Forum Index > Gear Talk > Columbia Omni-Heat base layer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostFri Feb 23, 2024 8:42 pm 
Anyone try the Omni-Heat base layers by Columbia? They're supposed to be very warm. I'm thinking of using it as a base layer rather than the Patagonia Capilene midweights that I've used for years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSat Feb 24, 2024 7:40 pm 
I have one and really like it. Both warm and very comfortable.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 25, 2024 11:26 am 
Mountain Hardware Air Mesh is really good as a base layer if you're not going to be sweating a lot. Arc'teryx Rho Lightweight is excellent in every condition I've had it in.

Jumble Jowls

Jumble Jowls
PostWed Feb 28, 2024 5:27 pm 
After researching this a little more, I'll try using an Omni-Heat base layer with my trusty Patagonia capelines. Probably put the capeline layer on first, and the Columbia over it. But it's not going to replace anything, no way. Patagonia capeline is good stuff. I'd ordinarily never look at Columbia gear, but saw that the Odysseus moon lander was using Omni-Heat material as a thermal shield. "Columbia is testing its Omni-Heat thermal reflective technology on the lander's A2 closeout panel to protect Nova-C's cryogenic propulsion tank." "Originally inspired by space blankets on Apollo missions, the same Omni-Heat Infinity technology found in jackets on Earth will help protect the Nova-C lunar lander from the extreme temperatures of outer space," Intuitive Machines wrote in a mission overview. "Thermal modeling revealed that Omni-Heat Infinity provides a benefit for heat reflection when used as a panel covering, and that is where the technology will be used on Nova-C. Intuitive Machines engineers incorporated Columbia’s Omni-Heat Infinity thermal reflective technology onto NovaC’s A2 closeout panel to protect Nova-C’s cryogenic propulsion tank." So it's probably good, but nothing moonshaking.