Forum Index > Gear Talk > More Costco stuff
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
uww

uww
PostTue Oct 20, 2020 10:39 pm 
Schenk wrote:
And I wish people would stop feeling entitled to buy something once and then keep trading it in for new stuff. People who do this (and even brag about it) are quite low on the "quality" scale. mad.gif
I used to feel this way strongly- until I became a retailer. If your business encourages people to believe "the customer is always right" you should get what you deserve and then some for the entitlement you have brought on the world.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Oct 28, 2020 10:24 pm 
Slugman wrote:
You wish for other people’s feelings to change? That’s bizarre. I would like to know how it hurts small local businesses when someone shops at Costco then returns the item to Costco instead of buying another one from Costco.
Look, what you have to understand here is that these small businesses make different products. Ya see, here's the deal: people need to shop around. Listen, allow me to uxplain: what you have to understand is they can just buy one from everywhere.

reststep

reststep
PostWed Nov 04, 2020 11:41 am 
Selling really nice table tennis tables at the Silverdale Costco.

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 10:03 am 
Slugman wrote:
You wish for other people’s feelings to change? That’s bizarre. I would like to know how it hurts small local businesses when someone shops at Costco then returns the item to Costco instead of buying another one from Costco.
What is bizarre is that you even made these comments. lol.gif I don't have the desire to educate you on basic economics. Yes, I wish people would stop feeling entitled to pass their costs in life along to others, it is bizarre that you can't understand that. And, nice try, but in my world you pay for, and learn from, your own stupid mistakes. You don't pass the cost on to others, or profit from them, or be rewarded for them. If someone abuses something, misuses, or mistreats something and it breaks/goes bad/is ruined...too bad junior. That should be on them and not passed on to the rest of us.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 10:19 am 
uww wrote:
I used to feel this way strongly- until I became a retailer. If your business encourages people to believe "the customer is always right" you should get what you deserve and then some for the entitlement you have brought on the world.
The problem is that the retail environment has changed dramatically in the last decade or so. And even more dramatically in the last year. Many times the small retailer has no option in the matter. Walmart, Amazon, and other online giants don't own the vast majority of the items they sell, they just provide the selling platform. Many small retailers have had to sell on the Big Box websites just to keep numbers up. When someone returns a broken/abused item it isn't the Big Box that eats it, it is the small retailer who fulfilled the order that absorbs the loss. Over time this has had the effect of driving down margins to the point that many of those small retailers have had to shut down their businesses. Not just shut down their Amazon or Walmart storefront, but the brick and mortar operation in their community too. Anyone can see that this is not sustainable.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Nov 06, 2020 12:04 pm 
Schenk wrote:
Walmart, Amazon, and other online giants don't own the vast majority of the items they sell, they just provide the selling platform. Many small retailers have had to sell on the Big Box websites just to keep numbers up. When someone returns a broken/abused item it isn't the Big Box that eats it, it is the small retailer who fulfilled the order that absorbs the loss.
We are talking about Costco in this thread. AFAIK, Costco does not operate like that. For the most part, Costco does most of it's business at it's brick and mortar stores. Costco also has a very different approach to the items it chooses to sell. Anyway, we seem to be mixing a few things up in this discussion: return policy, online sales, and small-town retail monopoly. IMO, these are separate and have different solutions in regards to small retailers. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 5:09 pm 
You're right Rumi, I sidetracked/hijacked with a rant about people who abuse return policies. My mistake.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostMon Nov 09, 2020 6:48 pm 
I’ve never returned anything at Costco, though I have shopped there for many years.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 9:37 pm 
I guess I should post this in the food forum but this is the Costco thread so ... I found a 16 oz bag of small Landjaegers by Bavarian Meats at my local Costco in Sequim for $13.99. This is a very good price for these. The 'best by" date was in October 2022. These are supposedly shelf stable so great for taking on the trail. I love 'em! Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."

Malachai Constant
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 26, 2022 11:18 pm 
I posted about the landjeager months ago they are back again, a Cascade Climbers mainstay.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn

Anne Elk, Opus, Bronco, RumiDude
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Sep 03, 2023 8:58 pm 
These are $319 on Amazon.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Oct 21, 2023 8:34 pm 
Picked up a pair of lightweight gloves at Costco tonight for $10.99, IIRC. I am always misplacing gloves and so an inexpensive pair like these are just the thing. They are starting to get out their winter clothing. Rumi

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSat Oct 21, 2023 8:44 pm 
The Costco lightly breaded chicken breasts chunks are excellent. Throw them in the air fryer for 10 minutes. Better than fast food. https://www.reddit.com/r/Costco/comments/16donfn/kirkland_lightly_breaded_chicken_breast_chunks/

pjhorst
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Oct 24, 2023 7:38 pm 
Saw this at the Issaquah Costco. It appears to be a knockoff Ooni Volt indoor pizza oven, at a fraction of the price. They also have it online at costco.com. We really enjoy our Breville indoor pizza oven, although we paid twice as much, ha. One nice thing is this one has an interior light so you can see the pizza while it's cooking without opening the door. You can buy outdoor ovens cheaper, but can't really beat the convenience of electric. We put ours in the garage because it can get a little smoky inside, and enjoy delicious low carb pizza rain or shine.
$399.99
$399.99
Low carb pizza made with farm girl pizza pro mix
Low carb pizza made with farm girl pizza pro mix

Anne Elk, zimmertr
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Oct 25, 2023 1:14 pm 
A friend added me to his Costco membership even though I really don't like the place. I returned the first item that I purchased, a $38 case of cat food. The cats ate about 6 cans and would not eat any more. I don't like having to buy a large quantity of an item not knowing if I or the pets will like it. I did just hear that their whole cooked chickens are $5? I paid $10 at a small retail grocer. I know I will like the chicken, lol. It's kind of funny really that he likes Costco so much, he is a single guy and get's 15% off ar Fred Meyer where he works. As I stated in the REI sucks thread, I won't pay for a membership for any retailer as I like to shop around...a lot.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.