Forum Index > Trip Reports > Baring It All On Bare Mtn & Birthday Hike 11-06-11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 12:13 am 
It's time to get back out on the trail. After a couple of months of fun family events (youngest daughter's wedding/oldest daughter induction into her college Hall of Fame), the driver was ready to hit the road again. Since the "big" kids were heading off to do something monumental - and when Tom S. said something about leaving from home at 4:15 a.m. for a 7:00 a.m. trailhead start, I (correctly) decided that Tom S., Iron et al would do just fine on their own! agree.gif Many of the "regulars" were otherwise unavailable - Barb E, Opus, Jim K, and Middle E - and then Snowdog was wrapped up in her new Truck/Camper - so Darryl, Gus and I headed out for a venture up Bare Mountain. Great plan in theory, but there was a reason why I hadn't seen any recent trip reports from this area. The last time I was out the No. Fork of the Snoqualmie was with Schmidt-altibabe and Yukon in a most "memorable" shakehead.gif little trek Dog Mountain Adventures. We had no problem driving all of the way to the end of FS 57. However, as we were heading out the North Fork Road on Sunday, we happened upon this . . .
Of course they don't me ME!
Of course they don't me ME!
Surely they can't mean the road to the Bare Mtn. trailhead! clown.gif Hmmm, it started to look a little ominous
Hmmm - doubtful they will get it reopened in a week!
Hmmm - doubtful they will get it reopened in a week!
We passed several trucks with the hunting crowd out in full force. We waved and smiled and continued on our merry way, smugly thinking of the trail ahead of us. Uh-oh, I guess they did mean EVERYONE!
Oh, I guess they do mean me!  Dang.  4 miles to the trailhead from here!
Oh, I guess they do mean me! Dang. 4 miles to the trailhead from here!
Now what? We knew it was a long road "hike" ahead . . . . plus, it wasn't exactly balmy out!
Brrrr.  Why get out of the car?
Brrrr. Why get out of the car?
Oh well, we decided to set out and just go for a walk and see how far we got - maybe we would find some mushrooms. Barely a 1/4 mile from the car, we quickly saw the root of the problem!
The reason the road is closed!  There's a 15' deep 10' wide "ditch" beyond those tree stumps!
The reason the road is closed! There's a 15' deep 10' wide "ditch" beyond those tree stumps!
Indeed, no one was going to get across this and it's unlikely that it will be repaired in the next week. If you want to head to Bare Mtn, I would strongly advise that you check the road conditions AND take a bicycle to travel those 4 miles that are mostly uphill to the trailhead! It was a pleasant enough walk.
Lennox Creek
Lennox Creek
27 degrees?  So what - that doesn't stop dork dog . . .
27 degrees? So what - that doesn't stop dork dog . . .
We finally reached the Bare Mtn. trailhead - to say there was solitude is an understatement! It was only 10:30 a.m., so we figured, what the heck, might as well go for it - or at least get as far as we were willing to go, since we still had the 4 mile walk back. rolleyes.gif hmmm.gif Knowing that few had probably ventured up this way recently (don't know when the road was blown out), we figured there probably would be quite a bit of underbrush and perhaps blowdown. But first, there was the matter of attending to the matter at hand . . . I mean, after all, this was BARE mountain . . . and while Matt does his skinny dipping in lakes, I figured, I should at least . . . well, bare all! So here goes . . .
Bare Mtn trailhead
Bare Mtn trailhead
Getting ready to bare it all . . .
It gets better . . .
It gets better . . .
Oh darn, I just ran out of film . . . . well, the story goes on. We continued up the trail, making our way over/around/through about 4 different blow downs, but they were easily negotiated - following the old road bed to where you hit the first Bear Creek crossing. It's pretty tame - although today, the log crossing was a little slick with ice. I would imagine, however, that during spring run-off, this crossing could be quite sporting! At least the larger log does have a hand line!
Bear Creek Crossing - hand line located next to big log - we crossed the two smaller logs parallel to each other
Bear Creek Crossing - hand line located next to big log - we crossed the two smaller logs parallel to each other
The two logs we crossed - weren't as icy.  Hand line obvious on the big log to the left
The two logs we crossed - weren't as icy. Hand line obvious on the big log to the left
What?  What are you waiting for?  Easy crossing.
What? What are you waiting for? Easy crossing.
Bear Creek
Bear Creek
Beautiful Bear Creek falls
Beautiful Bear Creek falls
A little farther on, there is actually an official creek crossing with a wooden bridge.
Respectable creek crossing
Respectable creek crossing
We continued on through the forest to where it opens up into quite a meadow. This day, it was covered in frosty brush that covered the trail, but it's well-enough worn that we didn't have difficulty following it up the valley. Here we get our first vistas of the direction we would eventually head.
First open view of the route towards Bare Mtn.
First open view of the route towards Bare Mtn.
The only really tricky part of this hike is making sure you turn uphill at the right spot. Maybe under normal conditions it's not so difficult, but with all of the overgrown brush, it was a bit obscure. We looked at the Alpine Lakes book that has a trip description and Harvey clearly says that if after you cross through the meadow you reach a forest, you've gone about 1/4 mile too far. Fortunately, we did spot what looked to be a route uphill and took it, because the forest was just ahead of us. We attempted to mark it somewhat, but I'm sure Angry Hiker will come along and kick over our feeble attempt (either that, or the snow will soon cover it up).
