Forum Index > Trail Talk > Ranger shot at Mount Rainier National Park
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jackchinook

jackchinook
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 1:54 pm 
Thanks everyone who's made efforts to re-focus this thread and keep it respectful. As a fellow fed working on public lands, as well as a father of 2 in my mid-30's, this tragedy has really, really hit home. All I can think about is, though I didn't know officer Anderson or her husband, I know so many other young people like them that are dedicated to their jobs, the places they love, and the communities they help to create. It could have been any of them. A tragedy like this would shake the little community that I live in to its core....as I'm sure the people of MRNP and Eatonville must be right now. My heart goes out to all of them, especially dad and kids who've had something irretrievably taken from them...and the park employees who also lost a family member on Sunday. I hope they can eventually take comfort knowing that she was a hero and that she likely saved more lives by putting herself in harm's way.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 2:07 pm 
This is a good reminder for members to remember that anything you type on this forum can be quoted by the press.
Gil wrote:
We've just posted a couple of stories on the ranger's death. The first is about the problems at Lewis-McChord: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/03/9923187-ex-soldier-in-mount-rainier-killing-stationed-at-deeply-troubled-base The second is about the guy who last saw the ranger before her death, and it includes a bit from kayakbear about being led out of the park by helicopter: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/01/03/9923086-park-visitor-slain-ranger-saved-my-life

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 2:42 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Rest in peace, Ranger Anderson. No one will ever know exactly why what happened happened. No reason can ever be discovered that would make sense to another person. This is why we call them senseless acts. To the ranger's friends and family, should any ever read this, I can tell you I know just what you are feeling right now, the shock, horror, sadness, loss, the grief. The shock and horror at the senselessness of her death will soon fade, and you will be left feeling only the loss of your beloved friend or family member. Celebrate her memory and her life, she will live on in the hearts of those she touched.
Sluggo: I'm going to quote this in my on-line column today. It's simply superb.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 2:47 pm 
Dave Workman wrote:
Slugman wrote:
Rest in peace, Ranger Anderson. No one will ever know exactly why what happened happened. No reason can ever be discovered that would make sense to another person. This is why we call them senseless acts. To the ranger's friends and family, should any ever read this, I can tell you I know just what you are feeling right now, the shock, horror, sadness, loss, the grief. The shock and horror at the senselessness of her death will soon fade, and you will be left feeling only the loss of your beloved friend or family member. Celebrate her memory and her life, she will live on in the hearts of those she touched.
Sluggo: I'm going to quote this in my on-line column today. It's simply superb.
Yes, I thought so too. Dave, where might I (we?) find your column?

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 3:26 pm 
moonspots wrote:
Yes, I thought so too. Dave, where might I (we?) find your column?
RIGHT HERE

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Ranger Smith

Ranger Smith
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 3:40 pm 
Where to send cards and donations for the Anderson family at Daily Hiker: http://www.dailyhiker.com/news/where-send-condolences-for-mt-rainier-ranger-andersons-family/

I'm a man, I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 3:45 pm 
Good article Dave, and nice touch with the Sluggo quote. Im on Seattle Guns regularly. Contribution made.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 4:48 pm 
Thanks for the kind words about how I expressed my feelings. As many of you know, an eerily similar event occurred to someone I know recently, killed in a senseless act, then the killer dead soon after. Dave, you may use those words in any way you think might be helpful to another person.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 5:12 pm 
Ranger Smith wrote:
Where to send cards and donations for the Anderson family at Daily Hiker: http://www.dailyhiker.com/news/where-send-condolences-for-mt-rainier-ranger-andersons-family/
Thanks for posting that. I suspect the family would get more comfort from donations not tied to a specific group or cause.

Criminal

Criminal
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 5:18 pm 
I think my question got lost in the bickering. Does anyone know if they were stopping cars at the entrance to collect the entrance fee? Maybe I'm the only one that's wondering if he stopped and paid the entry fee before failing to stop for a potential speeding ticket.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 5:24 pm 
They stop cars at the Longmire gate to check to see that all cars are carrying tire chains. It was not about speeding.

Criminal

Criminal
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 6:39 pm 
JimK wrote:
They stop cars at the Longmire gate to check to see that all cars are carrying tire chains. It was not about speeding.
Oh yeah. I don't know how I got speeding as a cause of the stop attempt into my head. So he basically blew past the gatehouse and that's what started it. None of this makes sense.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
Damian

Damian
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 6:58 pm 
This thread has been cleaned up a bit out of respect for the families and friends affected. Pls continue to keep this thread respectful. Thanks all wink.gif .

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 7:36 pm 
http://today.seattletimes.com/2012/01/autopsy-shows-suspect-in-rangers-slaying-drowned/
Quote:
Autopsy shows suspect in ranger’s slaying drowned Posted by Mike Carter on January 3, 2012 at 5:43 PM The Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office says an autopsy performed on Benjamin Colton Barnes, 24, shows that he drowned, with a secondary cause of death of hypothermia.

KillerCharlie

KillerCharlie
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 8:47 pm 
There's all this talk of PTSD but from an article I recently read , this guy worked on radio equipment and was never in combat. It sounds like he had issues before the army. I'll see if I can find that article.