Forum Index > Trip Reports > Reflection Lakes 12/31-1/2
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
jd_hiker

jd_hiker
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 9:51 am 
Well done interview. I like the creativity shown by using what was available. Was there anything in the cups to keep them from blowing away? Just a little curious. But I am glad you all made it out safe.

I have 11 essentials, the 10 plus an extra camera battery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jd_hiker/ http://jdhascup.wordpress.com http://jdhascup.500px.com
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur

MikeBeebe
Seeking the Ur
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 10:20 am 
Your trip report was mentioned on NPR this morning. It was the local 88.5 NPR newsbreak at 8:30am.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Yet

Yet
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 10:35 am 
I am so glad you are safe, kayakbear.

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent

Redwic
Unlisted Free Agent
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 11:31 am 
The NWH website got recognition in the newspaper article, too. up.gif up.gif up.gif

60 pounds lighter but not 60 points brighter.
roadtripmom

roadtripmom
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 11:39 am 
The helicopter crew and team that lead you out sound like a bunch of really great folks. Thank you for sharing your story and so happy you are safe and sound.

Daryl
Big Shot Economist

Daryl
Big Shot Economist
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 11:42 am 
Excellent job on the article/interview/trip report and good idea avoiding the on camera interview. The whole thing was handled like a true pro. I hope you saved the cups! Enjoy your 15 minutes!

slickhorn

slickhorn
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 12:00 pm 
Hi all, this is Brian, kayakbear's partner. Thanks so much for all your support on this, it's been a little disconcerting for us. The AP is asking about the idea of planting trees in the message cups to honor of Ranger Anderson. I think this is a really great idea. We'd like to credit the right person -- anyone care to step up and claim that idea? I believe it was suggested earlier in this thread? I think we should make it happen. For myself, I must insist one of the trees be the holy Japanese Maple, relative of our native vine maple. Other than that, my only thought is that it would be great to make this a nwhikers event in some way. Thoughts?

Doppelganger

Doppelganger
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 12:03 pm 

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
foggy

foggy
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 12:17 pm 
Wow! What a trip report. Thank you for sharing your photos and comments. I'm so glad everyone else made it out safely, much credit to LE. My heart goes out to Ranger Anderson and her family.

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 5:14 pm 
Hooly smokes, front page of the paper and everything. The writer in me pretty much immediately saw the story in your story. up.gif I sent a pitch to the magazine I write for on covering the story. I love the idea of planting the trees in the cups, and hope that it could somehow be with your NWH peeps. I would love to come.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
glaciergriz

glaciergriz
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 5:18 pm 
Thank you for posting this. I attempted to email you with the below email address but it came back as an invalid email. I sent you a private message through this forum- so hopefully that works. Glad you made it out safely. A Montana LE Ranger

meandering Wa

meandering Wa
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 6:03 pm 
I have been in touch Kayaks party. I volunteer with the Nisqually Land Trust. They just acquired the VanEaton property which is the original homestead at the city limits of Eatonville, just east of the Pack Forest Reserve. I saw an article in the Tacoma News Tribune and the city has talked about long term goals for environment works, including a nature study trail and something akin to a Salmon Days. The Van Eaton property conserves a long stretch of the Mashel River. I do not know if the desired long term projects mentioned in the TNT relate to the Land trust lands or other adjacent city land. But since I was just up at that property pulling Scotch Broom, the idea of native plant seedlings jumped up. I have passed contact info on for the Nisqually Land Trust. The NLT also has property right outside the park gate. http://www.nisquallylandtrust.org/volunteer.php We are always looking for willing workers. Most of the projects are on Saturdays 9 - noon. But aside from that, if kayak et al coordinate with an Eatonvile effort or simply make a remembrance of their own it think it will be a special use for these items. Something about those cups... I dont think I could easily just throw them away.

kayakbear

kayakbear
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 6:52 pm 
I am posting what we as a group have decided on as the last post and then I am asking the moderators to lock this thread. Peace and healing to the families and communities affected by this tragedy. This whole event was an unmitigated tragedy, from start to finish, for everyone involved. The killing of a park ranger, already so senseless, is made so much worse by the damage to her family. For her husband to lose his wife in a place that must have been so important to them both is a loss of so much more than a loved one. But this is also a tragedy for the soldier and his family. We piled our yuppie toys in our SUV and drove off for a weekend of leisure, made possible by the sacrifices of servicemen like the shooter. We feel that this event arose, at least partially, out of the stresses of returning a troubled soldier to civilian life. We encourage people to engage with the Wounded Warrior Project (http://support.woundedwarriorproject.org) which helps with that adjustment and also fosters putting veterans in touch with people who can help them get out and explore the amazing outdoor recreation we have in this state. We'd also like the thank the first responders and particularly the air crew. We were shocked to find out the full extent of this tragedy once we were out of the park. It wasn't clear to us at the time how much had been done to keep an eye on us and protect us. We would like to express our appreciation for the professionalism of the folks who had our back. The chopper crew's quick thinking really helped us approach the situation the right way, without escalating concern to panic. The USFS Tactical Team were an impressive highly-capable group ready for a week-long back country manhunt. We felt very lucky to have such great support, and consider our survival a testament to their skill and dedication.

Damian

Damian
PostThu Jan 05, 2012 7:05 pm 
Locked by request of OP.