Forum Index > Partners > Night adventures in Discovery park, New Adventure added!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostFri Nov 18, 2011 5:26 pm 
I'm a maybe for Saturday.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Nov 18, 2011 6:39 pm 
I have my Moms " cocoa from scratch " recipe all set to go you can bring your own marshmallows and tin cup adult enhancement you take pot luck. hmmm.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostFri Nov 18, 2011 6:44 pm 
I think I have something going on Saturday night, but I don't remember.... If I still forget then maybe I'll be down there too!!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Nov 18, 2011 7:31 pm 
OK, count on it that I'm bringing the backpacking stove and cook pot. And since we are starting so early on Saturday, 5:30 pm, I'm also bringing a sandwich or something similar. Wait, I also have some hot buttered rum batter. I'll bring it, in case someone doesn't like hot chocolate. suuure.gif

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostFri Nov 18, 2011 8:37 pm 
mine will be premade in a thermos, not campstove friendly

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Nov 18, 2011 10:31 pm 
All are welcome. wink.gif OK, driving directions: Coming south on the Ballard bridge, turn right at the first opportunity, go straight through the light at Fisherman's terminal, turn right at the next light, go past all the boat-related businesses, past the locks, under the train tracks, go left when the road comes to a T, then right when it comes to another T, and that takes you to the north parking lot. If you aren't coming south across the Ballard bridge then I can't help you. embarassedlaugh.gif I will be in a white Subaru Legacy, or perhaps a white Saturn Shiitbox. embarassedlaugh.gif I just came back from the liquor store. They had 151 proof vodka on sale for $15, so I bought some to try it out. It's like off-brand Everclear. It's not bad, I'm sampling some now. biggrin.gif I just need to remember to use half as much. On a typical three-day backpacking trip, where I might have taken 8 ounces of vodka, now I only need four ounces. Ultralight vodka, what a concept. And when you consider it's twice as much alcohol almost, it's actually the cheapest kind.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 19, 2011 2:32 pm 
Weather update: This Afternoon: Partly sunny, with a high near 42. Calm wind. cool.gif Also, I have the stove, cookpot, windscreen, three insulated cups, hot buttered rum batter, a couple of different "flavor enhancers", but no actual hot chocolate mix. Maybe someone could bring a few Swiss Miss packets or something similar? That way we won't all be leeching off of meandering WA's thermos of pre-made. I also remembered to bring two extra insulated seat pads in case someone forgets theirs. One pad is for one person, the other would accommodate two, and I have my own as well. There are lots of good places to sit in the park, but they are often wet and almost always cold.

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Nov 19, 2011 4:49 pm 
OK, I have layered up with the thermal underwear and will make a thermos of something nice and legal. I will have one secret ingredient (Ztnimelpmur) on hand for a final flavoring touch.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 19, 2011 6:00 pm 
Awesome. I'm still at work, running a bit late, but my target time to be there was 5:15, so I should still be there by 5:30. cool.gif

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostSat Nov 19, 2011 10:19 pm 
Thanks to Slugman for the tour of Discovery Park in the Dark. up.gif It was a gorgeous but chilly night.

DitchDoc

DitchDoc
PostSat Nov 19, 2011 10:57 pm 
Had a good time, glad to finally meet some of the NWHikers. Thanks Slug for a cool new place.

Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round. Any deviation from that is bad.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Nov 19, 2011 11:13 pm 
Well, thanks to you great folks for coming. It was a lot of fun, especially when we got lost. suuure.gif Everyone was so nice to Daisy, I really appreciate that. And nothing beats hot chocolate and marshmallows on a cold night in the park with friends. Attending were me, MC, DD, meandering Wa, and Daisy the wonder dog. We explored the park from 5:30 to 9 pm, and went 4.5 miles. I'm estimating 2 to 2.5 hours walking, and 1 hour or so of lounging, a good ratio. The only wildlife we saw was a raccoon along the path down to South Beach, at the "view platforms".

Burke M
over-caffeinated

Burke M
over-caffeinated
PostSun Nov 20, 2011 9:48 am 
Sorry didnt make it last night, kind of a disaster getting out of the house with the kids so we bailed on it for something a little more small child friendly.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSun Nov 20, 2011 10:11 am 
It was a good time, with some handy star viewing, but not much boat action on the Sound. I have plenty of mixers for the next cocoa cookoff It had been years since I visited Discovery, having moved out of the ' hood in 94. Even in the dark I recognized many places.

Badger

Badger
PostSun Nov 20, 2011 11:12 am 
Couldn't make it but will try for next weeks outing. Sounds like it was a lot of fun.