Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Dec 01, 2011 10:31 pm 
Daryl wrote:
Smokey point costco has a rep from Goal Zero with several different solar panel/battery set ups. I grabbed a Nomad 7 for $60. It's $80 at REI http://www.goalzero.com/shop/p/11/Nomad-7-Solar-Panel/3:1/
Here's what you really want.
80 hours to make
80 hours to make
2 hours to charge your phone
2 hours to charge your phone
At the low, low price of only $200 dollars!
At the low, low price of only $200 dollars!
No idea what it weighs, but I'd be happy to carry it if the girlfriend will wear it while my satphone charges. devilsmile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
reststep

reststep
PostTue Dec 20, 2011 8:48 pm 
They are selling eneloop rechargable batteries at the Silverdale Costco. This is the batteries only without the charger. They have a package with 10 double A's and a package with 12 triple A's. The price on each is $19.99 and the item number is 595269. This seems like a good deal compared to what I paid recently at Amazon anyway.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 11:32 am 
Thanks for the battery heads-up. I need some of those eneloops for my flashlights. My GF needs them because she uses her flashlight about once every three months, and normal NiMH lose their power quickly. I need them more for the rechargeable thing, not the storage thing, so I was looking at some more powerful batteries, 1,000 m/ah, instead of the 800 these have. But I think the long term storage ability of these batteries outweighs the lesser overall power. It will be nice to have two sets of four, one in the flashlight, one in the drawer, and when they need charging, just swap pairs, knowing the pair from the drawer will be at least 80-90% charged, even if it's been months and months since the last swap. My flashlight, the Black Diamond Storm, is awesome in almost every way, regulated output, bright, adjustable, different useful modes, clean white light, uses four aaa batteries not the usual three, but it has one drawback. The light is only in regulated mode for the first 1/3 to 1/2 of battery power (depending on battery type). Then it switches to unregulated mode, and is no longer as bright, but even worse, it is no longer adjustable. So I can't turn down the light to read at night in the tent, etc. I can get through a three-day backpacking trip in regulated mode, but not another trip. That means I'd be using a new set of alkaline batteries for every trip. huh.gif But with these batteries, with their guarantee of no "memory", even if recharged from partial discharge repeatedly, I can swap them out after every trip.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 11:43 am 
The rayovac non-rechargeable alkaline are a heck of a deal. I needed a bunch of AA and AAA and they had a combo pack with 24 AA and 24 AAA for $8. I think it's cheaper than the Costco brand.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 12:00 pm 
Slug, I noticed the same shortcoming on my bud's BD Storm.
Slugman wrote:
But I think the long term storage ability of [Eneloops] outweighs the lesser overall power.
If you are talking about using them for LED headlamps/flashlights, GPS and other low output uses, that is confirmed by my experience, which includes 5+ years with non-Eneloop NiMH followed by 2 years with Eneloops. OTOH, if you don't mind charging a day or two before each trip, the non-Eneloops work great.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 1:03 pm 
Good to know, Steve, thanks. Tom, I don't mind the expense of the alkalines in my BD Storm, but it offends my sense efficiency. I can't just use 1/3 of the power in a battery, then toss it in the trash, even if I got them for free. With the rechargeables, I use the 1/3, then recharge, no garbage generated. I think I'll get one set of the 1,000 m/ah batteries, since the extra power will come in handy to keep that light regulated, and I'll still have the eneloops in the drawer ready to go when needed. Plus I have a back-up light, my old Petzl Tikka XP, and my GF has an XP also, so a set of eneloops will reside in each of those. We use a lot of flashlights in my house, what with the dog needing nighttime walks, and me spending at least 100 hours per winter in Discovery park in the dark. Like tonight, from 7 pm to about 9 or 10 pm. hmmm.gif I also use one to read in bed at night, less disturbing to the GF than a bedside lamp.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 1:12 pm 
I have a bunch of those eneloops. The problem is when I need to supply batteries in all those LED candles, snow globes, and other Christmas stuff I've accumulated over the years from Costco there isn't enough to go around. Last night that pack of 48 RayOVac AA and AAA batteries went pretty quick.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 1:28 pm 
I get that. agree.gif I have plenty of Costco aa and aa alkalines around as well. Remote controls, Christmas gifts that say batteries not included, emergency flashlight for the glove compartment, the disposable alkaline still has plenty of uses. It just occurred to me: the eneloops would be good for TV remote controls, and things like my Microsoft mouse, unlike the standard NiMH, which die out too quickly because of time, not drain.

DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 3:14 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Plus I have a back-up light, my old Petzl Tikka XP, and my GF has an XP also, so a set of eneloops will reside in each of those.
I'm not a fan of Tikka down.gif but I can report that Myo XP + one set of Eneloops is a great combo for a weeklong trip, even with a few alpine start days using high and medium settings. I'll be skiing late tonight with my Eneloop-equipped Myo XP. up.gif I use my old NiMH cells for remote controls. When a remote starts working slow, I charge all cells in all remotes, roughly every two or three months. Some of them are 8 years old and still working fine. We use alkys only for avy transceivers, and that's only because the manufacture warns against NiMH cells because the battery life indicator is programmed only for alkys. I surmise avy beacons aren't programmed for NiMH cells because they have a flat voltage curve followed by a sudden current drop, and thus it's difficult for a chip to distinguish a 90% charged cell vs. a 20% charged cell.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 4:33 pm 
See, I think a remote control battery should last for years, not months. My Microsoft mouse (the best mouse ever, IMO) is still on the original batteries, and I've had it for over nine months, and I don't even bother to turn it off when not in use. Hmm, my 2 XP's will use six batteries, my BD Storm four, that leaves two extra. They will go in my Fenix EO1's, my emergency back-up light (one battery each). One ounce, 4 lumens, regulated, just right for tent reading. The staying power of the eneloops will be essential to a back-up light, if I want it to work when I need it. I have used alkalines up until now.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 5:34 pm 
mike

mike
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 6:02 pm 
I never put new batteries in my mouse (Anywhere MX up.gif up.gif ) or any low drain gadget. e.g. batteries I pull from my gps or a flashlight will run my mouse or remote for at least a month or two.

NWtrax

NWtrax
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 11:03 pm 
they had merino wool men's ls tops last time i was in there for $25. looked and felt nice.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 11:29 pm 
I'm using a Costco product right now: Smirnoff Blueberry and Lemonade. biggrin.gif

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Dec 22, 2011 10:30 pm 
Navy salad wrote:
This just in: $20 off on Yukon Charlie aluminum snowshoes + poles kit
YC has gaiters there too. shakehead.gif The balaclava ($10) and ski gauntlets ($16) were nice enough to pick up.