Forum Index > Gear Talk > More Costco stuff
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 5:44 am 
The merino wool shirts in the Canadian Costco are 100% if anyone is ever shopping up here. I stock up on them every time I see them. They say "made in Canada".

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
DIYSteve
seeking hygge

DIYSteve
seeking hygge
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 9:25 am 
mike wrote:
In my experience they tend to run small. Wish they had XL.
Navy salad wrote:
Last time I bought a batch of the Costco merino sox, they ran large.
My latest purchase (one month ago) fit fine out of the package but shrank a bit with the first wash, and are now running on the small side. I'm okay with it cuz I like snug sox/no folds, although they are a bit of work to put on my feet.

mike

mike
PostTue Oct 01, 2013 9:35 am 
BigSteve wrote:
fit fine out of the package but shrank a bit with the first wash, and are now running on the small side.
That was my experience too. Maybe my mistake was to wash them wink.gif

reststep

reststep
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 5:54 pm 
They have the sports utility shovels at the Costco in Silverdale. The price today was 15.99 for two of them. The item number is 630882. You might not want to use them for camping after reading the below linked thread but maybe it would be a good item to have in the car. Link to failed shovel thread

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
ranger rock
One of the boys

ranger rock
One of the boys
PostMon Nov 04, 2013 6:26 pm 
I got a nice Costco brand kids puffer from Goodwill for $1.29 yesterday..

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostThu Feb 27, 2014 2:26 pm 
Saw carbon fiber hiking poles with flip locks at Woodinville Costco for $30 today (2/27/14)

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostFri Feb 28, 2014 1:33 pm 
I saw those too. Unfortunately, that's about all you can do as the packaging prevents you from testing them out and getting a feel for their weight. It would be nice to be able to test the locking mechanism at least.

Navy salad

Navy salad
PostFri Feb 28, 2014 1:41 pm 
Agreed. We need a guinea pig to take the plunge!

sledndog

sledndog
PostFri Feb 28, 2014 5:10 pm 
George Johnson wrote:
the packaging prevents you from testing them out and getting a feel for their weight.
I saw these last weekend. too. I thought "oh cool, carbon fiber for $30?" So I picked them up to look and was surprised at how heavy they "seemed". Usually when I think carbon fiber, I think "something incredibly light" but my first impression was they were no lighter than my aluminum BD Contours and in fact, felt like maybe they could actually be heavier. Perhaps I simply have a laymen misconception of what carbon fiber is all about, but I don't think so.

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostSat Mar 01, 2014 9:58 am 
Several years ago my wife got me the aluminum versions, and they are the heaviest poles I've used. Then again, I haven't been all that satisfied with lighter weight poles I've had. They do include several basket sizes and different types of tip attachments, which adds to the packaged weight. They are also quite sturdy and well made and I've had zero problems so far. I usually use one, so that cuts the weight in half. wink.gif I may pick up a pair of these new ones so I can evaluate the locking mechanism, as that would be a nice upgrade if it works well and is durable. Less weight would be nice too...

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostSat Mar 01, 2014 6:54 pm 
So I decided to pick up a pair since I'll be needing more for an upcoming snowshoe with the kids. Here's a bit more information and some initial impressions: Price: 29.99 + 2.31 tax = $32.30 Weight/pole: 7.4 oz w/o any baskets or tip attachments Includes: 2 poles (14.8 oz/pair) 1 pair snow baskets (1.7 oz/pair) 1 pair "sand/dirt" baskets (0.7 oz/pair) 1 pair rubber "foot" tip attachments (2.6 oz/pair) 1 pair small rubber tip attachments (0.9 oz/pair) 1 clip to attach poles together (0.1 oz) 3 sections Minimum length: 27.25" Maximum length: 54.25" I also made it to REI to pick up some other things and got a chance to look at other trekking poles for comparison. They had an REI branded set that were very similar, but priced $129.00 and had the same labeled weight, but I am more impressed with the fit and finish and flick-lock mechanism of these Costco poles. They also include more accessories. The mechanism is very similar to but a bit more substantial than the Leki pairs I saw, and probably better than all but the higher end Black Diamond poles. By far better than the lousy ones I've seen at Walmart. My other aluminum pair from Costco that I mentioned earlier weigh 9.6 oz/pole without any baskets or tip attachments, but they include an internal spring mechanism for a shock absorber. Most of the other aluminum poles with flick-locks I saw at REI have what I perceive as lesser locking mechanisms. I think it could be improved, but it's probably good enough and better than the average of what I just saw. So my initial impression, which is strongly influenced by the price and Costco's return policy, is 2 thumbs up up.gif up.gif If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Mar 01, 2014 7:06 pm 
They had a pair unwrapped at Issaquah Costco and I felt them and I agree with the above post. I did not get them because I am not that fond of carbon poles and have BD Contours which are heavier but pretty much unbreakable.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostSat Mar 01, 2014 8:36 pm 
I forgot to add, the package says "Burn up to 45% more calories". I'm not quite sure how that works, and I guess one pole will just be up to 22.5%, but I'll take what I can get. biggrin.gif

I'm Pysht

I'm Pysht
PostSun Mar 02, 2014 12:04 pm 
I used one on my 3+ mile walk around the neighborhood with the dog last night. It felt quite solid and I thought I could notice the weight difference. Most notable though was the lack of any noise (I used one of the rubber tips) like you can have with some aluminum poles. Now I can sneak up on people...

PTLateHiker

PTLateHiker
PostWed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 am 
I bought carbon poles from Costco a couple of years ago. Took 'em back after everything but the handle in my hand came off in sticky mud near Humes Ranch in the Olympics.

"back at camp the mountain peak still in my legs" - Yu Chang