Forum Index > Trip Reports > Reflection Lakes 12/31-1/2
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
bettilaugh

bettilaugh
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 9:02 pm 
We were at Longmire when all this happened. Because my friend who accompanied us was an off-duty volunteer, she was asked to help with the evacuation. It was very scary knowing what happened, seeing all the police vehicles from every agency imaginable and knowing people where still up the mountain hiking. Glad you guys made it out safely and thank you for posting your experience.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
kayakbear

kayakbear
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 10:02 pm 
The media response to this TR has been truly overwhelming. I posted this to NWHikers because I feel this is a community, despite it's huge size, and I know many of you personally and wanted to share the story with you. I never thought (naive I know) that this would get so much press attention, much less be quoted by the media. Our group has been overwhelmed. Media requests should be directed to rainier@wwik.org. We are not interested in sensationalizing the story but serious inquires will be considered.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Hutch

Hutch
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 10:05 pm 
kayakbear wrote:
We are not interested in sensationalizing the story but serious inquires will be considered.
Best to stick with the print folks and stay away from people with television cameras then.

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 10:16 pm 
kayakbear, what a weekend you had. the news was shocking, and your trip report had me on the edge of my seat. so good to see that you were watched over during this crisis, and cared for - and you walked out in good company. my thoughts are with the ranger's family and friends. what a horrible event.
meandering Wa wrote:
I was thinking about those cups If you still have them, they might be good for starting seedlings in the Spring and planting as a memorial.
what a beautiful, sensitive, suggestion. I hope you do consider this idea in due time. healing thoughts to you and to your friends. V

jhamaker

jhamaker
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 10:51 pm 
A big hug to all Margaret's friends and family. Her smile will be sorely missed in the park. I'm a believer in e-mail interviews. Better opportunity for you to edit, less chance of saying something you did not mean or for you to be miss-interpreted. I also iam ntersted in what radio frequencies the NPS tried.

E-mail from this site chequed only irregularly. Ditto chequing this BB.
bullfrog

bullfrog
PostTue Jan 03, 2012 11:08 pm 
Thanks for posting your report. You are a great member of our hiking community. I think you are wise in the way you are handling the media inquiries. Stay away from the sensationalist broadcast media (I saw your coffee cup photos on the KOMO-TV news...hope it doesn't get much worse).

the Zachster

the Zachster
PostWed Jan 04, 2012 9:47 am 
Over 12,600 views...! eek.gif I think we have some visitors here! Kayakbear...your integrity and sensitive handling of your perspective on this horrific event makes us proud! winksmile.gif Thanks again.

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
Adventurous

Adventurous
PostWed Jan 04, 2012 10:11 am 
I saw a link to your report on Views from the Top. Thank you for taking the time to share your riveting experience - I was on the edge of my seat reading your TR. I'm glad to hear that your party was unharmed and hope that you'll never need to use the radio...should you decide to buy one.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostWed Jan 04, 2012 10:17 am 
The TR has gone semi-viral. It is all over Facebook, for one thing.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
bccarlso

bccarlso
PostWed Jan 04, 2012 10:19 am 
David¹
Token Canadian

David¹
Token Canadian
PostWed Jan 04, 2012 1:25 pm 
Allison wrote:
The TR has gone semi-viral. It is all over Facebook, for one thing.
Yes - nearly 15,000 views already - good for 5th on the all-time list* * because someone will probably ask: #4 - 15,482 - Jamim vs the Rattlesnake #3 - 16,351 - Foist at Little Beaver #2 - 17,939 - Josh/Flow & the Camp Muir Whiteout #1 - 29,626 - Schmidts w/ Tom & Dayhike Mike - Intro to North Cascades

Warning! Posts may contain traces of sarcasm. Hiking Website: http://members.shaw.ca/karenanddavid/Index.htm
Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostWed Jan 04, 2012 3:09 pm 
Over 16000 now! Getting closer... (I think some people keep opening & closing the thread, repeatedly, to bulk up the numbers...) Side-Note: I believe that Josh's Whiteout TR would have ultimately been #1, but for a variety of reasons that thread ended up getting locked from further comments being added to it. ------------ BTW- You would think they would have attached string to the two cups. That makes communication a lot easier. Or at least that is what I recall from childhood. clown.gif Quite the story! A couple of friends were skiing between Paradise and Camp Muir that day, and their story is also fascinating.

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 04, 2012 11:16 pm 
If you wish to contribute to a fund for Margaret Anderson's family, here is the info: Donations can be dropped off at any Key Bank branch, or mailed to Key Bank, P.O. Box 159, Eatonville, WA 98328. Checks should be designated for the Margaret Anderson Donation Account.

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 7:12 am 
kayak i read the Seattle Times article well done.

Stymee
mofo

Stymee
mofo
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 8:49 am 
meandering Wa wrote:
i read the Seattle Times article well done.
Yup, I saw this story on the front page of the Seattle Times too. Seattle Times article I've also seen it on several national websites. kayak handled the STimes interview with lots of class. Thank you for representing us well.