Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Favorite Doughnut? (First post lists suggestions)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostMon Dec 19, 2011 9:35 pm 
Haa haa Dairy Valley, a drive thru milk vendor We got our milk there after no longer having a milkman. The donut factory burned in , I think, 1963 I have to make a list of everyones fav donut places. Bonus points to suggest a favorite day hike alongthe way to/from.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!

Pikawhisperer
Wag More, Bark Less!
PostMon Dec 19, 2011 10:20 pm 
The Donut House in Anacortes! Yummy maple old fashion. I'm not a huge donut fan but I have to stop by and pick one of these up whenever I'm in Anacortes. happymeal.gif

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostMon Dec 19, 2011 11:09 pm 
I think I need a donut after thinking about this topic all weekend.

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostTue Dec 20, 2011 8:02 am 
Cannot remember which donut place is which in Anacortes the one on the east side of the main street is good, they have a drive thru, the one on the west side of the street has closed. I have a hard time resisting turning in on my way to Spring flower scout at Washington Park. Washington Park has some of the most unique ecology ( serpentine) in Puget Sound

tigermn

tigermn
PostTue Dec 20, 2011 9:55 am 
Just had part of a leftover red velvet Krispy Kreme from yesterday..Yum...

Mtn Man
Snow addict

Mtn Man
Snow addict
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 1:33 pm 
Maple Bacon Bar at Voodoo Donuts in Portland......cannot be beat.... B)

Mmmmm, backcountry...
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 5:03 pm 
Raised style ones like KKreme are OK when fresh but generally I like the basic cake style fried ones, just ever so slightly crispy on the outside. oh yeah, and a sugar drizzled old fashioned which melts in your mouth is my all time fave.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher

Bloated Chipmunk
Cock Rock Searcher
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 7:39 pm 
Kim Brown wrote:
everyone agrees because they think they have to, in order to fit in with the "in" crowd,
...Kinda like Farcebook. But anyway.... wink.gif Seems like every type of doughnut I've had has been a gut bomb. After eating one I feel like I just swallowed a rock.... eek.gif It just sits there for hrs...I suppose that might come in handy if I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat for awhile afterward, but o/w I'd rather skip it. At work we used to have cake @ 7 in the morning fairly often, but only 1/2 the time would I eat any. Sometimes it's just too early for such things.... uhoh.gif

Home is where the hiking is. "Peaks that have come and gone four times should halt a man in his steps." -- William O. Douglas A balanced diet is a margarita in each hand.
EJ

EJ
PostWed Dec 21, 2011 7:54 pm 
It's never too early for cake, though I'd rather have a piece of pie in the morning... I'm going to have to try Countryside. I've lived near Totem Lake since 1999 and I have never been there. (I have never been to Nick's Grill either.)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Dec 22, 2011 4:40 pm 
Finally got going early enough to have half a chance of there still being anything left. Left the house about 12:30. Got to House of Donuts at 9638 Gravelly Lake Dr. SW. about 12:55.
They still had lots of glazed crullers left...
...and lots of maple bars.
But I opted for my favorite: their last two turnovers. One cherry, one raspberry.
I snagged the zipper on my tent last time out, so I hauled it along. Because Ardesson's Shoe Repair is right across the street!
Alex and Karen were busy busy busy.
Got laces?
Hey, a testimonial for Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP boot treatment!
You better believe Alex and Dave know the difference, too!
Here's where it happens.
"How long you been fixin' shoes, Dave?" "Oh... about 44 years now."
Dave fixed up these old beaters good as new for me a couple years back:
maybe this should have gone into "Trip Reports" Oh.. yeah.. it took Karen about 3 minutes to fix that zipper.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Dec 22, 2011 4:56 pm 
Ski wrote:
real donut shop. 9600 block of Gravelly Lake Drive SW in Lakewood. absolutely horrific architecture. be there before 2 pm unless you want to pick through the also-rans. drive up window even! woohoo!
This "House of Doughnuts" is an interesting place. Both the appearance and the volume of customers. I managed to get over there today a little before 8AM. Drive up windows on both sides of the building, 4 customers waiting inside and only one person servicing them all. It went faster than I thought given the amount of people to service. People ordering "whatever assortment" dozens made it go faster. Doughnuts only 80 cents a piece which is cheaper than just about all but grocery store doughnuts. I think I found my new favorite doughnut place. I can't explain what it is, but man were they good. That sorta crunchy chocolate bar was to die for. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for the waistline) not exactly close but at least in range if I am going to Chambers Creek to walk. If I lived closer I'd gain weight for sure lol.gif

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostThu Dec 22, 2011 5:22 pm 
Oh that architecture is pure classic 60's! Not horrific at all!

tigermn

tigermn
PostThu Dec 22, 2011 5:35 pm 
Ski wrote:
Got to House of Donuts at 9638 Gravelly Lake Dr. SW. about 12:55.
I didn't notice your post until after I posted my "trip report" so to speak to the house of doughnuts. How funny. But I didn't have any photos which on NWhikers is a big no no lol.gif I actually thought about taking a picture since I even had my camera in the car but alas I didn't. When I was there in the AM there were cars on both sides of the building at the rather crude drive up windows on both sides. (No clowns or microphones or video screens to talk into or look at lol.gif ). I just parked and went inside since I didn't know what they had and wanted to view the merchandise.

marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostFri Dec 23, 2011 6:20 am 
krispy kreme anything is nasty... too sweet. if they did away with the gross glaze waterfall, they could be ok doughnuts... but, even if you ask for unglazed, the counter cretins look at you funny....

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostFri Dec 23, 2011 9:09 am 
Voodoo Donuts. Period.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.