Here is the trail split heading up towards the 56 switchbacks ahead
Here is the trail split heading up towards the 56 switchbacks ahead
Our feeble attempt at a cairn marking the route up
Our feeble attempt at a cairn marking the route up
So up we headed. Well, my friends, it will take you 56 switchbacks to the summit of Bare. You will end up going about 2 miles to cover the actual 1 mile to the summit. Not particularly steep, but a constant back and forth. Quite a pleasant trip this day - it was lovely, sunny and no wind. We zig-zagged our way up to what we thought was the ridge, but then we spotted the real summit. Not much snow - except on the trail. But at the summit, there was a fair amount of snow and it was chilly - but wonderful views. Well worth the 4 mile road walk in and the 4 1/2 miles up the trail - and, needless-to-say, there was NO ONE around!
Looking down to Paradise Lakes - one is frozen completely over
Looking down to Paradise Lakes - one is frozen completely over
Finally, the summit of Bare is in site with some sort of "thing" sticking up from the top where the old lookout once stood
Finally, the summit of Bare is in site with some sort of "thing" sticking up from the top where the old lookout once stood
Not the summit of Bare, but looking up the switchback trail
Not the summit of Bare, but looking up the switchback trail
Snowy trail near the top of Bare
Snowy trail near the top of Bare
Zoom on Glacier
Zoom on Glacier
Why is there only snow on the trail?
Why is there only snow on the trail?
Gus enjoying the views on the top of Bare with a remnant of the old lookout
Gus enjoying the views on the top of Bare with a remnant of the old lookout
Doofus' Driver checking out the views from Bare
Doofus' Driver checking out the views from Bare
Doofus sunning himself on the top of Bare Mtn. with Glacier behind
Doofus sunning himself on the top of Bare Mtn. with Glacier behind
Looking south on the top of Bare
Looking south on the top of Bare
Driver and Doofus on Bare Mtn.  11/07/11
Driver and Doofus on Bare Mtn. 11/07/11
Lonesome climbers at the top of Bare Mtn. with Glacier behind
Lonesome climbers at the top of Bare Mtn. with Glacier behind
We didn't spend too long on the top - it was a little nippy. Coming down off the summit we had to be a little careful, because there was just enough snow to be slick and there are a couple of spots that could be a "one-bounce" if you slipped over the edge! But, soon we were merrily heading down and back to the main trail.
Heading out back across the meadow through the valley
Heading out back across the meadow through the valley
A fairly quick trip down - but we knew we still had another 4 miles back. The fading sunlight left a lovely glow on the hills as we headed out - not fully captured here, but an attempt.
Last of the sun glow
Last of the sun glow
We made it back to the car around, 4:30 and we saw that some impatient soul had decided to take matters into his/her hands . . .
Some jolly joker decided to go beyond the Road Closed sign.  Amazed we didn't find a 4x4 in the culvert!
Some jolly joker decided to go beyond the Road Closed sign. Amazed we didn't find a 4x4 in the culvert!
A wonderful trip up a very fun little peak with really decent views. I could have done without the roadwalk! 17 miles/3800' gain - about 8 hours. Now, this report couldn't be totally complete without a report on the annual birthday trek to Mailbox summit to make sure that I can still do it! Gus and I did it the day before Bare - on this particular trip we couldn't find a single person to join us confused.gif how come? tongue.gif Just don't know what fun is, I guess! Anyway, here are a few pics from that little jaunt. Managed 1.5 hrs. up and 1.1 down. It's pretty slick at the top and down by the boulders because of all the traffic that hike gets now. I may have to reconsider the location of my annual trek rant.gif waah.gif . I did manage to keep stride with a group of Army guys. They were told this was "the" hike to do for testing your fitness! Of course, when they got to the summit they pulled out some beer! Gotta' hand it to them for carrying it all the way up! (One guy even lit up when he arrived!) In any case, a few pics from the birthday trek.
Since when do you need a sign on Mailbox to tell you which way to the trailhead??  If you got this far, you should be able to figure it out!
Since when do you need a sign on Mailbox to tell you which way to the trailhead?? If you got this far, you should be able to figure it out!
Really?
Really?
Last stretch to the summit
Last stretch to the summit
Rainier in the distance from the top of Mailbox
Rainier in the distance from the top of Mailbox
Looking for the delivery . . . Opus, your delivery was missing!
Looking for the delivery . . . Opus, your delivery was missing!
The army troops arrive
The army troops arrive
Mailbox in tact
Mailbox in tact
Doofus looking for his treat delivery
Doofus looking for his treat delivery
Dude, get your own camera - why are you in our shot?
Dude, get your own camera - why are you in our shot?
This dude won't stay out of my pics!  Maybe he forgot his camera!  Anyway, looking towards Seattle
This dude won't stay out of my pics! Maybe he forgot his camera! Anyway, looking towards Seattle
Driver and Gus celebrating the birthday hike one more year on Mailbox Peak 10-31-11
Driver and Gus celebrating the birthday hike one more year on Mailbox Peak 10-31-11
Good weekend. I'm getting ready for snowshoe season! lol.gif winksmile.gif

