snoqpass
PostThu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 am 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schroder

Schroder
PostThu Nov 03, 2011 11:07 am 
huey wrote:
There is airplane wreckage on the south side of Mt. Pilchuck
I've never heard of that one before Steve. Any details? John Taylor used to talk about a large old military wreck on Olo or Dahlberg Mountain out of Granite. Do you remember anything about that one?

huey

huey
PostThu Nov 03, 2011 11:45 am 
Its been several years since I last had eyes on. As I recall it is in the western most fork of Boulder Creek approximately 3600' plus or minus 400'. Appears as a complete silhouette of a single engine fixed wing. Probably of tube and fabric construction because it appears completed flattened likely by snow load. Probably too late to spot it this year, but if & when opportunity presents will get firm fix. Don't recall anything on Olo or Dahlberg.

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostThu Nov 03, 2011 11:51 am 
Riverside Baker wrote:
The small plane crash near Gunn Peak (locally known as Wing Peak) happened in the 60's. From http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&file_id=2047
Quote:
Wing Luke and two others died on May 16, 1965, while returning home from a fishing trip in north central Washington. He was 40 years old. The small plane he was in crashed in the Cascade Mountains. It was three and a half years before the wreckage was found and recovered.
The Seattle Asian Art Museum is named after the Seattle City Councilman.
I stumbled through that site, by accident, after my e-bivy on Merchant a couple years ago. I was kinda spooked when I realized it.

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Nov 03, 2011 4:53 pm 
I found parts to a plane wreckage in the Cascade mountain above West Fork of Miller River near Smith Lake

Schroder

Schroder
PostFri Nov 04, 2011 1:11 pm 
From the map posted above, Registration: N8131F Location: Near Lynnwood, WA Date: January 30, 1972 Aircraft type: Cessna 150F This one nosed into the pavement right in front of my car. If I had been one second ahead of schedule I would have been dead too. Registration: N71972 Location: Near Palmer, WA Date: January 5, 1975 Aircraft type: Cessna TU206D This was an air ambulance with 5 or 6 people on board that iced over and went down in heavy timber above Palmer. There were 2 survivors that were extricated a couple of days after the crash - I was on the rescue/recovery.

Jim Mighell
Fish Rsrch Biologist

Jim Mighell
Fish Rsrch Biologist
PostFri Nov 04, 2011 4:15 pm 
I found the wreckage on south side of Pilchuck in the mid-eighties, I believe, near Bathtub lakes - found a tight ball of dried flesh and hair about 1.5 ft in diameter, and reported it to authorities (Cessna I think); also was driving down So. Tacoma Way about 1953-1955 when a large plane came down a block away (heading for McChord); drove to the site in a small woods to see if I could help, but nothing but burning wreckage and body parts, including a small baby - made me sick, so left the area.

Tacoma native; gave up hockey career for Fisheries Biology; 50 yrs of planting high lakes with trout, including research therein; mainly, stock comparisons, hybridization, and population dynamics.
Andy D.

Andy D.
PostFri Nov 04, 2011 6:08 pm 
huey wrote:
There is airplane wreckage on the south side of Mt. Pilchuck and wreckage on the SE slope of Devils Peak. Don't recall ever hearing the stories of either of those.
Ran across that one by accident on Devils Pk back in August. I was wondering what it was from. BIG engine! Serial #'s were still legible on it.
Devils Pk wreck
Devils Pk wreck

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 04, 2011 6:26 pm 
Nine cylinders. How many banks of cylinders? Maybe an R2800? Two thousand horse Pratt.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostFri Nov 04, 2011 6:49 pm 
How about the airplane engine left in the creek above Lake Dorothy on the way to Gold Lake

Asshat Redux
Dope

Asshat Redux
Dope
PostFri Nov 04, 2011 7:22 pm 
Sweet!

SingleShot

SingleShot
PostFri Nov 04, 2011 8:39 pm 
Three more military wrecks: A Whidbey Island PBY went down on Mt. Baker around 1943 and located about 10 years ago. Hiker found the dog tags of the crew. Another PBY went down on the east side of Jump Off Ridge, Simms Lake/Trout Creek area near Index in the 50's. Had a Navy payroll on board and the roads, surrounding area were closed off till it was found. Lastly, a military trainer crash landed, tail first, just south of Boner Lake/Money Creek. Late 40's or early 50's. Aircraft pretty well flattened but still, mostly, in one piece.

WDFW Volunteer Award recipient
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 04, 2011 8:43 pm 
Tom D and Dante found the BT-13 crash near Boner a few years ago.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Frank

Frank
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 am 
There is a wreck near Wayhyt lake near the head of Bolder creek a tributary of the Beckler river. Bob Herman talks about it in his book Snohomish My Beloved County.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 10:18 am 
That would be Wayhut(Boulder Lake) or Oyhut Lake