Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Favorite Doughnut? (First post lists suggestions)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fletcher

Fletcher
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 11:42 am 
Countryside Doughnuts in Totem Lake are awesome. Only open till noon and They only accept cash. Super cheap too.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 1:24 pm 
meandering Wa wrote:
When I find a plain cake as good, I know I have a winner.
Family Donut, N'gate Way. I'm tellin' ya. Lightly crispy on the outside, light and moist on the inside. Eons ago, there used to be an awesome hole in the wall (almost literally) on the Ave in the U Dist. I would stop while changing buses on my way to school, but this was back in the early 80s.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 1:26 pm 
And I do have a soft spot for Frost's Smoky Bacon Maple Bar, though most of their other offerings are too sweet, even for my sweet tooth.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
GrnXnham

GrnXnham
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 5:09 pm 
Ski wrote:
real donut shop. 9600 block of Gravelly Lake Drive SW in Lakewood. absolutely horrific architecture. be there before 2 pm unless you want to pick through the also-rans. drive up window even! woohoo!
Yep. Best ever. Huge selection and some very unique treats. It's called the "House of Donuts" but the sign just says "DONUTS."

tigermn

tigermn
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 5:31 pm 
Ok I've never heard of or seen a "Frost Doughnut" place. Is that some kind of yuppie shop in Bellevue or something... lol.gif I've definitely gotta check out that place in Lakewood. About once a week I go walk around the Chambers Creek trail so am at least somewhat in the area.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 8:48 pm 
I love Frost. It's in Mill Creek just east of Lynnwood. I've bought donuts there every weekend for the past year and a half. http://frostology.com/ No one comes close to the variety that they have.

glazed look

glazed look
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 9:04 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Countryside Doughnuts in Totem Lake are awesome. Only open till noon and They only accept cash. Super cheap too.
ditto.gif I like the blueberry cake doughnuts. A place closer to me sells a coconut glazed cake doughnut which is also great. up.gif up.gif

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 10:49 pm 
I feel left out; I don't have a favorite donut place. But I never did get what the big deal was about Krispy Kreme. I wouldn't pay no mind either way, but what turned me off was that yuppie chirps in professional offices like law and accounting firms went all ga-ga over them a few years ago. They literally swooned when someone did so much as mention Krispy Kreme. Vendors would sell boxed of the damn things on the street corners downtown every morning. They were at every meeting for a couple of years (I mean the donuts, not the vendors). My guess is that it was one of those "emporer's new clothes" deals - everyone agrees because they think they have to, in order to fit in with the "in" crowd, and all the girls in law and accounting offices fell for it. Not a maple bar fan; I guess my faves are plain cake donuts and the creme & jelly filled ones, but no favorite place. But I will say that I won't say no to Krispy Kreme, if one or 8 were offered to me. I'm just saying that they're no better than any other donut place. That's all I'm sayin'.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Toni

Toni
PostFri Dec 16, 2011 11:25 pm 
I think Krispie Kreme will give you a free donut if you ask, I have in the past. The Glazed right out of the 'deep fryer' is so good warm, melts in your mouth....yummmm.

There is no Planet B
shadetree

shadetree
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 1:17 am 
besides the doughnuts my mother use to make I think Pao's on 6th ave in Tacoma makes some of the best around. my mother's are still better. Here is a review. Not mine. "Who the hell leaves a 5-star review on a donut shop? Donuts are hardly gourmet. Unless you go to Pao's. I don't know what is in those, but they turn me into Homer Simpson every single time I walk out of there. "Mmm... donuts." Great sized donuts, and a really great flavor. They do something different, I don't know what it is. Cinnamon? Honey? Heroine? I wish I knew. I'd sprinkle it in everything I bake. Please note: this is a CASH ONLY joint. You remember cash, it's that filthy green stuff we used to use in the old days, before the pretty plastic money. (Mmm...credit cards.) Plan ahead, rob an ATM, get yourself some greenbacks. Our first time there, we got a half-dozen donuts, and split each one to try 6 different varieties. They were all great. Not greasy, thick icing, excellent flavor. The old-fashioned donut made my eyes roll back in my head. As for service, she was efficient and friendly, and the whole place is really kind of mellow and homey. It's got an 80's "time to make the donuts" commercial (remember that guy?) kind of feel, which is kind of awesome. Almost every time we are in Tacoma, we make a trip over there for some sweet round treats. Mmm...Pao's donuts."

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 8:06 am 
I work near Mill Creek so Frost make regular appearances at work suuure.gif agree they are nice but I avoid gilding the lilly as shown in the pics above. The little cakes are the thing, too much frosting simply overwhelm the quality ( or hides the lack ) of the cake Countryside in Totem Lake is super. I love the homey "regular" atmosphere there. Some people are there every day at the same table. When I was a commuter I would occasionally stop there for my coffee and paper. I always assumed they were family with the Countryside in MLT. Agree too with the blueberry cake, a super moist surprise. I thank goodness that there is not a good place near my home, though Countryside / Totem Lake is not that far, I am a reformed character.

SweetSassy
Sweet n Sassy

SweetSassy
Sweet n Sassy
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 9:49 am 
Mighty-O Donuts in Seattle has the best vegan donuts I've ever tasted. A girl (or guy) cannot go wrong with the Lemon Poppyseed or the Naked Cake. Great. Now I want a donut. Thanks.

Sassy - a recovering couch potato
touron

touron
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 12:38 pm 
shadetree wrote:
Our first time there, we got a half-dozen donuts, and split each one to try 6 different varieties.
That reminds me of when I use to be able to eat five doughnuts in one sitting. Why is it now that I'm twice as tall that I can only eat one or two? Life just ain't fair! As far as maple bars go, they need to be light, but not so light that all you recognize is the maple frosting. The dough has to have a little substance so that it is harmonious with the frosting. However, there is at least one bakery I know of that makes the dough way to heavy. This is wrong. When I was little, Sunday was roll day, and the local Lucky's grocery store had a very good bakery. Yum.

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
onemoremile

onemoremile
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 12:45 pm 
The cream filled Krispy Kreme donut... hungry.gif I've tried all kinds of donuts, but that is the one I want most. Once I start, I get into a frenzy and can't stop. So far my record is at 2 boxes before food coma/sugar seizures set in.

“Arbolist? Look up the word. I don’t know, maybe I made it up. Anyway, it’s an arbo-tree-ist, somebody who knows about trees.” G.W. Bush
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 12:49 pm 
Sultan bakery makes a fabulous glazed pretzel. The "pretzel" is a doughnut, with a double twist. And since I only eat them right before a hike, I don't feel too guilty.