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 4:04 am 
It gets better . . .
It gets better . . .
Dang gorgeous stripper, record challenging mountaineer, and super mom (college Hall of Fame, indeed!) is practically old enough to join my senior center. Keep it up, Suzanne! up.gif up.gif up.gif Only next time, I'd appreciate it if you'd remember that extra roll of film a little sooner. hmmm.gif humpy.gif wink.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 8:01 am 
Dang, nobody has ever wanted to do Bare mountain so bad. There are doctors for your problem. Lol. Nice.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Snowdog

Snowdog
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 10:06 am 
I am sooooooooo glad I wriggled out of this one! Way to persevere . up.gif agree.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 10:22 am 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Always nice to have a profession that one can fall back on when times are tough!

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
TomG

TomG
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 12:19 pm 
And I thought Bare Mountain was difficult to access when all it required was a long drive on a dirt road! Good photos and write up. Missing that turn off on the trail isn't so bad though. The trail continues onward to some neat historical junk--rotting puncheon, wreckage from an old plane crash, lots of mining junk, and a few mine adits as well.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 3:56 pm 
And the bare mountain lakes.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 4:32 pm 
Thanks for the reminder of this hike - it's been a while (that dirt road!!) so I'd like to get back up there. And thanks for the warning on the road. So if/when that's fixed, one should be able to drive to the TH? I seem to recall some mention of washed out road or some such in the past, leading to a somewhat longer walk than in the past, but that may no longer be the case (or may be a figment of my imagination)... Seems like the meadow would get brushed out by mid-summer a decade or so ago. So it was a nice hike either in mid-June before the brush had grown up (but after most of the snow melted) or else maybe in berry season after the meadow was nicely brushed. Of course it can also be fun to not see the trail you are walking on for a while, as long as you don't step into any of the holes that are along there...

TomG

TomG
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 4:50 pm 
It's a lovely lonely Autumn hike as well.

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 4:57 pm 
joker wrote:
So if/when that's fixed, one should be able to drive to the TH?
Indeed you can. The one culvert we ran into is the "only" thing blocking the road all the way to the Bare Mountain trailhead. It's a great hike. (And, unlike Dog Mountain, there IS an actual trail!)

BarbE

BarbE
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 8:16 pm 
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Driver and Doofus on Bare Mtn.  11/07/11
Driver and Doofus on Bare Mtn. 11/07/11
So, did Gus learn how to drive? hockeygrin.gif Way to finish off two peaks and get in some serious mileage for your B-Day! up.gif

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 10:09 pm 
BarbE wrote:
So, did Gus learn how to drive? :hockeygrin
tongue.gif moon.gif lol.gif

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 11:37 pm 
More crazy talk I tell ya! Walking a road for 4 miles to hike for 4 more miles and then doing it all backwards...crazy!!! But looks like a fun day! I did a WTA work party on the Bare trail a few years back (actually one of the workers stripped down to his briefs and slid down that waterfall...you should try it next time...). I always wanted to go back and hike it but the road was closed. Then re-opened. And now closed again. Some day perhaps I'll get there! PS I was with you on Mailbox in my thoughts if that counts for anything! winksmile.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostTue Nov 08, 2011 11:55 pm 
Nice (extra) work. up.gif Bare Mt has always been a little too exciting for me. First trip: Hypothermia. Second trip: First bear sighting. Third trip: Father in law has a heart attack. I may stick to mellower stuff, like monster crevasses.

Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostThu Nov 10, 2011 6:54 am 
Nice report!! Good to see all was not bared.