... pasayten
Davidą
Token Canadian

Davidą
Token Canadian
PostWed Oct 26, 2011 7:51 pm 
cartman wrote:
Hmm, that doesn't look like what I saw. These were about robin-sized and essentially appeared to be one color.
The look of individual birds can very greatly due to sex, maturity and by seasonal plumages. They are indeed Waxwings - here is another example with more modest plumage.

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm