Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Funding issues: Wash. State Parks vs BC Provincial Parks
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hiker1

hiker1
PostWed Jul 11, 2012 9:05 pm 
Various threads here have focussed on the serious problems Wash. SPs have been having, and how to solve them. For comparison, the most recent newsletter from Friends of Cypress Provincial Park (near Vancouver) includes an item about the number of park rangers:
Quote:
PARK RANGERS – STILL AN ENDANGERED SPECIES We have appreciated Senior Park Ranger Rob Wilson’s dedication to his job over many years and feel fortunate that he continues to work in Lower Mainland parks, including Cypress. We will miss Ranger Mark Grist, who is working in Garibaldi Park this summer, but we welcome his replacement, Jeff Young. When you see Park Rangers at Cypress, remember how few there are to look after our parks. In 2011 it was reported that there were only 10 fulltime park rangers and 87 seasonal rangers for 1000 parks and protected areas, covering 13 million hectares. It is unlikely that staffing has increased significantly, if at all, in 2012.
Funding for BC Parks rangers and the park system in general has eroded year after year. Note that BC has 10 times the number of parks compared to Wash. and fewer rangers than Wash. parks.

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostSat Jul 14, 2012 9:58 am 
I wonder if their seasonal rangers are commissioned. Washington State Parks is not having issues with funding. They are simply right on track with their plan to reduce the number of law enforcement rangers, something the should have done years ago.

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
mike

mike
PostSat Jul 14, 2012 11:50 am 
Ranger Smith wrote:
Washington State Parks is not having issues with funding.
confused.gif

hiker1

hiker1
PostTue Aug 07, 2012 2:03 pm 

falling leaves / hide the path / so quietly ~John Bailey, "Autumn," a haiku year, 2001, as posted on oldgreypoet.com