Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Favorite Doughnut? (First post lists suggestions)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 12:57 pm 
touron wrote:
the local Lucky's grocery store had a very good bakery
I remember the bakery @ Lucky's being particularly yummy as well.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Seracer

Seracer
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 3:41 pm 
The best bakery I have ever been in was the Judy Jane in Chelan. They had a great variety and each and every one was fabulous. Sadly, they become another victim of the times a few years ago and the site is now a Starbucks. As for doughnuts, there is nothing better than a deep-fried apple fritter. The round, chocolate covered creamed filled goodies that I have always called a bismark are number two. Maple bars and old-fashion cake doughnuts (the ones that are crispy on the outside and soft in the middle) are tied at number three in my book.

touron

touron
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 3:58 pm 
A side note: if you visit Countryside Doughnuts in Totem Lake, you should also stop at Nick's Grill which is in the same row of buildings but right around the corner. They have great sandwiches and a very unique grilled burrito. I think I have tried everything on their menu at one time or another. up.gif up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 8:10 pm 
Fletcher wrote:
Countryside Doughnuts in Totem Lake are awesome. Only open till noon and They only accept cash. Super cheap too.
Stopped by there on the way to hiking this morning. Good doughnuts but I'd hardly call $1.10 for a maple bar super cheap. lol.gif It seems most doughnut shops around here are about 70-90 cents for a typical doughnut. Maybe that is just the east side premium tax. lol.gif Heck at QFC you can even get Top Pot donuts for 69 cents.

tigermn

tigermn
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 8:12 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Sultan bakery makes a fabulous glazed pretzel. The "pretzel" is a doughnut, with a double twist. And since I only eat them right before a hike, I don't feel too guilty.
I will have to check this out. I've driven by there time and time again and never stopped.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Dec 17, 2011 8:18 pm 
They make a lot of good baked items. Their Crunch bread is a favorite, apple fritters, maple bars, pudding-filled doughnuts, etc, plus things like cheesecake, and the best breakfast sandwiches, big enough for two people. Every time I go in there I ask if they have any coconut-pineapple haystacks. They rarely do. frown.gif Next time they do, I'm going to buy the place out. hmmm.gif Stopping there is a major reason to do hikes out Rt 2. agree.gif

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostSun Dec 18, 2011 3:41 pm 
Touron I grew up in Rainier Beach in Seattle and our Lucky store did have a nice bakery.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Dec 18, 2011 4:01 pm 
Not a doughnut but same shape, Montreal Bagels. smile.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Once Lost

Once Lost
PostSun Dec 18, 2011 6:21 pm 
Spudnuts from the Spudnut shop in downtown Richland. The best doughnuts around.

touron

touron
PostSun Dec 18, 2011 6:28 pm 
meandering Wa wrote:
Touron I grew up in Rainier Beach in Seattle and our Lucky store did have a nice bakery.
Meandering, I suspect we are talking about one and the same store, on Rainier and Henderson....maple bars, raised doughuts with coconut, or chocolate frosting and nuts, pershings, twists....I am getting hungry. hungry.gif That same Lucky's store had another store adjoining it called the House of Values that sold everything from Christmas trees to irons to 45 records. A true general store. up.gif up.gif

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Dec 19, 2011 8:34 am 
yes touron Lucky and HofV it was such a big deal when it opened before then we had to drive over to Holly Park to shop at Safeway and FM. or make do with the little store on rainier and 56th. I dont remember if the bakery that was just west of there did anything but bread. I am old enough to remember the donut factory right at the curve of Rainier at about 52nd. It burned in a fire. And Spudnut was the donut shop on the Ave back in the day , if I remember correctly

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Dec 19, 2011 8:44 am 
This thread is having me craving a doughnut about now....

tigermn

tigermn
PostMon Dec 19, 2011 7:18 pm 
The doughnut craving today had to be satisfied by hitting Krispy Kreme down by South Hill Mall. A mere $1.29 per doughnut.. lol.gif

touron

touron
PostMon Dec 19, 2011 9:14 pm 
meandering Wa wrote:
I am old enough to remember the donut factory right at the curve of Rainier at about 52nd. It burned in a fire.
I remember a place called Sir Doughnut. I don't remember getting any doughnuts there though. I think it went in after the Safeway and Pay n' Save. Sir Doughnut was next to Petes-a-Pete and the Patchwork Deli, which made awesome roastbeef sandwiches. up.gif up.gif up.gif Earlier, there had been kind of a dairy-barn place near there. And the Herfy's was next door...Herfy's burger.gif Has anyone ever made butterscotch pecan rolls...from scratch? up.gif up.gif up.gif Remember, if a touron can make them, so can you. agree.gif PECAN ROLLS 3-1/2 cups warm (110-115 deg. F) water, divided 3 packages active dry yeast 5 teaspoons salt 1/2 cup sugar or honey 1/4 cup shortening (not oil) 1 cup evaporated milk 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla 2 cups buttermilk 12 to 15 cups flour* 1. Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. 2. Combine yeast, salt, remaining water, sugar, shortening, milk, buttermilk, and vanilla with 5 cups of the flour. Mix well with electric mixer until smooth. 3. Add enough of the remaining flour to make a firm dough. Mix in well with a spoon. *Sometimes this will require the total amount of flour plus another 1/2 to 3/4 cup to make the dough easy to handle. 4. Knead the dough by hand on a WELL-FLOURED bread board until smooth and elastic, at least 12 minutes. 5. Grease one or two see-through plastic Tupperware containers and place dough inside. Turn over to grease top of dough. Snap on lid(s). Let dough rise in a warm place. 6. Prepare three 9" x 13" oblong pans as follows: a. Grease the sides and bottoms of each pan. b. Coat each pan with: 1/3 cup melted butter 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed) 1 Tablespoon corn syrup or water 1/2 cup pecan halves 7. When you can see that dough has coubled in size, punch it down to break the air bubbles. Separate it into 3 portions. Roll each portion into an oblong shape 15" x 9" on a WELL FLOURED bread board (a rolling pin covered with a pastry sleeve makes dough easier to roll). Spread each with 2 Tablespoons soft butter and sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar mixed with 2 teaspoons cinnamon. 8. Roll up tightly, beginning at wide side, stretching dough slightly as you go. Seal well, pinching edges together. Stretch roll slightly to even. Cut into 1" slices and place these a little apart in the pan. 9. Cover wtih a damp towel; let rise until double. Bake at 375 deg. F for 25 to 30 minute until golden brown. Immediately turn pan upside down on a cookie sheet and allow buterscotch topping to run over rolls for a minute. hungry.gif

half fast

half fast
PostMon Dec 19, 2011 9:26 pm 
those sound delish touron... agree.gif I have never been a big fan of fryed doughnuts... but... For those who want something baked but don't want to bake it yourselves... The best doughnut shop is in Port Angeles. Cockadoodle Doughnuts make beyond a shadow of a doubt the absolute BEST baked Bear Claw you will ever lay your lips on... up.gif up.gif

It's all about the fun, oh and maybe the chocolate - half fast