Forum Index > Trip Reports > Little St. Helens 11/11/11
Previous :: Next Topic  
Eric Willhite

Eric Willhite
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 1:21 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Little St. Helens Trip Report  Little St. Helens is right off the I-90 corridor and is about to receive a whole lot more visitation.  I drove up the Hansen Creek Road (exit 47 Granite Mtn/Lake Annette exit) with full intentions of poaching into the Cedar River Watershed on this federal holiday to grab Little St. Helens by bicycle.  I met a very informative hunter at the trailhead who informed me there was a trail that could get me near and I would avoid the watershed trespass.  Currently, possibly permanently, the road is closed at the Hansen Creek Gravel Pit.  (see map)

Press Release Nov. 7, 2011
Forest Service Closes Hansen Creek Gravel Pit to Target Shooting
New Trailhead, Mountain Bike Trail Being Built
The Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest is closing the target shooting area today at Hansen Creek gravel pit to build a new trailhead off the I-90 corridor in the Snoqualmie Ranger District. The Hansen Creek Trailhead will access a new bike trail system expected to be finished next spring. Mountains to Sound Greenway and the Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance are building the mountain bike trails, converting many old logging roads.  Forest Service regulations prohibit discharging a firearm within 150 feet of a residence, campsite, or developed recreation site. Violators can be fined up to $5,000 and/or imprisoned up to six months in jail. For more information contact Forest Service public services manager Cecilia Reed at 425-888-8769.

I didn't know this info before and was thrilled to find such a nice trail to bike up and down the mountain.  Biking up the final 1.7 miles of road to the watershed was disappointing but with 2 inches of snow on the road, the way down was exactly like being on cross-county skies for the first time.  Fast and no control.  The trail along the east side of Little St. Helens was dry, brand new with nice gravel and mostly level.  The north side had too much snow so the bike had to be ditched.  Still, someone the day before came from the other direction on his bike cutting a path through the snow.  As the route comes around the north side of the mountain and starts back south, the trail splits.  A new trail heads up to the highest Little St. Helens road near the summit.  At the highest point, leave the trail and take a decommissioned road back north and then east as it works back around the east side to the highest point.

Knowing what I now know about the "new trailhead" at the pit, I wished I had taken a better look at the old road that leaves that area and goes north around the mountain.  This is probably where the connecting trail is located that I saw higher on the mountain.  If so, that would make for a much nicer route up the mountain avoiding the road walk to the watershed gate.  Anyone know and can help me with this?

Hansen Creek Trail
Hansen Creek Trail
Hansen Creek Trail
Hansen Creek Trail
Looking down the I-90 corridor
Looking down the I-90 corridor
Bandara Mountain area
Bandara Mountain area
on the abandoned road near summit
on the abandoned road near summit
Looking east to Mount Baldy "Bearscout"
Looking east to Mount Baldy "Bearscout"
View toward Snoqualmie Pass
View toward Snoqualmie Pass
Humpback Mountain
Humpback Mountain
Mount Rainier
Mount Rainier
North from the summit of Little St. Helens
North from the summit of Little St. Helens
Mount Baldy...known as Bearscout Peak
Mount Baldy...known as Bearscout Peak

--------------
Taking a break from peakbagging to do some lookout bagging.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 1:38 am 
thanks - I've always wondered about this one.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 7:06 am 
Eric Willhite wrote:
Knowing what I now know about the "new trailhead" at the pit, I wished I had taken a better look at the old road that leaves that area and goes north around the mountain.  This is probably where the connecting trail is located that I saw higher on the mountain.  If so, that would make for a much nicer route up the mountain avoiding the road walk to the watershed gate.  Anyone know and can help me with this?

Yes, just head North for 1/2 mile or so from the parking area along that abandoned road.  When you approach the point where the NE Ridge comes down from Little S, you'll see a steep open talus area (before the ridge hits the road fork).  I added a label to your map.  From what I remember, the hillside there is steep but not terribly brushy or thick with trees.  Although I did it in late April with snow still on the ridge higher up.   smile.gif

To clarify, I was hiking not on a mountain bike.  So I don't know if you could piece together the old roads on the North side of the mountain and get up on top.  I would think you could.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Nov 12, 2011 8:31 am 
Cool.  up.gif
Dalekz

Dalekz
PostSun Nov 13, 2011 10:29 am 
So it looks like the FS will be keeping the bridge over Hanson Creek in. I thought I remembered in their earlier discussions that they were going to take it out and have the road end there. This is good news because getting across Hanson Creek without a bridge is not doable in the spring for skiing.
I think biking roads to the top means you have to go through the corner of the watershed. Do you know where the bike trail is going to go? Maybe that will take care of the watershed part.
Fatal Justice
UW Huskies UW

Fatal Justice
UW Huskies UW
PostWed Nov 16, 2011 8:11 pm 
hey I've never heard of this one.

intersting. thanks up.gif

--------------
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else lol
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Nov 17, 2011 12:00 am 
Good job and good info, Eric!

--------------
"Revolutions are not overnight. The heightist mindset has minimally a 100 year head start. Eventually the climbing community will embrace geocaching." -Paul Michelson
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Visit poster's website Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Trip Reports > Little St. Helens 11/11/11
  Happy Birthday uproar!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: