Saloon
/Trade 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Lookout Mountain Oct 31st-Nov 2nd, 2011
Previous :: Next Topic  
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 12:55 pm   
 Reply to topic Reply with quote

The sun came through the windows on the south side, now free of their cloak of ice from the prior day.  It was siesta time.  The blissful warmth upon my dark blue capilene contrasted stongly with the morning’s hard frost.  It was warm enough without the bag.  This is what I came for, precious sun, and the promise of stars.

Our journey began on Halloween at dawn in a dark forest with a cool drizzle consolidating into fat drops all around. 

The TH was at 1300’; by 3500’ we were ascending in gentle snow sifting through old-growth cedar and doug fir.

The trunks were effortlessly 5 feet in diameter, rising straight out of the thick forest floor like Jack’s fanciful beanstalk. 

It was me & Bodhran for this trip, catching a narrow window of eventual high pressure to ensure the shutters were in place for the winter. 

By 5700’ the snow had thickened to about 12 inches, just enough for a festive aire. 

The structure was coated in ice and rime with evidence of spindrift inside.

Pools of frozen water were on the sills and floor on the windward side.  Shuttering would prevent that through winter.  Setting up was easy: the butane stove was set to the task of rendering powdery snow into water; food was eaten and warm clothing layered on to ward off the gathering chill; feathery bags for both the hound and I were pulled and allowed to regain their bulk. 

Warm sleep was anticipated. 

The sky did not clear until sometime between 3 and 6:30a; I got up a few times in the night hoping for star photos but found only mollifying fog.  The low was 18 degrees; spilled water quickly froze.  With frozen windows, the LO looked more like an ice cube on stilts.

I delighted in seeing Pine Grosbeaks in the surrounding firs; their cheery chatter brightening an otherwise bird-less landscape.

Sunrise was 8 o-clock sharp.  I shoveled the stairs with the hope that the sun would thaw the ice layer, but it was still a bit slippery when carrying the shutters up from their storage at the base of the tower.  

The inside warmed to 50 degrees melting and drying the interior. 

Melting snow on the flat roof revealed a couple of leaks in the ceiling; I marked the spots with a Sharpie for future repairs; Dan (the caretaker) and the Forest Service have been struggling with elusive leaks for years now.  I did little work on the structure other than cleaning and hauling out some used wax and garbage.

Dan’s summer paint work looked great.

The second night turned blustery with cirrus buggering the stars.  I still managed a couple more time-lapse sequences of dawn and sunrise. 

The tower shook and shimmied; water in the pot sloshed at the sides with some of the largest gusts. 

Bodhran retreated from the catwalk; his fur creased in the wrong direction by the wind. 

My final act was to carefully place and secure the 26 ¾-inch plywood panels over the windows, glad to see the LO through another winter.

--------------
http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/

There's nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept-- Ansel Adams
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:05 pm   

up.gif  up.gif  up.gif  up.gif Fan-frickin-tastic!  up.gif  up.gif  up.gif  up.gif
Sky Hiker

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:09 pm   

Looks like a good time and you had it all to yourself!!!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
Hikingqueen

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:33 pm   

Not sure it gets any better!
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail
IanB
Vegetable Belayer

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:34 pm   

Sublime.
Thank you for such utterly transporting photography!    borank.gif

--------------
"Forget gaining a little knowledge about a lot and strive to learn a lot about a little."    - Harvey Manning
Snowdog

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 1:56 pm   

you are my lookout hero! wink.gif  up.gif

--------------
'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:11 pm   

Love it.  up.gif  up.gif

--------------
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke
"Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
flatsqwerl

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:44 pm   

pretty good 'desk' job you've got there.
Ingunn
Hiking Viking

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:55 pm   

Awesome. up.gif

--------------
trailsnail.com
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Visit poster's website
MtnManic

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:34 pm   

Mmmm, good, those photos.  Oh, and the report, too.

--------------
Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time.  Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:38 pm   

Thanks, D, for taking such great care of these treasures.   up.gif  up.gif  up.gif
GrnXnham

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:00 pm   

Great video!
Get Out and Go

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:12 pm   

Great capture..........valley clouds, snow-line on the mountains, and nice video...... up.gif

--------------
Use the Ignore button?   Now, where's the entertainment value in that?
onehikeaweek

Post Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:37 pm   

Awesome photos and report! I knew there had to be more gorgeous photos other than the ones on WTA. smile.gif

We were there last Saturday and the weather was less than ideal.
http://bit.ly/lookout-mountain

--------------
bit.ly/my-hikes | instagr.am/sinfullybaked
D. Inscho
Not bored yet...

Post Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:48 am   

Thanks everyone for the generous commentary, especially the feedback about the video; that is where most of the work goes.

I am still getting the hang of time-lapse sequences and exposures.  Perhaps of interest: you can see my headlamp and the door of the LO open in the dawn tower time-lapse.  I had gotten up 90 minutes before first light intending to get a good long sequence, but an ill timed trip to the privy  embarassedlaugh.gif  and technical issues with a cold camera shortened the series.  Anyway, I learned a lot on this trip.

--------------
http://david-inscho.smugmug.com/

There's nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept-- Ansel Adams

Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours 
Forum Index -> Trip Reports -> Lookout Mountain Oct 31st-Nov 2nd, 2011 1, 2  Next 
  Happy Birthday Toonces, sailBOI, mthyer!

Jump to: