Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lord Loses Lady 11/13/11
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Nov 15, 2011 1:04 am 
Feeling terribly uninspired by gray skies and promises of rain, rain, and more rain, and highly anxious about my impending job loss, something close by was in order. Whenever something close by is in order, it usually falls to either Wallace Falls (the further) or Lord Hill Regional Park (the nearer). Since Wallace Falls is generally the post-Tanxgiving calorie burner, I chose the latter, which was the nearer. I've taken to preferring the Tester Road start. Maybe it's because I'd rather go up first and down later (even though the up is limited here). Parked on the side of Tester Rd. before the gate, loaded up, and started (lethargically) on my way.
Half Autumn, Half Winter Tree
Half Autumn, Half Winter Tree
Puddle Reflection
Puddle Reflection
Rather than head straight up the Pipeline Trail, I prefer to amble along beneath the quarry. I don't know why; I just do. Of course, here I get to take the requisite photos of the old backhoe (because no one ever photographs the old backhoe) and, climbing just a bit above river level, I get a glimpse of the river through the de-leafing trees.
Fun Ferns
Fun Ferns
Backhoe Back
Backhoe Back
Backhoe Not Back
Backhoe Not Back
Snohomish River View
Snohomish River View
One thing I noticed as I was heading along was that a car horn kept going off intermittently but for long periods of time. It truly was extremely annoying. It would blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaare and then stop, blaaaaaaaaaaaare and then stop. I figured it was some kids or drunks over at the trailer park across the river. But as I climbed the hill past the old quarry and toward the current quarry...
Artistic (or not)
Artistic (or not)
Lots of these around the park  ::)
Lots of these around the park smile.gif
...it kept getting louder. The gate for the road is closed and locked so I didn't understand how a vehicle could get up there. Just past the fork that would either take me further into the park (left) or up to the quarry (right), I saw a big Cat up in the quarry. Well then, it must be someone screwing around with the Cat, I thought, and I went back to trying to ignore the noise and continued on my mapped out way.
Pond Reflection
Pond Reflection
More Pond Reflection
More Pond Reflection
But damnit! There it goes again. So, after reaching the junction with the Pipeline Trail, instead of heading up I headed over yonder to the quarry. Maybe, just maybe someone needs attention over there, right? Nope. Strangely enough, while it was the Cat's horn, the door was locked and not a soul was in sight, inside or out. Kinda weird and spooky, actually. Since I didn't think Snohomish County's Dept. of Public Works was going to answer the phone on a Sunday afternoon, I called 911 and let them know what was going on. Okay NOW I can go back to my previously mapped route.
Many Shades of Decay
Many Shades of Decay
Leaf Coated Trail
Leaf Coated Trail
I finally hit the Pipeline Trail and started rolling along. Only a handful of other people in the park today (that I saw), including 5 on horseback. (Okay, so maybe 2 handfuls of people.) I mostly enjoyed just tumbling along and kicking leaves around.
Pipeline Trail
Pipeline Trail
Pipeline Trail
Pipeline Trail
Still More Pond Reflections
Still More Pond Reflections
Unplanned, I decided to take the short spur on the Temple Pond View Trail, though the view of Temple Pond isn't the most scenic.
Temple Pond View
Temple Pond View
Back to the Pipeline, I started heading up the big hill but when I was about 3/4 of the way up, I noticed that I had dropped my map somewhere on the Temple Pond View Trail, so apparently I needed to go to Temple twice this Sunday. So back to the end of the Temple Pond View Trail then back out and back up the hill again. Feh. I was still not feeling terribly inspired.
Last Vestiges of Color Along the Pipeline
Last Vestiges of Color Along the Pipeline
I passed the next junction to my right (Temple Pond Loop), opting to take the loop clockwise. And so I did, except somewhere along the way, I zigged when I should have zagged, or something, because the next thing I knew I was seeing fences and barns and houses where no fences nor barns nor houses should be. And there... there... there was a street. Which street? There are no street on the Temple Pond Loop. Where the hell am I? I know where I'm supposed to come out and it ain't here. But here are some cool mushrooms.
Shrooms
Shrooms
I started back-tracking and saw one fork in the trail, so I took it. It eventually dropped me back out on the Pipeline (where I wanted to be), but north of Beaver Lake (not where I wanted to be). Obviously, the junction at which I lost the main (Temple Loop) trail is not on the map, like many trails in Lord Hill. I think, in the future, I'll stick to meandering between the Main Trail and the Pipeline Trail; those are the routes I know. (You see, I wasn't really looking forward to being lost in a regional park come sundown on a cold and soon-to-be rainy night.) Anyway, having regained my bearings but having completely lost any enthusiasm (which was in short supply to begin with), I just mainlined it back down the Pipeline and straight to the car, constantly accompanied by the sound of gunfire - target practice, I'm guessing. Left a note for the truck that parked in the turn around asking him/her not to do so and thanked the kids who were cleaning up the mess from their party the night before. Best guess was about 7.5 miles. Whatever it was, I wandered unhurriedly for 4 hours and made it back well before sunset.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostWed Nov 16, 2011 5:36 pm 
This sounds like a few hikes I've had - no motivation, gloomy and dark. But it's still better than not going, right? Glad you were able to get out and find your way back to your car.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:11 pm 
Sorry about the impending job loss. Does that mean you'll be hiking every day of the week?

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostWed Nov 16, 2011 9:58 pm 
Thanks HM. I was gonna feel really stupid if the one time I got lost it was practically in my own backyard. And yes, going is always better than not going. Even a crappy day on the trail beats any other day. Puzzlr, I wish. Not exactly the season for it and I can't afford to stay jobless for long. Just me, myself and I here to pay rent and bills and buy food to eat. But, my gift to myself will be at least one outing a week. I can always put gas on the credit card. I should learn to live like a true American and be in debt, right?

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Nov 16, 2011 10:57 pm 
Nice honest heartfelt trip report! Getting out is always good when you've got some stress to deal with. Hopefully the job situation will improve for you soon so you can enjoy your outings even more! up.gif I really like your leaf and shroom shots!

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"