Forum Index > Trip Reports > Celebrating 40 years in the Southwest - Oct 10-18/2011
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 6:55 pm 
As the saying goes what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas. Fortunately we didn't stay long in sin city so we can share most of what happened on our week long trip to the Southwest. Warning: the following video is for immature audiences only, viewer discretion is advised. Watch in full screen, HD directly on Vimeo if your connection is fast enough (turn scaling on in top right corner once maximized).
The Hangover NWHikers Style from Weekends With Marmots on Vimeo. Lots of photos to follow but the destinations depicted in the video are as follows: The Narrows:
Hiker Occupies Wall Street
Hiker Occupies Wall Street
This is a classic hike up the Virgin River in Zion National Park, so don’t plan on too much solitude. Don’t let the hordes scare you away though, this is a can’t miss experience. Check recent conditions before planning your trip as you can only do this hike in late summer (less danger of flash floods). I highly recommend renting at least river shoes, you can get them in town at Zion Adventure Company, and I think next time I would spring for the full dry suit as well. Hiking in the dark, wet canyon can get fairly chilly in parts. They also rent dry bags specifically designed for SLRs. We only went as far as Wall Street as recent rains had resulted in higher water levels than we wanted to deal with while carrying all our camera gear. We also seemed to move in slow motion and made horrible time due to the photogenic nature of the river canyon. White Pocket:
My Happy Place
My Happy Place
This for me was the highlight of the trip, one of the coolest places I’ve ever been and not an easy place to get to (my second attempt). You can find details on how to get here online and in Laurent Martres Photographing the Southwest – Arizona. This road can be challenging and dangerous. It is a deep sand track and a high clearance, 4WD is MANDATORY. Also check recent road conditions with the Paria Ranger Station. Make sure you have a shovel and lots of supplies in case you get stuck, towing is pricey and there is no cell coverage out there. Floor mats can be handy for traction and letting a bit of air out of your tires might help as well. A GPS with preprogrammed co-ordinates can be useful as well to navigate the maze of roads. I can guarantee you this is not like any place you’ve ever been. The rock patterns and formations could keep a photographer enthralled for days in this area. There are lots of nooks and crannies to explore and scramble up, down and around. After the sun has set there is a magic few minutes where the red rock just glows, it is a truly inspiring place to be. Peek-a-boo and Spooky Canyons:
Are we having fun yet?
Are we having fun yet?
A popular set of slot canyons near Escalante. You can find details in my old reliable guidebook series - Hiking from Here to WOW: Utah Canyon Country. Again recent rains left us with a set of challenges David tells me he and Trevor did not face on their trip. Namely cesspools - cold, mucky, stinky pools making scrambling up the rock difficult. It took the 3 of us corporate retreat style to push and pull each other through this corkscrew canyon. Coyote Gulch
Ray of Light
Ray of Light
Another unique canyon in Escalante just down the road from the previous slot canyons. What a truly unique and special place. Bring your water shoes and again count on having lots of company if camping at the Jacob Hamlin Arch. Others voices will reverberate off the canyon walls and can get annoying; however I have never minded having to share a place that is this cool. And just a reminder: When the brochure says quicksand is possible...it really is! Poor Josie! lol.gif We had a fabulous trip and I highly recommend all the places we visited, including Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area outside of Vegas, Valley of Fire State Park, meals at Café Soleil in Zion, and Escalante Outfitters in the town of Escalante (for food, cold beers, camping, and birthday desserts). If you’ve ever asked me where my favourite places to explore and photograph are, my answers have remain unchanged over the years. The Canadian Rockies, Hawai’i and the Southwest. What are you waiting for? Adventure awaits you in the Southwest, get out there and find it!

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gimpilator
infinity/21M

Gimpilator
infinity/21M
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 8:01 pm 
Wow!!! Super-cool video and lovely pics. What a trip you three had! Thanks for sharing it.

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 8:30 pm 
I'm confused...40 years? I thought you are from Vancouver??

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 8:50 pm 
Matt, I understand your confusion since none of us look a day over 25 winksmile.gif And every once in a while we talk the border patrol into letting our K2 Canadian into the States for an adventure... as long as she brings back a six pack of Polygamy Porter.

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch

Goats Know
Gravity's Bitch
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 8:52 pm 
Delightful! up.gif up.gif up.gif up.gif

Here on this mountaintop...Woahoho...I got some wild, wild life - Talking Heads
Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen²
A Real Canadian Girl
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 9:09 pm 
Matt Lemke wrote:
I'm confused...40 years?
It was a surprise birthday trip (revealed in the video), hence my 40th birthday party was IN the SW.

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors

Matt Lemke
High on the Outdoors
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 9:18 pm 
oh...I got it smile.gif You went to some nice places!

The Pacific coast to the Great Plains = my playground!!! SummitPost Profile See my website at: http://www.lemkeclimbs.com
Go Jo
of the lykkens

Go Jo
of the lykkens
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 9:26 pm 
Sweet!
Sweet!
From now on I'm only traveling places where shoe shots require pano!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostWed Nov 23, 2011 11:17 pm 
Really awesome video K2. up.gif up.gif The models were delightful as always. biggrin.gif

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostThu Nov 24, 2011 7:05 am 
It's no accident "Hangover NW Hikers Style" premiered in November. Definitely Oscar Material! Great vid and shots, love the "on Location" filming! John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
GaliWalker
Have camera will use

GaliWalker
Have camera will use
PostSat Nov 26, 2011 4:48 am 
Great video! The additional photos from White Pocket are lovely. Whenever I next make a SW trip I'll have to make an attempt to get there (along with The Wave, of course)...as you say, full of possibilities!

'Gali'Walker => 'Mountain-pass' walker bobbi: "...don't you ever forget your camera!" Photography: flickr.com/photos/shahiddurrani
Hikingqueen

Hikingqueen
PostSat Nov 26, 2011 10:03 am 
You ladies are SO KOOL! What an amazing b'day present and trip! Loved it! hockeygrin.gif

Snowdog

Snowdog
PostSat Nov 26, 2011 10:41 am 
SW is one of my all time favorite places too- love the way I feel there. (even got hitched there) wink.gif So much to explore, could keep one busy for a long time. GREAT photos Karen! up.gif

'we don't have time for a shortcut'
Anna Mae
or may not

Anna Mae
or may not
PostSat Nov 26, 2011 11:53 am 
Aren't you concerned that, with all this great publicity, you'll attract hordes (okay, more hordes) of people to these places, and wind up spoiling the Southwest for the rest of us? huh.gif You know, the way the Cascades have been spoiled? lol.gif Anna Mae You've convinced me, that's for sure. humpy.gif What a neat trip!

Against stupidity ...... the gods themselves ...... contend in vain.
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostSat Nov 26, 2011 10:52 pm 
Oh my, Karen, that's over the top. Awesome video production, great trip.
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Get a group of circum-forty teenage girls together and you never know what's going to happen. paranoid.gif
::)
smile.gif
........ Errrr ....
........ Errrr ....
For heaven's sake, don't stop now!! ...... Who edited this damn video, anyway?
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Vegas
Jo, Ingunn, Karen, it's a special privilege and pleasure to have had you ladies as part of our lives, all of these years. And it seems like it just gets better every year. humpy.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!